Author Topic: Is it ok to flat file posters one on top of the other ?  (Read 12526 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Is it ok to flat file posters one on top of the other ?
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »
Sorry ifthis has been asked and answered before,but is it ok to store posters in a stack,one on top of each other,or should i place an extra layer of acid free paper in between each poster ? Any thoughts ?

Stew
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:17:18 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Is it ok to flat file posters one on top of the other ?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
I have for years with no issue, just be darn sure there are NO stains on the poster, cause many things will creep through several posters in a hurry.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:58:05 PM »
I have for years with no issue, just be darn sure there are NO stains on the poster, cause many things will creep through several posters in a hurry.
Thanks mate,I have a couple of posters with pencil writing on the reverse, one that has heavy ink writing on the reverse side,should i worry about this when storing ,

Stew

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:00:59 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:43 PM »
for vintage 1sheets (as a matter of fact, I think all one sheet sizes that I have in drawers) I lay down a 1sheet plastic bag, put down a poster, another bag, put down a poster and create a sandwich all the way to the top of the stack. This has the use of helping the posters get nice & flat without any paper impression from the poster on top or bottom. I never put the posters inside the bags.

the only problem you may come across is that if you close the drawers anything more than slowly, the plastic slides around and you have to straighten the posters out which is a task. You can of course add a long thin piece of styrofoam to the back of the drawer that inhibits the slide.

I think my smaller posters are just stacked inside the drawers with no plastic sheets in between each poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:29:46 PM »
for vintage 1sheets (as a matter of fact, I think all one sheet sizes that I have in drawers) I lay down a 1sheet plastic bag, put down a poster, another bag, put down a poster and create a sandwich all the way to the top of the stack. This has the use of helping the posters get nice & flat without any paper impression from the poster on top or bottom. I never put the posters inside the bags.

the only problem you may come across is that if you close the drawers anything more than slowly, the plastic slides around and you have to straighten the posters out which is a task. You can of course add a long thin piece of styrofoam to the back of the drawer that inhibits the slide.

I think my smaller posters are just stacked inside the drawers with no plastic sheets in between each poster
Thanks Rich, I guess adding an extra layer in between is down to preference, I would do what you suggest, just as peace of mind.
This would place a barrier between any "leeching" mishaps  i would hope ?

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 01:54:47 PM »
Thanks Rich, I guess adding an extra layer in between is down to preference, I would do what you suggest, just as peace of mind.
This would place a barrier between any "leeching" mishaps  i would hope ?
Stew

leeching is going to take a very long time (years) but it is good to protect from it
I actually use my technique to A) help the poster get flattened and B) to prevent any tape present on the back of a poster from doing anything to the poster below it

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
The posters can move even if you have nothing between them.... I don't personally put anything in between them, mainly because of the space issue; But as Dale says, I don't put any with tape, or stains in the drawers, I keep them separate...   
It's more than a Hobby...

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:17:12 PM »
I never put the posters inside the bags.

I use 4mil bags and put the posters in the bag. I would say if you tend to look at your posters, take them out, etc. the bags will save one some day.  One of my Swan La Boca quads was saved when moving a few days ago.  It slipped out of a stack and slid into the edge of the plywood box.  But since I had about an inch of empty bag all the way around it was fine. If there was no bag it would have a 1/4 in or more tear in it now.  What I do is keep the really good stuff in bags and stack the rest of it without anything.  You can get 100 4mil bags from uline (archival safe) for $60 or $70.... 

Funny how the poster God's remind you they are there.  I only dropped one poster out of 1,500; really the La Boca Swan?  Maybe they are trying to tell me I have too many...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
I use 4mil bags and put the posters in the bag.

here's the problem with that Charlie:

it is easier to move an unbagged flat poster by itself with no damage (meaning creases) than it is to move a bagged flat poster, largely because you can control the paper but you can't control the bag due to it's weight. So particularly with newer posters on glossy paper, you begin to see those fingernail-sized "dents" and other small creases over time..

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 02:30:10 PM »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »

Charlie

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »

it is easier to move an unbagged flat poster by itself with no damage (meaning creases) than it is to move a bagged flat poster, largely because you can control the paper but you can't control the bag due to it's weight. So particularly with newer posters on glossy paper, you begin to see those fingernail-sized "dents" and other small creases over time..

Guess we will have to agree to disagree; I have had good success with heavier bags and am confident that the bags actually provide better protection versus no bags (especially when considering pushing and pulling them out of a drawer or shelf).  The bags reduce frayed edges and when flattened the bag and poster act as one sheet and are very fluid. I can only think of a few instance where "finger-nailing" may have occurred and the result without the bag would have been much worse.  Like once I turned around with poster in hand and hit a chair. The heaviness of the bag allowed the poster to bend and probably create "finger-nailing" but without it it would have most likely ripped or frayed the edge.

When carrying a stack of 40 or so I did have an edge bend under.  But with the additional rigidity of the bag it was only a soft fold versus w/o it would have been worse...

Besides I am not going to take 800 posters out of bags at this point...

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 03:30:03 PM »

Oh yeah perhaps it may also have to do with buying 30" wide x 42" long bags so the area I am handling the poster with has not poster in it. So if I pull a poster out I am pulling plastic only.  There is rarely actually pressure on the poster itself (except the quads).  I position all the posters to one particular side to avoid actually gripping the poster itself.  I am actually thinking of moving up to 32" x 44" bags for additional room and to accommodate Argentinian one sheets...

It slipped out of a stack and slid into the edge of the plywood box.  But since I had about an inch of empty bag all the way around it was fine. If there was no bag it would have a 1/4 in or more tear in it now. 

I just realized I contradicted myself, regarding the salvation of the 30" quad (there would not be an inch all the way around).  The bags would have had an inch on top and bottom but not the sides. So when the quad slipped, the bottom of the bag hit the box not the side and prevented damage. There is also a sealed edge that provides additional strength at the bottom. My apologies if I mislead.  But you can buy 32" bags...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:36:26 PM by Charlie »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 03:43:43 PM »
I have heard arguments for both sides in regards to laying posters on each other (or stacking folded posters together, whatever) or separating.

Right now, mine are folded and in a box, and the rolled ones are in bags and in tubes (I know, I know).
My flat file has mostly prints that are in sleeves (poly and mylar) as well as flat movie paper (one sheets, daybills, inserts, half sheets, the works).

I agree with Rich that the sliding from using any sort of sleeves can be an issue, that needs to be controlled.

Also, Dale's point is a good one in terms of keeping a poster with stains away or not in direct contact with others. Also consider markings such as stamps (?) or marker, etc. that is usually found on the back of older one sheets. Just something to think about.

I would also suggest using acid-free paper such as Japanese mulberry paper that you can cut just bigger than the posters. This way the sliding is not an issue (or as much), and the posters are protected obviously.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
One poster touching another poster without protection???  Just make sure your US one sheets know the word for disease (enfermedad) before they jump into the drawer with the Mexican lobbies.  It will save you a lot of pain later.

But on a serious note, I prefer to use a spacer.  Though, I don't really have any specific reason why.  Any poster with even the remote chance of having mold on it is a different story, however.  That stuff definitely spreads, and I keep those separated.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »
The only thing that matters is the level of humidity where you live.  For me in Southern Cal, there is no need for anything.  My posters are the same than when I purchased them, just flatter and nicer.  For Holiday, who lives in South Florida, it would be crazy since the level of humidity is extremely high.  That's all you need to be concerned about.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 08:56:13 PM »
The only thing that matters is the level of humidity where you live.  For me in Southern Cal, there is no need for anything.  My posters are the same than when I purchased them, just flatter and nicer.  For Holiday, who lives in South Florida, it would be crazy since the level of humidity is extremely high.  That's all you need to be concerned about.

I'm mostly concerned about getting too old and my posters wanting to date someone else

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 09:06:07 PM »
Don't forget that when you are hanging a poster, you are not just hanging that poster, but every other poster it ever touched :)
-Jay-

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:38 PM »
Don't forget that when you are hanging a poster, you are not just hanging that poster, but every other poster it ever touched :)

I have a Long John Silver poster from the 1950s release

I had it laying flat and a Deep Throat poster was laying on top, face down

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »
I have a Long John Silver poster from the 1950s release

I had it laying flat and a Deep Throat poster was laying on top, face down

That conjures up some pretty disturbing images.... mesmrized

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 11:48:41 PM »
I'm mostly concerned about getting too old and my posters wanting to date someone else

Well Rich, I'm younger than you, and available to date (posters) so let me know if one of yours is interested. And make it some of your horror ones not those shitty Raymond Chandlers...  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Charlie

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 06:43:51 AM »
Well Rich, I'm younger than you, and available to date (posters) so let me know if one of yours is interested. And make it some of your horror ones not those shitty Raymond Chandlers...  ;)

I like older women...