Author Topic: Moving ~1500 posters.. (Hoping I don't have to do it again for a long time)  (Read 6134 times)

Charlie

Phase 1 Posters Stored Flat - Thought I would capture the move and present some techniques...

So I started to move some of my posters and started with those stored flat.  I had built a plywood moving box a while back when we first started thinking about moving.

Empty. I built it out of 3/4" plywood and was building three boxes but after the prototype realized that it was really heavy and may have been too conservative... So I only built one.

I though Gremlins was an appropriate poster...

Full, leaving 3/4" clearance for the lid...

Closed up tight.  I have to use a screwdriver to get it open.

Strong enough to stand on.  My design was such that I could stack multiple boxes of the same design on top..

I'll see how it goes tomorrow when we take it to the new house....

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
I really want to store most of my collection flat, but I am dreading moving it.  It would be one thing if I were the one moving the stuff, but it always goes with a mover.  I'd build a box like that, but I know it would end up on its end or side at some point, and then what happens to the posters?  I wonder if some high density foam blocks affixed to the underside of the lid would keep them from ending up a crumpled mass at one side of the crate?
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Charlie

I really want to store most of my collection flat, but I am dreading moving it.  It would be one thing if I were the one moving the stuff, but it always goes with a mover.  I'd build a box like that, but I know it would end up on its end or side at some point, and then what happens to the posters?  I wonder if some high density foam blocks affixed to the underside of the lid would keep them from ending up a crumpled mass at one side of the crate?

Yeah, I think that would actually help quite a bit.  I think the way to do it would be to get that 1/2 foam core cut the to exact size of the box and then some memory type foam to go on top of the foam core and then actually putting quite a bit of pressure within the box on the posters to create the necessary friction to prevent lateral movement.  But you never know.  Luckily, I am moving only a few miles west so I will be taking multiple loads one box at a time without a mover.  We are going to take the important stuff first and then get movers to get the heavy boxes and furniture...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Moving sounds such a great idea, but the logistics of moving a large collection are a nightmare.  I Moved house 2 1/2 years back and what a task. Luckily I had a few friends and family helping (10 of us), two Small lorry's, and 5 Cars... I did 9 trips in the largest Lorry, as the move had to be done in a day... 

The only thing to be damaged was the back of a chair, the collection went without a hitch. Except for finding space for it all. ;)

Good luck with the move Charlie, I don't envy the task at all...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
1500 posters ... hope the move goes well!
And safely!!!!!!

Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Best of luck with the move, man!

Charlie

Thanks for the well wishes.  The first load went well...  Moved 300 or so rolled posters and a hundred of the flat posters with out issue...  I have no clue what I am going to store them in since my flat file deal hasn't been finalized...