Author Topic: HARRY POTTER 1 SHEET STRUZAN AUTHENTICATION QUESTION  (Read 3409 times)

scartacus

HARRY POTTER 1 SHEET STRUZAN AUTHENTICATION QUESTION
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:04:25 AM »
Hi guys

Been out of the poster game for a long time due to financial armageddon. Have dipped my toe back for Christmas, buying a Struzan Harry Potter 1 sheet ds advance for my daughter for Christmas from a ebay seller. The paper feels good but I've heard there are reprints out there -- the size of my poster is slightly small -- 27 inches by 39.5. Is this a red flag?

Would a kind soul who has one of these posters please tell me whether I've bought a lemon for Christmas?

thanks

Dominic

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: HARRY POTTER 1 SHEET STRUZAN AUTHENTICATION QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
Nice to see you back, Dom.
AP just did this excellent overview of that poster and the other first release issues.  Check it out: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,3424.0.html
Hope you find the answer to your question.

scartacus

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
Thanks for the link, ted. Nice thread.

My poster is the Struzan US ds advance. The size is my worry -- mine comes in at 39.5 inches x 27. Anyone know if this indicates it is a reprint?

D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
Thanks for the link, ted. Nice thread.

My poster is the Struzan US ds advance. The size is my worry -- mine comes in at 39.5 inches x 27. Anyone know if this indicates it is a reprint?

D

I don't have mine handy to measure, but I have found that reprints are usually smaller on both vertical and horizontal measures.
I could be wrong; maybe someone else will chime in.
If it's a full 27" in width and the reverse image is paler than the front, odds are yours is an original.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:29:21 PM »
A lot of people own the reprint on this title and don't even know it.  I did, for a while, until I compared it to the original and switched them.  I just dug it up and the original's measurements are 27 1/16 x 40 inches.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

scartacus

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »
thanks for replies guys. Thierry -- do you think it's a dead cert it's a reprint at 27 by 39.5 inches?

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 03:41:18 PM »
A lot of people own the reprint on this title and don't even know it.  I did, for a while, until I compared it to the original and switched them. 
Switched em?
Does this mean you did the follow the queen shim sham on someone?

Stew

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »
It means I went to a poster store, saw the original and traded it for my reprint.  My buddy probably sold the reprint as an original, but it doesn't concern me.  It was years ago.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 03:47:37 PM »
thanks for replies guys. Thierry -- do you think it's a dead cert it's a reprint at 27 by 39.5 inches?

Yes Dominic.  100%.  Sorry.

T
My Personal Collection

scartacus

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
bummer. £40 down the shitter. The exact measurement is 39.7 inch.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »
Send it back.  Get reimbursed thru Paypal if they give you shit.  I do it all the time.  The buyer always wins.

T
My Personal Collection

scartacus

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
Will do T. Thanks and you all have a good Crimbo.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
I'll have to get mine out now and check to see whether it's legit or not, thanks for the info eatbrie, I'll add the info. to me Potter thread so it's up-to-date. If anyone else has specific design/size information on Philosopher's/Sorcerer's posters feel free to add it to the Potter thread in the genres section.

scartacus

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »
As a result of T's help, I asked and got a refund.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »
Go T! Lol.

Glad to see you got a refund.

Best wishes,
Adam