Author Topic: S2 Art Group Movie Poster Litho Reproductions  (Read 88385 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

S2 Art Group Movie Poster Litho Reproductions
« on: December 15, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
Just got my 27x41 Woman In Red directly from The S2 Art Group and it definitely is quite impressive.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 05:07:05 PM by erik1925 »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: S2 Art Group Movie Poster Litho Reproductions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 07:12:30 PM »
Just got my 27x41 Woman In Red directly from The S2 Art Group and it definitely is quite impressive.

Stunning color Mel..sweet one..

Stew
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 05:07:32 PM by erik1925 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:37:35 AM »
It's very striking for sure - but what is with the giant white bottom border?  Is the original like that?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 02:34:09 AM »
I was wondering the same thing myself.  I could not find a picture of an original on an auction site but I did find a picture of what appears to be the original here:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:37:40 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »
I was wondering the same thing myself.  I could not find a picture of an original on an auction site but I did find a picture of what appears to be the original here:

Looks like S2 didn't center the central image vertically... too little border (compared to original) at top and too much at bottom

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 08:37:06 AM »
I know it is a recreation or tribute but the blue credit text at the bottom should have been put in the white border at the bottom to give it a more authentic feel. 

The way they've done it makes it look like a simple scan of the poster on printer paper that is too large!
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 09:08:42 AM »
I know it is a recreation or tribute but the blue credit text at the bottom should have been put in the white border at the bottom to give it a more authentic feel. 

The way they've done it makes it look like a simple scan of the poster on printer paper that is too large!

Yes, good spotting, eagle eye Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 06:47:53 PM »
Shame on y'all Commonwealth cheeseballs for trying to make me cry at Christmas!

It looks just fine - even sublime - to me....

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:49:19 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 11:48:26 PM »
Mel, don't get me wrong it is still a beautiful poster and looks great framed but they could have done it better in my opinion
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 01:11:19 AM »
Yes, a bit  ;)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:13:03 AM by 50s »

Charlie

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
Man, Mel you can't get a break...  There are a lot of haters on APF...  Just asked Michael; he's excitingly shows off his new ROLEX and a couple of forum members start crapping on it. 

I think we should all stick to the old adage "If you can't say something nice, keep it to your fucking self!" (unless your posting in the "Fuck the Liberal Agenda", "Fuck Rick Perry", "Fuck the Teaparty", or any "Lets Fuck with Ted and Brian, to see if their heads will explode ;)" threads)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
Just asked Michael; he's excitingly shows off his new ROLEX and a couple of forum members start crapping on it. 

The thing is Charlie, what exactly does a Rolex have to do with movie posters?
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »
All kidding aside, the unexpected extra inch of border on the S2 The Woman In Red is no big deal because the original is 60% text/title/white space anyway.   I could return/exchange it but have no interest in doing so.

However, I think the extra border space would detract from a poster like The Mummy, which has a larger image and is the next S2 poster I'll get, if I ever get another:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:57:27 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
The thing is Charlie, what exactly does a Rolex have to do with movie posters?

It was in the randomness thread. I like to think of the forum at some point becomes more than about posters and closer to a community of movie poster collectors.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
Redheads v. blondes!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 12:54:26 PM »
Redheads...

:D

Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »

I think we should all stick to the old adage "If you can't say something nice, keep it to your fucking self!"

I disagree with this,but then again I also put all my eggs in one f*cking basket...I`m kind of a rule breaker... ;D

Stew
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 01:06:15 PM by stewart boyle »

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 01:51:58 PM »
I know kind of bullish of me (and I know Mel can take care of himself) but he was obviously really proud of this purchase (and it wasn't cheap). I mean, he started a thread about it...  I don't know the histories, so I may be at a loss regarding Mel. And everyone can do what they damn well please, but at times there seems to be a lack of courtesy.  I guess, if I would have dropped $300+ on an S2 and had a guy tell me how fugly it was, I may be a bit disheartened about the purchase... 

It may the pain meds that have me all screwed up (survived another damn day surgery yesterday - I'm falling apart) but I just felt for the guy and had to comment.  I would have done the same for Chris or Stew or anyone...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 02:05:29 PM »
Just out of curiousity..who would have made the decison to move the bottom credits to inside the poster image ?,rather than faithfully reproducing that text underneath the poster,as far as I know S2s` are produced using authentic(?) printer presses..etc..Almost as close to the original as you could want.
Is the moving of the final text,throwing off the alignment?

Stew

Painfully long winded question but,hopefully someone can set me right..

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »
It was in the randomness thread. I like to think of the forum at some point becomes more than about posters and closer to a community of movie poster collectors.

And Rolex buyers?  ;)
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »
I know kind of bullish of me (and I know Mel can take care of himself) but he was obviously really proud of this purchase (and it wasn't cheap). I mean, he started a thread about it...  I don't know the histories, so I may be at a loss regarding Mel. And everyone can do what they damn well please, but at times there seems to be a lack of courtesy.  I guess, if I would have dropped $300+ on an S2 and had a guy tell me how fugly it was, I may be a bit disheartened about the purchase... 

It may the pain meds that have me all screwed up (survived another damn day surgery yesterday - I'm falling apart) but I just felt for the guy and had to comment.  I would have done the same for Chris or Stew or anyone...

I was not knocking Mel's purchase (although I would never spend $300+ on this sort of thing).  It was a comment about the poster itself and would have applied to anyone who bought this particular poster.  In fact, I suggested to Mel when Bruce's S2 went for higher than Mel's bid that he just splurge on the extra $25 and get it direct from S2 (you know, in the spirit of Christmas and all that)...
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 02:53:18 PM »
Charlie, I think you're making too big a deal of it.  The 1/2" expansion (to 1 1/2") of the borders is a fair criticism but not that important to me.

As far as the value, I agree with Bruce that you need to see it to appreciate it.  You simply can't make a higher-quality "recreation" than this and the pictures don't "do it justice."

I think it's well worth $350, especially since I'm going to display it at the office and it is essentially impossible to obtain an original.  How many of these are left?  Surely less than 5.  Who knows how much it would auction for?  This similar 1930 Greta Garbo sold for $38K this year, SEVEN times its estimate:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:01:51 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »
Very nice Mel (you just can't stay away eh? ;) )
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »
The colours are really great on these S2's
Chris

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector