Author Topic: Have you seen the prices of recent posters lately?  (Read 5866 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Have you seen the prices of recent posters lately?
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
I'm going mad.  I keep getting overbid on stupid posters I don't even want in the first place, posters I'm getting as fillers for specific collections of mine.  I bid what I would have bid last year and won last year.  But this year is a different story.  There are multiple bidders, snipers on everything.  I don't know if it's a sign of how healthy our hobby is, but it sure looks like it.

eatshit always
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:51:30 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Re: Have you seen the prices of recent posters lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »
I'm going mad.  I keep getting overbid on stupid posters I don't even want in the first place, posters I'm getting because I need to get as fillers in collections of mine.  I bid what I would have bid last year and won last year.  But this year is a different story.  There are multiple bidders, snipers on everything.  I don't know if it's a sign of how healthy our hobby is, but it sure looks like it.

eatshit always
Could be T,when it comes down to low end posters..they are still relitavely cheap,so I can always splurge on these without stretching my budget..
High end stuff..that may be totally different...

Stew

I see the sniper Karma has kicked in.. Maybe we need this smiley
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 01:14:29 PM by stewart boyle »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »
I don't know what's low end or high end when it comes to new posters.  To me, it's pretty much low end altogether, which makes it even more annoying when I have to fight for it and ultimately overpay.  I'm okay playing the game on older gear, but I wasn't aware so many people were into 2011 movie posters.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »
Yes, something is wrong when we begin wax nostalgic about the good old days -- the cost of NEW posters just last year.
We are living in Bizarro World, Mr.Kent...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
It's Quite funny how Last year you were singing the prises of snipping....  ;)

T, you just need to stop buying this modern Rubbish. Stick to posters like you posted last week, as long term you'll be glad you did...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »

T, you just need to stop buying this modern Rubbish. Stick to posters like you posted last week, as long term you'll be glad you did...

Sound advice right there.  I think completism is a very unhealthy sickness
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:29:38 PM »
Sound advice right there.  I think completism is a very unhealthy sickness

Too true.  Pulp Fiction cured me of this.  I was planning on collecting all of Taratino's work, but, half-way through collecting stuff on PF, I looked at my tenth version of Uma and said 'nuts to this shit'.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
It's Quite funny how Last year you were singing the prises of snipping....  ;)

Easier said than done.  I've tried but how can I stop Spielberg?  Or AA nominees?  I have so many already, and with up to 10 nominees a year, that's a lot of posters to buy.  I will be wrong on a bunch of them too, but if I don't do it prior to the nominations, then I have to deal with reprints and even higher prices.

I've been waiting for years for the end of paper posters, my only way out of this hell.  Alas, even though the technology is all there, theater owners refuse to spend the money, especially these days.

T
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:26:43 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »

I've been waiting for years for the end of paper posters, my only way out of this hell.

I am not seeing the hell. Seems to me that you are having a great time.

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
I would say that on 50s, 60s and 70s paper the prices have dipped a little.  So I am trying to get as much as I can hence the Cleo and Grace purchases...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 06:54:01 PM »
I would say that on 50s, 60s and 70s paper the prices have dipped a little.  So I am trying to get as much as I can hence the Cleo and Grace purchases...

As we get older and the new collectors get younger and younger wont that continue to happen?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
Hey tight wad, if you would send me the list of what you want, when you buy 10 titles or so, save on shipping, and I will price them cheaper.  ;D

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »
hahaha at Dales answer.

I like to talk with the dealer separately and see if we can come to a deal. Most of the time it works. The only ones that have problems with coming to a deal are the more expensive guys that want to hold on to there collection and offer rediculious pricing. Which I don't even bother with anymore.
For example, I found some posters on ebay, I emailed the seller and said lets make deal. I want these 10, lets make a deal. He gave me his price, and I eventually talked him down to almost half price.

Dale offers great pricing, he even gave me a good shipping price and deal on 1 poster alone.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:36:57 PM by bigmike »

DreamWarrior

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 08:07:11 PM »
As we get older and the new collectors get younger and younger wont that continue to happen?
I would think so. I'm 24 and collect mostly 80's and newer with some exceptions. I guess the young bucks are helping the old timers out assuming they stick to old timey paper. 8)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 08:11:47 PM »
21 here. I am into the 80s and 90s posters. Some newer ones. But will not overpay for something either unless I know its hard to find or want it at that moment.

Juli

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »
When I was collecting I collected mainly 90s to now with the exception of a few older posters (Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Shining comes to mind). The posters I ended up deciding to keep are all 1990s-2010s.

~ Juli

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »
I collect everything from 1940 to 2012.  I'm pretty much done with the 80s (510 different titles, many, many more posters since I collect from all around the world and have many different posters for the same movie), done with the 90s (456 titles) and closed on the 00s (792 titles).  Aside from the newer stuff I already complained about,  I now concentrate on the 70s (282 titles so far), the 60s (230 titles) and the 50s (66 titles).  The 40s are not even worth mentioning, but I'm slowly turning my attention to it.

Eatbrie
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
And to all of you in your 20s, I truly believe that if you stick to the hobby and if you love cinema, you will eventually turn your attention to 60s and 70s titles.  It happened to me (I started with the 80s too) and to many other collectors.  We start with what we know, and if collecting is in your blood, you eventually move to new pastures, especially as you become older and wealthier.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
and if you love cinema, you will eventually turn your attention to 60s and 70s titles. 

...And if you REALLY love cinema, you might eventually get to silents.  Then you know the disease has metastasized. 

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »
...And if you REALLY love cinema, you might eventually get to silents.  Then you know the disease has metastasized. 

--Peter

But the best is "lost" silents.  One of a kind posters for films that no longer exist.  Like the one in my avatar.
-Jay-

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »

--Peter

You got that right, Peter.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
...And if you REALLY love cinema, you might eventually get to silents.  Then you know the disease has metastasized.  

--Peter

Honestly, I don't think so, Peter.  I've seen my taste evolve over the years, and I know this is a threshold I won't cross.  If only because I don't like the designs of these posters.  Then comes the fact that I don't like silent films.  I did like The Artist a lot, but that's because it's about crossing over to the talkies.

T
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:53:07 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
Can I ask why collectors of multiple 'new film' posters even bid at all at the time of the film's release?

Three months down the line and they will be picked up for pennies and ha'pennies, no?

I daresay the anomoly will be the variations that occasionally pop up but in real terms, these will be few and far between, I am guessing.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
2 reasons:

1) Reprints invade the market and it become increasingly difficult to distinguish one from the other.
2) A lot of those posters actually disappear.  Don't ask me why, but I've looked for posters I forgot to buy when the film came out and could not find them.  Ask anyone looking for recent Woody Allen movies for example.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »
Ok, fair play.

Although I do wonder, with the wealth of knowledge on these forums, why reprints could never be distinguished...

Cheers.