Author Topic: Which countries do you collect most from and why  (Read 45505 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Which countries do you collect most from and why
« on: December 10, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
A question I've meant to ask for a while now.  As I grow older in the hobby, I find myself more attracted to the artwork of some countries versus others.

The best (IMO, of course):
1 France (size matters, and artists like Soubie, Grinsson, Noel, Belinski, Hurel and others are a notch above all.  And no, it's not because I'm French.)
1 Italy (the paper sucks, it is very difficult to get mint old Italian posters, but the designs are simply breathtaking.  Not into locandinas.)
2 Japan (great art, a little too busy at times, especially for older titles.  Japanese lettering can add to the art, or overtake it.)
3 Poland and Eastern Europe (just for the weirdness of it all and a pure attempt of expression by repressed artists.)

Okay

4 US (very middle of the road in most cases, I have yet to fall in love with an artist.  For 90% of the titles, I find the French and Italian designs way more appealing.)
5 Australia (only OS.)
6 UK (I like the format, but not a huge fan of poster artists in general.  But the format is great.)
7 Thai (not very refine, but always entertaining with added visuals.)
7 Turkish (same as above.)

No appeal to me
8 Spain (paper quality sucks, artists like Jano are certainly commendable, but the printing is usually awful.)
9 Argentina (I don't know enough to comment, but I haven't seen anything amazing thus far.)
10 Belgium (too small and way too much lettering... Repeating a title 3 times might have something to do with it.)

Now remember, this is all personal taste, but I'm very interested to hear what strikes you guys fancy and why.

T
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:06:37 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Which countries do you collect most from and why
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
I mainly collect Quads as we all know, but have quite a range of sizes and countries. It's mostly about the film for me, I buy from films I like to posters I like.  Mostly Quads and F.O.H. Stills as that's what I remember growing up with at the local cinema's.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
but have quite a range of sizes and countries.

Can you expend, Paul?
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
In the past, I would generally avoid any non-English language posters, but I am delving deeper into the international paper these days and have found many beautiful designs.
Despite any of my critical comments below, there are exceptions to every rule and I have found 'must have' posters from ALL of the following countries.
While my collection might not accurately reflect my evolving taste in poster art, this is how I roll at the moment...

1) US (One sheets are my favorite size posters; a great diversity of past/present artists -- Brown, McGinnis, Peak, Amsel, Alvin, Struzan, Frazetta, Boris, etc.,etc.)
2) UK (Quads and UK one sheets are favorites especially when they utilize different art)
3) Australia (not a big daybill fan, but I really like the Aussie one sheets when they use different art)
4) Italy (Any size except locadinas; past poster artists might be the most talented ever to paint movie advertising)
5) Spain (One sheet designs are often very passionate and creative and I love the Spanish language)
6) Argentina (One sheets, for the same reasons I dig posters from Spain above)
7) Thailand (Outrageously original with 'in your face' graphics and color)
8) German (Very bold and brash, but larger posters are definitely hard to find)
9) France (Like some of the artists but posters are either too large or too small)
10) Turkey (Some interesting designs, but too much swiping from other artists)
11) Belgian (Love the colors, but too much typography and too small in size)
12) Japan (Great printing and some fine artists, but generally cluttered and heavy on photos)
13) Poland and East Germany (Like a few, but can't yet wrap my head around their 'unique' perspective on movie advertising)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:53:23 PM by brude »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:58:25 PM »
Australia - stone litho/hand litho - colour saturation is striking in most cases.  Daybills are easy to store and frame (well somewhat anyways).  Art on Aussie one sheets generally is much better executed then on daybills.  In most cases I dislike the use of photos as art and so the Aussie lithography is perfect for me.  Finding daybills for certain titles is also a big challenge due to their relative scarcity vs. US and other countries - this enhances the thrill of the hunt (even if I am almost exclusively at the mercy of what is posted to the internet - and what my generous Aussie Agents can locate on the ground ;) )

Unfortunately, the standards on many daybills declined significantly by the mid to late 50s leading to some embarassingly ugly posters :(

Oh and there are no (apart from a few select instances) specifically Canadian posters.

That said, I of course do have have several US posters and a couple Belgians (where the artwork can be amazingly rendered!)  

Japan - 0% interest in any of these posters - partially because of the language but mainly, as Ted noted, due to overuse of photographs
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:03:44 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »
Can you expend, Paul?

Well I have 10x8 stills, lobby cards, Mex lobby cards, photobustas, Belgians, a couple of window cards, inserts, daybills, Half-sheets, one sheets, Quads, 2 sheets, 3 sheets, 4 sheets, 6 sheets, and 12 sheets...Size-wise. A few other odds.

Posters from U.K. U.S. France, Spain, Australia, Belgium, Italy, a couple from Germany as I'm not keen on German posters, Maybe a few others.  I don't have any Japanese, or chinese posters as I can't get away with the writing.... I have been tempted, but as I've said before there's a lot of posters out there, and I'd rather pick up another Quad than those.  

I've probably missed something out...

Edit, and bus stop posters...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:04:17 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot Australia.  But only for OS.  And Italy, only for OS or 2S.  I generally stay away from Daybills and Locandinas.  Like Belgium posters, too small.

@Ted... It's funny, I've heard of this "English only" thing you mentioned, and this is something I never quite understood.  Maybe it's because I'm a foreigner myself.  I love Japanese posters even though I can't read a word of Japanese.  It's all about concept and design for me, how the lettering is placed on the artwork, which is also why older Japanese posters can be overbearing and busy.  I really don't care if I can read it or not.
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »
I collect from the US because I don't travel as much as I used to

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »
1. Japan (Art and size)
2. US Silk Screens (Limited number and art)
3. Italy and France (Art and size)
4. US and UK (Lightboxes)
5. Poland (Different expression)
6. Thai and Turkish (Artwork)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:04:21 PM »
1. Quads (Fiscal limitations)

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »
@Ted... It's funny, I've heard of this "English only" thing you mentioned, and this is something I never quite understood.  Maybe it's because I'm a foreigner myself.  I love Japanese posters even though I can't read a word of Japanese.  It's all about concept and design for me, how the lettering is placed on the artwork, which is also why older Japanese posters can be overbearing and busy.  I really don't care if I can read it or not.

I think that is a holdover from my youth when I got true enjoyment 'reading' the entire poster, complete with cast and credits.
I would savor every word and read them aloud like a commercial.
Needless to say, I don't do that anymore...I read 'em silently now.  wynk

Seriously, the internet and forums like this have opened my eyes to the wealth of beautiful posters from all around the world.
The language barriers I previously had have thankfully eroded and crumbled.
My collection is starting to expand with more and more foreign entries and I am sure that as I dig deeper, I will find a lot more to collect from countries that I currently do not.
Except for Ghana. They are mother-fucking ugly.  wynk

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
Except for Ghana. They are mother-fucking ugly.  wynk

Yeah AND scary!
Chris

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 02:42:42 PM »
90-95% of my collection is US one sheets/UK quads - mainly country of origin - to me there should be a connection between the artwork, title and tagline in a a film poster - if I cannot regrettably read the words on a non-English language poster, unless it is country of origin or the film has a connection with the country of the poster,  the artwork has to compensate by being striking. Italian posters from the 1950's (two-foglio size) are perhaps my favourite genre but I generally prefer as close to one sheet size as possible from other countries.

I know Japanese posters are popular on this forum but I personally have a lot of difficulty making a connection between Japanese script and artwork for a film which depicts a "western" theme and consequently I only have around a dozen such posters.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 02:59:19 PM »
What strikes me most so far is how we are all so different.  I think it's very encouraging and it explains why a forum like ours is so diverse, interesting and a constant learning experience.

T
My Personal Collection

Muddyfunster

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 03:50:29 PM »
Aside from the fact I have a Japanese poster site, of what I personally collect, it is not just to do with style, art etc, but also potential market value.

For me it's:
1. US One Sheets - most collectable size for classic posters
2. UK Quads - like the fact the size has a cinema screen ratio
3. Japanese - love the variations of art work that pop up and use of textured paper
4. Italian - love the art work but sizes are quite impractical
5. French - again the sizes are awkard - either grand is too big or small size is too small.

Definitely not interested in Belgian posters - they just don't seem to hold much value.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »
Aside from the fact I have a Japanese poster site, of what I personally collect, it is not just to do with style, art etc, but also potential market value.

For me it's:
1. US One Sheets - most collectable size for classic posters
2. UK Quads - like the fact the size has a cinema screen ratio
3. Japanese - love the variations of art work that pop up and use of textured paper
4. Italian - love the art work but sizes are quite impractical
5. French - again the sizes are awkard - either grand is too big or small size is too small.

Definitely not interested in Belgian posters - they just don't seem to hold much value.

Sensing a lot of hatt for Belgians..whats the story ?

Stew

William99

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
I enjoy collecting;
US One Sheets / Half Sheets & Inserts (like the thicker paper stock)
Australian Litho Daybills
UK Quads
French panels

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 04:30:21 PM »
1. US -- available, and country of origin for a lot of the films I am interested in
2. Japan -- i love that they often use very high quality paper and inks.  the closest thing to screen print found in theater paper.
3. UK -- often superior art, but also often much harder to find than their American counterparts
4. Thai -- usually different, very appealing art.  But, very little variation in artistic style.
5. Czech -- i usually prefer them over polish, but they are similar
6. Hungarian -- almost without exception, I love the art on these.  would be higher if they were more available
7. Italian/French -- love the art on many, but like Ed said, I find the sizes awkward
8. Romania -- see #6, though I have seen more stinkers from this country
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 04:38:24 PM »
6. Hungarian -- almost without exception, I love the art on these.  would be higher if they were more available

Care to share ?

Stew

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 04:46:18 PM »
Care to share ?

Stew

Here are the two I own (soon to be a third).  I will post pics of that one when I have it. 

Hungarian Star Wars Trilogy (from Thierry's site)

That is a sample, and there are others.  Its even hard to find digital images for some, let alone the actual posters.  I love the style though.  To me, it sits somewhere between the ultra-abstract that is usually found in polish art and the literal interpretation of the Thai artists.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
Here are the two I own (soon to be a third).  I will post pics of that one when I have it.  

Hungarian Star Wars Trilogy (from Thierry's site)

That is a sample, and there are others.  Its even hard to find digital images for some, let alone the actual posters.  I love the style though.  To me, it sits somewhere between the ultra-abstract that is usually found in polish art and the literal interpretation of the Thai artists.

Cheers man, I love the indistinct border on the GF,I also like the Apocalypse Now..Star Wars.meh..

Stew
Very late edit..
The Empire posters are pretty cool too...

Stew
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 05:27:50 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
Going by body count alone.

1) U.S....They are easier to get.
2) Japan...Many of them just appeal to me.
3,4,5,6,7 are too close to call so Ill just say....
3) Europe

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:22:31 PM by Zorba »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
The order I would grab first in a fire:
- US posters (6 sheet colors I love)
- Italian (great artwork)
- Mexican Lobby Cards (comprise half my collection)
- Leave the quads and daybills to make their own way out ;)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
No Pakistani posters on anyones list??

Mine are (in pretty much of order)

US
French 47x63s
Quads
Italian Manifestos
Pakistanis
Some Japanese posters
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:49:17 PM by bigmike »

tstatum

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 10:03:09 PM »
I would have to say US poster are tops on my list but there are many others that I collect.
Daybills may be my favorite after the one sheet. Or it may be French,belguims or Japanese posters.
The only posters I shy away from are Spanish and German. Posters from Spain never seam right and the German poster I think it is just my dislike of the language as is comes across to harsh for some reason.