Author Topic: rolling posters backwards  (Read 8649 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
rolling posters backwards
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »
I received a few tubes and noted excellent packing, but one problem as I see it.  Rolled posters should be rolled with the curl, not against the curl.  It seemed the person packing the posters thought it more important that the poster face up, rather than having it face backwards, even though the curl was backwards.  The risk in packing it that way is that the poster gets crimps and creases.  The risk in unpacking it is just the same.  The poster tends to spring and potentially get crimped or creased as a result.

So, for anyone packing rolled posters, go with the curl, not against the curl....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: rolling posters backwards
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
I guess they may have thought they were helping out..? When rolled posters arrive here, I always reverse roll them for a week or so to flatten them out.

However, that choice should be up to the buyer. As you say Sending them that way would be a big No no for me as well.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:46:04 AM »
I guess they may have thought they were helping out..? When rolled posters arrive here, I always reverse roll them for a week or so to flatten them out.

However, that choice should be up to the buyer. As you say Sending them that way would be a big No no for me as well.

But is it necessary to do at all? I find that simply unrolling and keeping flat with a little weight for about a week does the trick. Now for posters that are tightly rolled I could perhaps understand wanting to reverse roll to 'undo' the tightness of the roll, but being tightly rolled in the first place makes creasing / crimping / damage all the more likely when reversing.

And aren't most rolled posters curled such that the artwork is 'inside'? That would be another reason I would not want a reverse roll. If a scuff is going to happen, I'd prefer it be on the back side, not the front side.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »
I'm not sure what posters you collect, but even after a few weeks, Quads still are slightly curled at the ends. They then go in my flat file for months/years, and still have a slight curl when taken out...

I do think it's because I don't roll them tight enough in the first place, but as you say it's easy to scuff or nip them a this stage. So I roll mine around a poster tube, which is why they only get rolled so far.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
David

guest4208

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
A large plastic storage container, a bucket or large bowl of very hot water. Place the paper and water bowl, cover with the storage container. Monitor over the next few hours

Not sure exactly what Dario means with this. Could you please elaborate on how this should be done.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 04:39:20 PM »
A large plastic storage container, a bucket or large bowl of very hot water. Place the paper and water bowl, cover with the storage container. Monitor over the next few hours

Not sure exactly what Dario means with this. Could you please elaborate on how this should be done.

I'm guessing for the DIYer this is not an option....

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »

My interpretation is something like: inside a tent place the poster and container of warm water next to it.
I assume the humidity will relax the poster somehow. I wonder if the poster is placed loose (unfolded ;) ) or held down on corners

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 06:09:47 PM »
Agreed, that was my interpretation as well:
 - lay poster flat
 - set bowl of hot water next to poster
 - cover both with plastic tub / container to create 'humidity chamber'
 - monitor closely
 - blot moisture from poster after removal (he mentions using blotters, which I assume is something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blotting_paper)
I would think the moisture would cause that 'water damage' wrinkle to the paper, no? Unless those blotters work really well, or maybe you're not giving the moisture time to 'soak' through the paper?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »

I'm guessing like when you've got a cold (man cold, the worst kind) and you hang your head over a pot of steaming water and cover your head and the pot with a towel or similar - create a 'steam room'

I would think the moisture would cause that 'water damage' wrinkle to the paper, no? Unless those blotters work really well, or maybe you're not giving the moisture time to 'soak' through the paper?

He does suggest to 'monitor' it. Well worth a try with a throw away poster or two.
David

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
I'm guessing like when you've got a cold (man cold, the worst kind) and you hang your head over a pot of steaming water and cover your head and the pot with a towel or similar - create a 'steam room'

He does suggest to 'monitor' it. Well worth a try with a throw away poster or two.

Agreed. How's that saying go? 'If you want to make an omelette you have to unroll some posters with steam.'

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 01:29:31 AM »
It's really annoying when the poster is rolled backwards.  I've had a few that were almost brand new that were rolled backwards.  Do they arrive from the printers like that sometimes?  It's almost impossible to unroll it the correct way without dinging up the upper and lower parts of the poster.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »
It's really annoying when the poster is rolled backwards.  I've had a few that were almost brand new that were rolled backwards.  Do they arrive from the printers like that sometimes?  It's almost impossible to unroll it the correct way without dinging up the upper and lower parts of the poster.

When you have to re-roll a poster, avoid damage by using a nice, clean poster tube to roll 'em up.
Works like a charm

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »
When you have to re-roll a poster, avoid damage by using a nice, clean poster tube to roll 'em up.
Works like a charm

Good idea.  thumbup

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 08:25:51 PM »
Great tip..I am always messing around with my rolled posters. thumbup

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »
Great tip..I am always messing around with my rolled posters. thumbup

Really? Shame on you...  qip