Author Topic: Major forgeries of modern art  (Read 17784 times)

Dobbo

Re: Major forgeries of modern art
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
This is my favourite piece at the moment.
Only 35 in the world, it took me years to get my hands on one.......

RON ENGLISH - MUSLIM MICKEY

I don't know what Disney Ltd's lawyers made of it. ;D

Charlie

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
Here is my hand painted reproduction Monet from Fightclub.  It lacks some colors and definition but its pretty close.  Love it!  Got to get some stretcher bars...  Can't wait to see the real thing again here soon...

FightClub12

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »
Charlie -- Yeah, I mean, I guess it's decent for the price...  coffee

Funny story re: the fake Pollock --- I actually know a woman, 'Sally' who propositioned 'Jane' to say that they got a 'real pollock' from Pollock's maid in Miami. They had time period canvas and stretcher bars, the whole deal, ready to go. They just wanted somebody reputable to come in and run it through an auction. (Two Hispanics doing it would have raised more suspicion.) Anyway, allegedly 'Sally' had an associate who had done it previously. I don't know if the $17million piece that's in question here, or not...

Plug plug -- If anybody else wants a hand-painted repro, send me a message, I've got different artists of different talent for different prices. (or poster trades)

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 01:32:45 AM »
This is my first experience of art forgery - a KAWS "Dissected Companion" that turned out to be fake! Yes, this kind of elaborate "art toy" gets forged, at least when it is the work of well-known artists and prices are at $1000 or more. Luckily I got my money back and found a real one!

Through the Stones

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 01:48:41 AM »
Made me fuckin' laugh, too.

Reminds me of something weird...

When I was a kid, I was walking home from school and there was a ton of shit sitting curbside at this house.  At an early age, I was big into old books and I spied three dark 'books' standing on end amongst the junk.  I decided I'd do a little garbage picking.  When I lifted them up, I realized they weren't real books.  They were metal, but designed to look like books, complete with names of 'authors' on the bindings. 
"What a discovery," I thought.
I grabbed 'em and lugged 'em home with me, where I proudly put them on my bookcase alongside my other novels. 
When my Dad came home from work (he was an embalmer), I rushed out to meet him and dragged him into my room to see my new treasures.
He said, "Ted, do you know what these are?" 
I said something to the effect that they were imitation books.
He said, "Did you open this cap on top?" 
He unscrewed it and I peered inside.
"It's filled with dirt," I said.  "Why would they do that?"
He said, "That's not dirt.  That's the ashes of a person who was cremated.  The names on the bindings are those of the deceased and the accompanying dates are their birth and death dates.""
I shrieked in horror and ran out of the room.
He laughed hard and it was a month or so before I could sleep in my room for fear that it was haunted.

True story.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but Thierry's joke sparked that flashback.

My question is who the flip decides to just 'throw away' dead people!  That would probably be just as weird a story...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 01:58:18 AM »
I missed this story, and it's a great one.
As a kid I would have been extra thrilled at finding these.
Wow.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Charlie

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 10:34:33 AM »
Charlie -- Yeah, I mean, I guess.

That came out wrong.  I hung it up and admired it, loved it but since we are going to DC I thought I would check and compare.  It will go over the fire place and I am proud to have it...

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 07:31:31 PM »
My question is who the flip decides to just 'throw away' dead people!  That would probably be just as weird a story...

This weekend I am trying to consolidate my junk in a large storage area. So sick of seeing all that stuff, never getting seen or used, in heaps of boxes, I am tempted to just toss out the whole lot out, including bodies if any are under there

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
I missed this story, and it's a great one.
As a kid I would have been extra thrilled at finding these.
Wow.

Indeed but I want to know the ending to the story.  What happened to the cremates?
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2013, 03:55:15 AM »
Indeed but I want to know the ending to the story.  What happened to the cremates?

Years later, my Dad (who had been a licensed embalmer) took a job with the State as a Funeral Investigating Agent.  He took those urns to his office and eventually found family members to receive them.  All went well.