Author Topic: Major forgeries of modern art  (Read 17783 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Major forgeries of modern art
« on: December 03, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »
Could be a huge scandal....

NYTimes: Possible Forging of Modern Art Is Investigated

Federal authorities are investigating whether a parade of paintings and drawings, sold for years by some of New York’s most elite art dealers as the work of Modernist masters like Robert Motherwell and Jackson Pollock, actually consists of expert forgeries, according to people who have been interviewed or briefed by the investigators.

Most of the works, which have sold individually for as much as $17 million, came to market though a little-known art dealer from Long Island, Glafira Rosales, who said she had what every gallery dreams of: exclusive access to a mystery collector’s cache of undiscovered work by some of the postwar world’s great talents, including Mark Rothko and Richard Diebenkorn.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 11:03:59 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Major forgeries of modern art
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »
Wow!  I'm so glad I don't collect modern art.  I knew of Knoedler closing, but now it all makes sense.

Thanks Mel.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
It's too bad it's a fake but I wouldn't have paid $5 for this even if it were real.  Some sucker paid $17 million for it:

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 01:52:36 PM »
It's too bad it's a fake but I wouldn't have paid $5 for this even if it were real.  Some sucker paid $17 million for it:

Poor sod..It`s not funny being ripped off...but 17 million..my god.
Probably has no chance of getting his money back,what makes it worse is that it was from such a famous Gallery.
Bad news all round.

Stew

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »
Don't feel sorry for someone who can spend this kind of cash.  Whenever I lose money on the stock market, I complain but I try to remember that a vast majority of people can't lose because they can't invest in the first place.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 02:03:04 PM »
Modern art is such a crock.  It's like Julianne Moore splattering paint in "The Big Lebowski" - no talent, no skill, just hype:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 02:06:16 PM »
This is more my style...

T
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:16:46 PM »
Don't feel sorry for someone who can spend this kind of cash.  Whenever I lose money on the stock market, I complain but I try to remember that a vast majority of people can't lose because they can't invest in the first place.

T
Thats true T,but i dont begrudge anyone having loads of money..
Fraud is fraud..the stock market hasn`t defrauded you,you take the gamble with the markets,thats fair and square.

Best

Stew

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »
T, this is getting weird.  I love Degas, I always hit the 14 year old dancer sculptures and the four dancers painting when I go to DC.  But I never ever miss Monet's Woman with a Parasol; I can stare at it for quite a bit and find myself coming back several times before I leave: it just melts me...  Its my favorite piece in the NGA:

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 07:02:04 PM »
T, this is getting weird.  I love Degas, I always hit the 14 year old dancer sculptures and the four dancers painting when I go to DC.  But I never ever miss Monet's Woman with a Parasol; I can stare at it for quite a bit and find myself coming back several times before I leave: it just melts me...  Its my favorite piece in the NGA:

I can now understand your love of the Midnight In Paris Mel..very personal and touching...

Stew

Charlie

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 07:10:55 PM »
I can now understand your love of the Midnight In Paris Mel..very personal and touching...

Stew

Huh?  New avatar already fooling you guys..

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 07:33:45 PM »
Huh?  New avatar already fooling you guys..
Crossed wires mate..thats all unless im losing things..
By the way what is your new avatar from??

Stew
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:34:08 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 07:49:58 PM »
T, this is getting weird.  I love Degas, I always hit the 14 year old dancer sculptures and the four dancers painting when I go to DC.  But I never ever miss Monet's Woman with a Parasol; I can stare at it for quite a bit and find myself coming back several times before I leave: it just melts me...  Its my favorite piece in the NGA:

It's a beautiful piece, Charlie, truly stunning... and one that has inspired film poster artists...

I have a thing for Degas, mainly because my Dad (and the gallery he ran) was (and still is) the world's foremost expert on the artist.  They did a huge catalogue raisonné on Degas 20 years ago.  

My favorite piece remains this one:

1) Because my Dad personally sold it to the Getty Museum in Malibu years ago, and 2) because I used to make up stories about it.  One of those stories was the story of a young ballerina who hurt her ankle and is forced to retire.  The old woman next to her is the young ballerina years later, dressed in black and remembering the life that could have been.  Then the empty bench is the same woman dead.  I once told my Dad about it.  His answer... "No.  Degas saw.  Degas painted."  So much for the power of imagination :)

T
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:51:43 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »
Just re-read...yeah its just me thats lost the topic..sorry guys..

Stew  :D

Charlie

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
Crossed wires mate..thats all unless im losing things..
By the way what is your new avatar from??

Stew

Its a Dior ad with Eva Green

Charlie

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 07:59:50 PM »
I have a thing for Degas, mainly because my Dad (and the gallery he ran) was (and still is) the world's foremost expert on the artist.  They did a huge catalogue raisonné on Degas 20 years ago.  

My favorite piece remains this one:

1) Because my Dad personally sold it to the Getty Museum in Malibu years ago, and 2) because I used to make up stories about it.  One of those stories was the story of a young ballerina who hurt her ankle and is forced to retire.  The old woman next to her is the young ballerina years later, dressed in black and remembering the life that could have been.  Then the empty bench is the same woman dead.  I once told my Dad about it.  His answer... "No.  Degas saw.  Degas painted."  So much for the power of imagination :)

T

So cool!  Love your Dad's take about Degas...  "Degas saw.  Degas painted."  Leaves nothing to ponder...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 08:03:39 PM »
Well, it was more "Degas a vu, Degas a paint," but you get the jest of it :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 08:13:52 PM »
So cool!  Love your Dad's take about Degas...  "Degas saw.  Degas painted."  Leaves nothing to ponder...
I would love to know what your father thought (if anything) about the scratch marks the matriarch seems to be carving out on the floor....

Stew

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »
I could ask him, Stew, but I don't know if he can hear me in his urn. 

Sorry, I have a morbid sense of humor, but it helps me deal with grief.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 08:29:49 PM »

Sorry, I have a morbid sense of humor, but it helps me deal with grief.

T
I get it T..

Picking the brain of an expert is always rewarding..It would be great to just "bullh88it" with you and your father on the subject..
No offense T

stew

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
No offense taken, Stew.  And me, I don't know shit about it.  My wife mocks my lack of knowledge constantly, especially considering the family legacy.  It's just not my thing.  I just know what I like and what makes me puke.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 12:14:57 AM »

That was really fucking funny!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 12:47:21 AM »
Charlie, I do believe I have already staked my claim on Eva Green
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »

Out of everyone, I knew that my partner in crime would get this joke.

clap
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 01:57:09 AM »

Made me fuckin' laugh, too.

Reminds me of something weird...

When I was a kid, I was walking home from school and there was a ton of shit sitting curbside at this house.  At an early age, I was big into old books and I spied three dark 'books' standing on end amongst the junk.  I decided I'd do a little garbage picking.  When I lifted them up, I realized they weren't real books.  They were metal, but designed to look like books, complete with names of 'authors' on the bindings. 
"What a discovery," I thought.
I grabbed 'em and lugged 'em home with me, where I proudly put them on my bookcase alongside my other novels. 
When my Dad came home from work (he was an embalmer), I rushed out to meet him and dragged him into my room to see my new treasures.
He said, "Ted, do you know what these are?" 
I said something to the effect that they were imitation books.
He said, "Did you open this cap on top?" 
He unscrewed it and I peered inside.
"It's filled with dirt," I said.  "Why would they do that?"
He said, "That's not dirt.  That's the ashes of a person who was cremated.  The names on the bindings are those of the deceased and the accompanying dates are their birth and death dates.""
I shrieked in horror and ran out of the room.
He laughed hard and it was a month or so before I could sleep in my room for fear that it was haunted.

True story.
Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but Thierry's joke sparked that flashback.