Author Topic: Fold lines in a rolled poster  (Read 9728 times)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Fold lines in a rolled poster
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
General message to all poster hypochondriac's, if the poster has never sold for more than $15 or $20 no one is going to take time to find passable paper to make reprints and pay to have them run. Digital age of print on the fly, the paper and printing will give it away, something like this, no way in hell someone is going to invest the time and money to make $100 off $1000 investment with a long time turnaround.

This hobby has a bad rep for restrike/reprint/ re-whatever due to the few bad seed titles that exist, in GENERAL, you should assume original and not assume fake to be proven original. Normally size and print quality is still going to give away 90% of anything that is not legit, most of the other titles that are not in the digital repro category have already been outed for what they are.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:17:11 AM by ddilts399 »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 12:21:01 AM »
Even if it's not a reprint/fake it's still an interesting occurrence and something I have never come across before on a daybill.
Chris

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 12:29:58 AM »
Chris, I agree, the point is, the jump to FAKE POSTER, FAKE POSTER happens way to fast anymore. It just is not financially feasible to produce a passable one off fake of anything that does not have a substantial return on the time and money spent to produce it. Is anyone in the market for 500 Running Man daybills?, I dont think so. Good luck finding a commercial printer to run a count under 500.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:30:36 AM by ddilts399 »

guest4208

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 03:46:08 AM »
I have seen a great many Australian posters where images from US one sheets or press sheets have been crudely reproduced and used on daybills. This is particularly common in some of the Blake Films exploitation/sexploitation z grade movies of the 70s. You can often see original foldlines and garments that were added to the image, again crudely. With low budget films, the distributers didnt bother trying to produce a work of art. They also never thought that posters might one day be collected so they didnt bother about retouching foldlines, etc.

The Red Baron daybill is a good example where you can see the foldlines from the US one sheet that the image was taken from.

I imagine this might be a similar case with the Running Man daybill where the image was reproduced with the folds still evident. I probably have a daybill somewhere but dont have the time to search for it to check.

If anyone wanted to reproduce a movie poster you would have thought that they would use photoshop or something similar to make it as close to the original as possible but as someone else posted, why on earth anyone would bother for a low value item is beyond me - last time I had one for sale it went for 4.99.

Regards
JR

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 07:52:38 AM »
Thanks for your input on the RUNNING MAN daybill, JR...and  welcome1 to APF.
As a longtime authority on Aussie paper, your opinion on this subject is most welcome.
Do you also have a personal collection?

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2011, 08:25:01 AM »
John, welcome to APF!! Stay around..
I have only one daybill in my collection, and I got it from you a few months back (via ebay). Perfect transaction  thumbup
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Charlie

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »
Even if it's not a reprint/fake it's still an interesting occurrence and something I have never come across before on a daybill.

I agree with Chris. I think we are past it being a repro.  Cleary there are multiple posters with the fold line in the image over many year and even sizes (OS and DB) It's just very interesting that this would occur....

Charlie

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 08:33:24 AM »
General message to all poster hypochondriac's, if the poster has never sold for more than $15 or $20 no one is going to take time to find passable paper to make reprints and pay to have them run. Digital age of print on the fly, the paper and printing will give it away, something like this, no way in hell someone is going to invest the time and money to make $100 off $1000 investment with a long time turnaround.

http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_poster/the_running_man_1987.htm

Charlie

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:15 AM »
Chris, I agree, the point is, the jump to FAKE POSTER, FAKE POSTER happens way to fast anymore. It just is not financially feasible to produce a passable one off fake of anything that does not have a substantial return on the time and money spent to produce it. Is anyone in the market for 500 Running Man daybills?, I dont think so. Good luck finding a commercial printer to run a count under 500.

Dale, I totally understand your point here but this was the first time I had ever seen somthing like this (fold lines in the image).  I was taken back a bit and that is why I started the thread.  I thought my process was actually pretty rational.  I could have come out and started yelling so and so sold me a fake that bastard!  But I even clearly stated that I wanted advice on it before claiming such. 

I still really don't think you can be too careful these days, regardless of the poster...  Just check out Mel's Gun For Hire.  I don't think he had to order 500 to get that mod poster...

Charlie

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »
time I had one for sale it went for 4.99.

Regards
JR

Maybe I should get a refund from Bruce and buy 4 from you...  ;)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:24 AM »
Charlie, that wasn't directed at you in particular, sorry if it came across that way. I get a mail almost every day with these words "are you absolutely sure this is not a reprint", so the paranoia level just seems to be way to high in general. Places like moviegoods, print to order and you can spot those suckers a mile away due to the paper they use and normally very fuzzy printing due to enlargement of the digital image source.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »
 welcome1 to APF, JR.

Upon first glance, looked like a repro to me, but after considering the experts' knowledge, it seems logical that it's legit. 

Not to sound like Debbie Downer, but it's probably just a matter of time until modern posters are reproduced to look almost exactly like originals.

guest4208

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 04:43:40 PM »
Thanks for your input on the RUNNING MAN daybill, JR...and  welcome1 to APF.
As a longtime authority on Aussie paper, your opinion on this subject is most welcome.
Do you also have a personal collection?

Thanks for the welcome. I have a large personal collection of Hitchcock posters and also some Film Noir. I think most dealers are also collectors. Thats the way I started out.

guest4208

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Maybe I should get a refund from Bruce and buy 4 from you...  ;)
Maybe I should have sent the one I had to Bruce to sell!!!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 08:51:20 PM »
Ari says (via NS4):

there are a number of daybills where a folded US poster weas used for the art, and as such have fold lijnes in the print. I dont recall having this poster (not an Arnie fan) but I have no doubt this is the case. Hills have Eyes (original) is another example

So Charlie, even though it seems very odd to most of us, you are ok.
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2011, 03:01:17 AM »
Charlie, that wasn't directed at you in particular, sorry if it came across that way. I get a mail almost every day with these words "are you absolutely sure this is not a reprint", so the paranoia level just seems to be way to high in general. Places like moviegoods, print to order and you can spot those suckers a mile away due to the paper they use and normally very fuzzy printing due to enlargement of the digital image source.

cheers