Author Topic: How many posters do you buy?  (Read 22767 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Re: How many posters do you buy?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »
laugh1

Funny stuff, dude.  I guarantee you if someone handed you all the posters you listed tonight, you'd have a brand new list tomorrow.

T

No doubt in my mind either.

Charlie

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »
Madness started March 20, 2009, which is 969 days.  Currently have 1060 posters and prints, which is 1.1 a day. (I've also given away, sold, or trashed 200-250 but who's counting?)

The pace has slowed down over time but the average price has gone up.

Fortunately, my "top priority want list" - excluding the super-expensive/super-rare stuff I'd like to get but probably won't/can't get - has been steadily shrinking so there is a light at the end of the tunnel:

Back off the Black Swan bitch! ;)  Why didn't you snag razin's @ $380?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
Funny stuff, dude.  I guarantee you if someone handed you all the posters you listed tonight, you'd have a brand new list tomorrow. T

No doubt in my mind either.

[WHOOSH] Gentlemen, I find your lack of faith disturbing.... [WHOOSH, WHOOSH]

Back off the Black Swan bitch! ;)  Why didn't you snag razin's @ $380?

Only a crackhead would pay $380 for one of those.  In a couple of years they'll be going for reasonable prices....
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 11:46:21 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
Only a crackhead would pay $380 for one of those.  In a couple of years they'll be going for reasonable prices....

Can I borrow $20 Mel.  ;D  I was trying to swing a deal for both including the blue one but some guy from a hospital bed beat me to it.  Then I could have rested easy.  Still got to worry about getting these one day.  And I think Holiday snagged the two Japanes DVD/Blu-Ray posters.

With these two, my collection would technically be complete.  Minus two Germans, a Foglio, 4F (picked up the 2F, and Locandina a while back), and a Spanish OS all with the Crack Face design.  Else I have everything else; even the Blu-Ray poster.

Started working on the lobbies now.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 05:37:16 AM »
Maybe 2 or 3 posters a year for the past few years, but I was getting a boat-load of new material for free.  Much lower than my 50+ per year when I was in my prime acquisition phase.

For me to buy something now, I have to love the film, love the poster and get it for a good price because I am a cheap bastard.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »
Can I borrow $20 Mel.  ;D  I was trying to swing a deal for both including the blue one but some guy from a hospital bed beat me to it. 

You can loan me $20, pal.  I'm constantly broke thanks to this hobby. 

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 08:51:05 AM »
I didn't think gubment wages where THAT bad.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »
I have a limit of £100 per month. Most of the posters I'm after don't cost that much which is good, finding them is the hard bit for me. having said that I always seem to go over budget?!?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 11:00:30 AM »
I didn't think gubment wages where THAT bad.

Gov wages are pretty good but not good enough to service a $60 daily poster crack buying habit!

Basically I get a fat paycheck every two weeks which quickly dwindles to nada and it's rice and beans for a few days :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
Basically I get a fat paycheck every two weeks which quickly dwindles to nada and it's rice and beans for a few days :)

Rice and beans? You're livin' high on the hog.

From P.14 of The Brude Diet for Poster Whores...

Charlie

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »
Gov wages are pretty good but not good enough to service a $60 daily poster crack buying habit!

You need to get married Mel.  A doctor or lawyer.  You see there are the leftovers after you pay the bills and pad the savings.  Then you can split the leftovers (My wife and I split it 66/33; I get the 66.  ;D; but she gets the savings - I have no clue how much we have) So Mel, think, you already pay for the bills so you could add half her income to your poster buying power.  Think about it.  Also think about marrying rich and having no children because kids are like a $1,000 to $1,500 drain each month.  You could be competing with T and holiday after that bump in income...

Or get T to hook you up with another animator on the rise...  How bought it T?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 06:50:26 PM »
You need to get married Mel.  A doctor or lawyer.  You see there are the leftovers after you pay the bills and pad the savings. 

A double income would be great but most women don't understand the THE INSATIABLE DRIVE to accumulate a mountain of pretty paper:

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 06:52:54 PM »
but most women don't understand the THE INSATIABLE DRIVE to accumulate a mountain of pretty paper

Then you`ll have to make a choice young padawan... what will it be, the girls or the paper...? pcorn
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2011, 07:37:51 PM »
A double income would be great but most women don't understand the THE INSATIABLE DRIVE to accumulate a mountain of pretty paper:

Most women have more sense lol!

Then you`ll have to make a choice young padawan... what will it be, the girls or the paper...? pcorn

bed1 of course!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:39:18 PM by bondposters.com »
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2011, 08:25:40 PM »
You need to get married Mel.  A doctor or lawyer.  You see there are the leftovers after you pay the bills and pad the savings.  Then you can split the leftovers (My wife and I split it 66/33; I get the 66.  ;D; but she gets the savings - I have no clue how much we have) So Mel, think, you already pay for the bills so you could add half her income to your poster buying power.  Think about it.  Also think about marrying rich and having no children because kids are like a $1,000 to $1,500 drain each month.  You could be competing with T and holiday after that bump in income...

Or get T to hook you up with another animator on the rise...  How bought it T?

It doesn't always work this way, Charlie.  Some wives don't want to spend a penny of their income on posters.  I wish they did, those selfish bitches.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Charlie

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
It doesn't always work this way, Charlie.  Some wives don't want to spend a penny of their income on posters.  I wish they did, those selfish bitches.

T

The key is to say you can do what ever you want with your share.  I won't complain about what you buy and you can't complain about what I buy.  She still complains, but what can she do a deal is a deal.  You want to buy frilly purple blouses or fancy $$$ shoes have at it, just don't say anything about my posters or golf habit...

Charlie

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »
So my wife is giving me the large second bedroom in the new house for my poster lair and office.  I am going to design and build a custom poster work bench and rack system on the 14' wall. She also got excited when I told her I was going to make a mural on the 15' wall with some of my not so good condition posters. I can't wait!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:57:00 PM by Charlie »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
The key is to say you can do what ever you want with your share.  I won't complain about what you buy and you can't complain about what I buy.  She still complains, but what can she do a deal is a deal.  You want to buy frilly purple blouses or fancy $$$ shoes have at it, just don't say anything about my posters or golf habit...

I think you are correct in seeing it that way.

When you logically think about it. Any dollar "wasted" on posters is afterwards worth more than any dollar spent on shoes but since when did "they" start embracing logic?

Charlie

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »
I think you are correct in seeing it that way.

When you logically think about it. Any dollar "wasted" on posters is afterwards worth more than any dollar spent on shoes but since when did "they" start embracing logic?

I married an engineer, and I'm an engineer so she is quite logical at times.  The only time it gets bad is when we disagree on each others logic...   :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:00:16 PM by Charlie »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2011, 09:01:34 PM »
So my wife is giving me the large second bedroom in the new house for my poster lair and office.  I am going to design and build a custom poster work bench and rack system on the 14' wall. She also got excited when I told her I was going to make a mural on the 15' wall with some of my not so good condition posters. I can't wait!

You are a lucky boy. Enjoy. I look forward to the pics.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2011, 09:23:34 PM »
It doesn't always work this way, Charlie.  Some wives don't want to spend a penny of their income on posters.  I wish they did, those selfish bitches.

T

So I am not the only one in the her money is her's and my money is her's when convenient crowd  ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:23:55 PM by ddilts399 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »
How many posters do I buy?

More than I should and less than I want to

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2021, 12:33:27 AM »
Reviving this old thread because there are so many new members on APF since 2011 when this thread started.  I'm guessing I buy a handful of posters a month at the most these days.  I have to really, really like the art/image and I'm leaning ever more toward 1930s and stone lithography, with a few exceptions here and there (e.g. "The Great Thai Poster Summer Bonanza of 2013", and "I've Never Seen That One Before Grabititis"). What about you all?  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2021, 02:08:13 AM »
I guess I should answer since I started this thread which I completely forgot about (thanks Okie).  It used to be 3 posters a day on average (about 1,000/year), but the pandemic has slowed me down a lot, to like 700/year, so about 2 a day.  There is just not much out there these days.  Also, I'm really into condition, more so now than ever, and will pass on a lot of sellers I used to buy from in the past.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2021, 07:21:15 PM »
I'm like Okie: I only buy a handful of posters a month since I only collect older paper (I don't have any interest in movie posters that came out after the mid-to-late 1980s), with an emphasis on the 1930s through the 1960s.  Add to that the fact that I really only collect from a couple of genres (horror and sci-fi mostly, with the occasional film noir thrown in), which further limits the scope of my monthly purchases.  As a result, there is not a ton of stuff available out there for me to be buying more posters than I am, which is fine by me since I'm more interested in quality than quantity.