Author Topic: Movie Poster Resource Site  (Read 26724 times)

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
Movie Poster Resource Site
« on: November 05, 2011, 07:13:10 PM »
Came across this website on the web. Figure it may be of some use for some of the newer collectors. Guess we know where Mel got his idea from all the way down to the name of his site  :P

http://www.moviepostercollector.co.uk/

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Movie Poster Resource Site
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:59:04 PM »
Came across this website on the web. Figure it may be of some use for some of the newer collectors. Guess we know where Mel got his idea from all the way down to the name of his site  :P

http://www.moviepostercollector.co.uk/

No, CJ, I had no idea that site existed. I thought of that name entirely on my own. Before registering moviepostercollectors.com, I checked register.com and was surprised the name was still available. Movieposter.co.uk is a UK website that hasn't been updated in three years, by the way.

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »
Its ok Mel. It's all good, I mean you added an "S" and a ".com" and dropped "co.uk"

I see that it has not been updated in 3 years but I know that is important to know since the core information of collecting change every year. Nothing on that site is pertinent since it's 3 years old.

Yours Truly,
1st Class DH  :-*

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 08:48:54 PM »
Its ok Mel. It's all good, I mean you added an "S" and a ".com" and dropped "co.uk"

I see that it has not been updated in 3 years but I know that is important to know since the core information of collecting change every year. Nothing on that site is pertinent since it's 3 years old.

Yours Truly,
1st Class DH  :-*

CJ, I've filed a complaint against you with the forum owners.  Your allegations are absolutely outrageous and false.  Let me make this very clear. When I registered and created moviepostercollectors.com I did not know that site existed.  It did not show up on register.com because it is a UK website.  I did not copy it.  I did not copy any of its concepts.  Some of its sections are similar to mine but that is 100% coincidental because OF COURSE a general interest website would cover those subjects.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 09:04:10 PM »
Mel, just ignore it.

There is no issue here whatsoever. Unless you copied text, which I doubt you did, there is no problem of course.

Picking a domain name how you did is exactly how I would have gone about it, which is perfectly usual. Putting an s on moviepostercollector and dropping .co.uk... please... must be a slow day in the office to be writing here such drivel.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »
Had I known moviepostercollectors.co.uk existed, I OBVIOUSLY would not have picked moviepostercollectors.com.  I was looking for a name that had not been used before.

If I wanted to rip off that site, how stupid would I have to be to pick a nearly identical name?

Again, I never knew about or copied any text or concepts from that website.  Much later, I did learn of its existence when I did a Google search.  It's actually a pretty good site but any similarities between the two are 100% coincidental.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 09:12:55 PM »
Mel, isn't it Saturday night there,... shouldn't you be out with the 6 foot tall red head, rather than banging on the keyboard?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
Mel, isn't it Saturday night there,... shouldn't you be out with banging the 6 foot tall red head, rather than banging on the keyboard?

IFIFY.
 wynk

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
Mel, just ignore it.

There is no issue here whatsoever. Unless you copied text, which I doubt you did, there is no problem of course.

Picking a domain name how you did is exactly how I would have gone about it, which is perfectly usual. Putting an s on moviepostercollector and dropping .co.uk... please... must be a slow day in the office to be writing here such drivel.

Honestly, I am not sure why Mel got so defensive about it. All I said was "got the idea from" my reply was after I received a "nice" PM with a few choice words which is why I chose to reply the way I did. Then I got the complaint PM. I really don't give a shit. Just busting his balls but apparently he took it personal.

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 09:21:38 PM »
lolololol  ya i would not be so touchie about the subject bro ,,,you have put your point across (and a good one it is) and im sure he has got it let him believe what he wants to.  you can just relax have a beer or even 2 and forget there are people who dont think before they speek
i say he could have posed it in a question and make it less confrontive !!!
but thats just me :-P

though i would like to call you a theiving batsage then take it back :-P
lololololol

dont worry be happy just forget the bullshit and and rember the fun times

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:28:01 PM »
Honestly, I am not sure why Mel got so defensive about it. All I said was "got the idea from" my reply was after I received a "nice" PM with a few choice words which is why I chose to reply the way I did. Then I got the complaint PM. I really don't give a shit. Just busting his balls but apparently he took it personal.

Mel, Why are you so upset about it? Of all things that have been said in the past, why did this one get you so fired up? I never said you "ripped" off anyone, I mean lets be honest, a lot of sites are similar on the net.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »
Are you guys having fun yet?

3 things...

@ Mel...  I may be wrong, but it seems to me that CJ was fucking with you, Mel.  He probably got annoyed with you and the mid-auction analysis thread (as stated) and tried to get under your skin, which he did well.

@ CJ...  Honestly, I do believe Mel when he says that he was not inspired by the UK site.  I don't see much resemblance between the two.  And to be honest with you, Moviepostercollector is not a very hard name to come up with.  That's what we all are :)  Plus, Mel's site is a great tool for the community as is his commitment to the hobby.

As far as CJ not being able to say what he feels because he's a moderator, I don't see it.  We're not asking our moderators to be nice, we just want the rest of you to be nice :)  Oh, and BTW, Mel, you could have been a moderator and rejected the offer.  Think about all the shit you'd be getting for some of the posts you made.

My 2 c.

T
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:04:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »
Haven't you guys figured out yet that sarcasm is lost on some people on this particular forum?
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »
Is that sarcasm, Chris?

thumbup
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 10:23:24 PM »
 :P What does this smiley mean? Is that not someone sticking their tongue out in sarcasm. Now had I put one of this behind it  eyeroll then i could see that it may be taken as a little more harsh. Plain and simple I was busting his balls.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
Is that sarcasm, Chris?

thumbup

As per CJ  :P
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 10:47:53 PM »
I thought CJ was being sarcastic.

But then, Mel got a bad case of ...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »
Yikes!  That's formidable...
Chris

SHOCKWAVE

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »
I thought CJ was being sarcastic.

But then, Mel got a bad case of ...

lolololololololololololololololololololololo lol

omg im on the frigging floor rolling around

Charlie

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 11:42:07 PM »
I am about to have a seizure with all the blinking shit on this page...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »
Came across this website on the web. Figure it may be of some use for some of the newer collectors. Guess we know where Mel got his idea from all the way down to the name of his site  :P

CJ, you saw the superficial similarities between the sites and made an outrageously false accusation. I don't know if you've ever announced your profession publicly, but your "investigation" makes Inspector Closeau look like a genius.

I never heard of moviepostercollector.co.uk until long after I finished my website and nobody else has either. On both APF and on NS4 I started threads asking for ideas for the website. These threads have thousands of views.  No one ever mentioned that there was another site with a similar name or referred me to it.  I came up with all the concepts on moviepostercollectors.com on my own or based on suggestions given on these forums, like these:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:36:32 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »
CJ, you saw the superficial similarities between the sites and made an outrageously false accusation. I don't know if you've ever announced your profession publicly, but your "investigation" makes Inspector Closeau look like a genius.

I never heard of moviepostercollector.co.uk until long after I finished my website and nobody else has either. On both APF and on NS4 I started threads asking for ideas for the website. These threads have thousands of views.  No one ever mentioned that there was another site with a similar name or referred me to it.  I came up with all the concepts on moviepostercollectors.com on my own or based on suggestions given on these forums, like these:

Mel, Why are you still  :'( crying  :'( about it? Do you have that address yet... I have that box of tissues packed up and ready to be shipped.  

***remaining contents removed with approval from admin***
Cj
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:22:34 AM by Cj »

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
Oh by the way Mel, I don't visit that other forum. I would not know what other bullshit you have posted over there.

All this crying over Guess we know where Mel got his idea from all the way down to the name of his site   Why so defensive, you said it was not true, i said I was busting your balls. Why not let it go? Why are you trying so hard to prove a point that no one really gives a rats ass about.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:19:30 PM by Cj »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 03:14:03 PM »
Mel, Why are you still  :'( crying  :'( about it? Do you have that address yet... I have that box of tissues packed up and ready to be shipped.  

***remaining contents removed with the approval of admin***
Cj

Outstanding rundown, sir!
I have the utmost respect for those who risk their lives -- every day -- to protect the rest of us.
God bless you for your service.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 11:23:12 AM by Cj »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011, 03:43:56 PM »
Oh by the way Mel, I don't visit that other forum.

You should... there`s a FIGHT CLUB! in there  ;D
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo