Author Topic: OT: Lugosi's Dracula Cape Up for Auction  (Read 3838 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
OT: Lugosi's Dracula Cape Up for Auction
« on: October 27, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »
Just in time for Halloween (2012 anyways)!  Oh and I wonder which one he was buried in then?  Some grave robbing (ala the Body Snatcher) going on? ;)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bela-lugosis-dracula-cape-auction-220814214.html

(Reuters) - It may be the perfect addition to a Halloween costume, but "Dracula" fans will have to wait until next year to wear it.
The iconic cape worn by Bela Lugosi in "Dracula," one of Hollywood's earliest horror films based on the world's most famous mythical vampire, will go under the hammer in December and could fetch between $1.5 million and $2 million, auctioneer Profiles in History said on Thursday.

The "Icons of Hollywood" sale will feature many items from various Hollywood films, but the black cape worn by Lugosi in the classic 1931 horror flick is expected to be one of the biggest selling items.

Lugosi, who was among the top horror film actors in the early days of Hollywood in movies such as "Son of Frankenstein" and "Murders in the Rue Morgue," was buried in his "Dracula" costume after his death in 1956, except for the original cape, which he wanted his son to have, the auctioneer said.

The actor's family is selling the cape along with vintage memorabilia from Lugosi's films.

Other key items featured in the sale include a pair of ruby slippers from "The Wizard of Oz," estimated between $2 million and $3 million, and the time-traveling DeLorean vehicle from "Back to the Future III" estimated between $400,000 and $600,000.

The "Icons of Hollywood" auction will be held at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills from December 15 to December 17.
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: OT: Lugosi's Dracula Cape Up for Auction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:01:07 AM »
If I remember correctly -- and Paul Waines could possibly confirm this -- FJ Ackerman spoke of this once before and said something to the effect that there were multiple capes Bela wore during his career as Dracula and other vampires -- stage and screen DRACULA (1931), A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948), RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE (1944), MARK OF THE VAMPIRE (1935) and VAMPIRE OVER LONDON (1952).  No telling how many capes ol' Bela had in the closet...and no telling which one he was buried in -- especially if what is below is correct..

From Wikipedia: "Lugosi was buried wearing one of the Dracula Cape costumes, per the request of his son and fourth wife, in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California. Contrary to popular belief, Lugosi never requested to be buried in his cloak; Bela G. Lugosi confirmed on numerous occasions that he and his mother, Lillian, actually made the decision but believed that it is what his father would have wanted."

Only one way to be certain which cape he was buried in, eh?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:05:37 AM by brude »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:43:05 AM »
Ted, I don't think anyone knows the complete truth anymore and the person who would be best to ask, or was, was Forry, who owned one of the capes.

some stories say he was buried without cape, others say with cape. Who knows what true anymore?
at least this one is coming from his son and they should be able to show which cape it is. I don't believe more costumes were made after 1931 however, and that one reason Lugosi was at times hired was because he actually had the costume, so the Monagram & PRC films are in the actual Dracula costume

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
What a piece of Hollywood history to own, eh?
Here's a cape that was auctioned off a few years ago from FJA's estate, plus Bela's ring and, the robe he wore in THE RAVEN.
http://www.filmfetish.com/2009/02/27/see-bela-lugosi-items-at-forrest-j-ackerman-tribute/

DreamWarrior

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »
 wow1 Gimmee gimmee gimmee.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:57:59 PM »
How did I miss this.... Ted, Bela was Buried in one of his "stage" Dracula Capes, of which he had two.

As far as I know the Cape Bela Jnr has is the other one of his Stage capes... I would have to see a pic of the cape, as there were different colour linings, etc. The A&C meet Frankenstein cape is quite shiny, so a dead give away.  The original Dracula Cape has a grey lining, and higher collar, so should be easy to spot. The one Forry had which he said was Belas Dracula cape, was I believe from his scenes that later turned up in "Plan 9". Not an Opera cape, more like a two piece thing.   

It will certainly be interesting to see a pic of said Cape, and see what provenance is with it. I know it's Bela Jnr selling it, but which cape is it.... I'm going for one of the Stage capes as originally thought.... 
It's more than a Hobby...