Author Topic: Funny eBay scam this week  (Read 4311 times)

Offline riley540

• Beginner
Funny eBay scam this week
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:26:47 AM »
If it weren’t for the eBay money back guarantee, I wouldn’t be laughing. I’ve already been in contact with them and I am being refunded.

Here’s the story.

I ordered a 27x41 inch Seven Year Itch linen backed one sheet off of eBay. The photos were not the best on my iPhone, but the price was good and I pulled the trigger.

A few days passed and I realized I never got a tracking number so I opened the purchase on my desk top. I have a big monitor for video editing so I could see the photos better.

I started seeing some issues regarding the authenticity based on the pictures.

I kindly emailed the seller and let him know that it was a reproduction and I would send it back as soon as it arrived.

He got mad. He told me it was real and that I was stupid. Etc. so I just didn’t respond back.

The poster arrived today......

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Funny eBay scam this week
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »
Thank God for the guarantee. Wish I could say that they were the only ones. There are a lot of scams lately on eBay. IMO they are only slightly better than Craigslist at the moment.

Another one to look out for are hard to find/desirable pieces, not just posters, where the user is registered for 6 months to a year with a few feedback comments but their user ID always ends in a dash number. Many look like auto-generated numbers to begin with, example: r57390281-2 or somename-6. The items images are older images from other users usually a year or more old so they are no longer in the system or I have seen quite a few that were taken from Yahoo Japan. In most cases and the price is low but not too good to be true low.

These are usually scams from what I believe is China where they either do not actually have the item for sale or are selling bootlegs of some sort. More often than not they mark them as shipped with no additional information and the items never arrive. Ebay sometimes catches them before you contact them about it but even if not they have always canceled and refunded immediately without waiting for responses from the seller to the dispute as they know the deal is bogus.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 10:24:25 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 10:29:10 AM »
It’s a shame that people try to take advantage of collectors.

I might steer clear of buying on eBay unless I know the seller from now on. I basically just tied up a portion of my money for 2 weeks with nothing to show for it. That’s the only slightly frustrating part of the whole ordeal.

I just think it’s funny that the poster is only a foot tall. Not even a good attempt on the scammers part. Ha!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »
Aside from the impact of temporary loss of funds and the hassle of the whole thing, that is utterly hilarious.

Happy all sorted.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 09:11:47 AM »
kind of obvious from looking at the carpet underneath it that it's the wrong size.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Seven-Year-Itch-Marilyn-Monroe-Original-Movie-Poster-/192880692051?

my question is - was it really linenbacked?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 02:44:38 AM »
Reading the chaps feedback, one comment says.... a little bit smaller than the picture shows but a nice item (positive feedback) hope they didn't get scammed.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/