Author Topic: Cutting Plexi Glass?  (Read 17712 times)

guest8

Re: Cutting Plexi Glass?
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 06:36:10 PM »
About an hour away from the nearest border.
But is it then worth the 80 bucks in gas, and aggravations from the morons on the road?

$80 in gas ?? OMG!? What do you drive ??! A monster truck??

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
Sorry, two hours each way.

guest8

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 07:02:07 PM »
Just the time spent traveling wouldnt be worth it in my eyes .. You should just move to the US :P

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 07:12:20 PM »
HELL NO!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »
See, I was also thinking about
Vivak, if its UV free. along with acid free backing board?

any other suggestions?

guest8

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 09:52:34 AM »
Nothing blocks 100% of UV light (that I know of).. Everything I saw for Vivak calls it UV resistant .. I cant find anything that gives a % though.. and Im not 100% sure but I think Vivak only come in a clear finish as opposed to non-glare as well ..

LOL .. You keep trying and we keep telling you the same things .. but dont let me dissuade you from looking for way to piece together the best cheapest frames .. I WILL end up building my own frames some day .. I just have to find the time .. BUT .. You have to realize with the time, material and equipment involved youre not really going to save much if any money in the long run .. I mean unless you get some super wholesale discounts but to do that youd probably need to buy enough material for 100 frames .. Which is a big investment up front.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »
Well so far, I have the access to frames, and acid free backing.
The hardest part is finding the UV plexi for a fair price and learning to cut it. I still have to call around some more.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
I would highly recommend Acrylite OP3.  It's in most of my frames, blocks 98% of UV light, and is reasonably priced.  For my 30x40 frames, with acid free backing, and Acrylite OP3 plexi (most call it acrylic), they are about $100, and that's with wood frames that are specially ordered, cut/assembled, and the backing and acrylic cut to size.  I get them from Florida Frames, Inc.  From the few framers whom I've gotten stuff from, they are the best, in terms of workmanship, quality of materials, and price, and it would be even less expensive if the frames weren't specially ordered.  I'm not sure about how much it would be to ship them, but you may want to call them to see if they can at least steer you in the right direction.  

I use a Logan F500 point driver with Logan F55 flexible points to secure the backing, which is nice because I can adjust the pressure to the backing.  I always put the points in the frame when the poster is not in the frame, then bend them to remove the backing, and put the poster in, put the backing in, and bend the points to hold the backing in place and at the right pressure.  I usually bend the top points slightly tight, then the sides and lower edge just enough for a good fit (it's easy to see if there is too much pressure on the backing or not enough).  Only takes a couple minutes.  Use Novus #1 for cleaner/anti static (I just use it once on both sides of the acrylic before putting a poster in the frame), and then when posters are in frames, just wipe the outer acrylic with a microfiber towel and they are clean, (and when changing posters wipe the inside).  With the anti static/protective properties of it, it's like a coat of wax for acrylic.

That about covers the topic of framing my humble collection, just figured I'd explain that in case anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:46:15 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 04:33:49 PM »
Well guys, I bit the bullet on the shipping and paid the costs. I went with HPF. Can't wait to get them
I only ordered 2 for now, since shipping was as much as the posters. but to see how they are for now

guest8

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »
I hope you are happy with them ! Like Ive said the ONLY complaint I have about HPF is their lack of different style frames. The quality vs Cost is the best that Ive found