Author Topic: Cutting Plexi Glass?  (Read 17710 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Cutting Plexi Glass?
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
Anybody here ever cut plexiglass? How hard it is. any advice. I am thinking about buying a sheet, but don't want to mess it up. 1/8" thick. Any advice on longer cuts.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Cutting Plexi Glass?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
Pay the supplier to make the cuts.  There are procedures, and I follow them, but I haven't gotten a totally clean break yet.  That leads to lots of filing and chewing of excess.

I am not convinced you can make a really clean break without using a brake tool.  A break is basically a non-flexible bar above the plastic and a folding surface below it.  After you score the plastic, you lift the folding part and it breaks apart at the score line.

You do the same with glass, using a glass cutter and it generally works.  You use a scoring blade on plexi.  You run several passes to get a deep enough scoring, but then the plastic bends enough that you have difficulty getting the stress concentrated at the score line and it breaks outside of it for a portion of the length.
-Jay-

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 02:43:04 PM »
okay, that's what I wanted to double check on. So it isn't worth the stress for me to cut it.
Thanks.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
when you buy it, have them cut it
they'll usually do so for no charge and you'll have a precise, proper cut.

there is also scrap left over. if you know that you might need something in a smaller size, you may be able to get extra smaller pieces also cut, saving you money later

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

tstatum

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:27:28 PM »
If you have a Table saw it's not that bad.  Put a plywood blade in backwards then tape off your cut area and feed slowly.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »
See I am debating now. Is this worth it to save an average of $15-30 per frame.

Route 1) Measurements all done by 1 company.

or Route 2) to save $15 per frame.
Get plexi cut from one company
get frames cut from one company
Get backing board from one company.
And then have to make sure everything lines up

I think it might be worth just to get HPF frames instead of sourcing my own right?

Charlie

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 05:48:19 PM »
If you have a Table saw it's not that bad.  Put a plywood blade in backwards then tape off your cut area and feed slowly.

Why backwards?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 05:49:49 PM »
I think it might be worth just to get HPF frames instead of sourcing my own right?

well.... of course!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »
think of it like this Mike
you're trying to save some money
but yur time has value
after all the work and possible mistakes that could cost added fees, are you really saving anything?

-------

tstatum

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
Why backwards?

I don't know the physics but it works, and decreases the chances of breaking.  This is how my glazing subs suggested I do it and it has worked so far.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »
I don't know the physics but it works, and decreases the chances of breaking.  This is how my glazing subs suggested I do it and it has worked so far.

My Guess?  Forward, the blades are concave to the material.  Backward they are convex.  That means that when it is forward, it wil draw the material in toward the blade and backwards it will push it slightly away.  Drawing it in will get too much material and increase chances of cracking.

I have heard the backwards trick before.  But I looked at a few plywood blades and there doesn't seem to be much difference between the directions.
-Jay-

Charlie

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »
My Guess?  Forward, the blades are concave to the material.  Backward they are convex.  That means that when it is forward, it wil draw the material in toward the blade and backwards it will push it slightly away.  Drawing it in will get too much material and increase chances of cracking.

I have heard the backwards trick before.  But I looked at a few plywood blades and there doesn't seem to be much difference between the directions.

Maybe its just the blade I have; its meant to go one way to feed the shaving out of the way.  By putting it on backwards you would basically just be burning through the material from friction..  I'll have to get a ripping blade out and try it...  Not going to mess up my finish cut blade...

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »
Is this plexi glass safe to use for framing Acrylite FF?
92.0% Transmission
transparent
UV absorbent
high-gloss surface

What does that UV absorbant mean?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:39:39 AM by bigmike »

guest8

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 10:04:37 AM »
There is no 100% protection against UV .. So Im guessing thats their way of saying "bullet-resistant" ;) its not guaranteed to keep them out (ie bullet-proof) but it does a better job than plain glass. 

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 10:06:57 AM »
So is it good to use.

I took that "UV absorbant" as either a bad or good thing? Which is it?
Is it safe for framing?
Thanks, Mike

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
So is it good to use.

I took that "UV absorbant" as either a bad or good thing? Which is it?
Is it safe for framing?
Thanks, Mike

In my opinion, it is neither good or bad as it is somewhat meaningless.  It simply says that some unknown percentage of the UV rays will be absorbed by the acrylic rather than being passed through to the paper.  That is good on the surface, but even 1% absorbtion would meet the advertising requirement, while providing no real protection.  Also, that absorbed energy will be converted to heat, which in itself is bad for the paper.

Displaying posters is not the best way of preserving posters.  This is a tradeoff we all need to make.  If you want to conserve then, then you need to store them flat in a dark place at 50-70 degrees F and at 40-50% relative humidity.  But if you do that, what is the point of collecting?  The posters were meant to be enjoyed, so the answer fpor most of us is to choose to display using reasonable glazing and backing and in a location that is not in direct sunlight.

Mike, I think you are starting to suffer from analysis paralysis.  You are so concerned about doing this perfectly that you may never get around to doing anything.  If you have been listening to us, you will see a common theme that the consensus is to just buy the Hollywood Poster Frame product and eat the shipping.  You will get a better result at comparable cost and with much less hassle.
-Jay-

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 10:27:15 AM »
I know i know. But it will average out to $120+ per ECONOMY frame.
So I was so curious as if there was a cheaper option.

guest8

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
the only option that may be cheaper but can offer the same if not better archival qualities is if you do everything yourself .. But to do that you have the upfront cost of buying everything in bulk and the equipment to do it right .. and spread out over the next 20 frames and NOT counting your time/labor you will possibly be saving money. Unless you start selling frames then who knows in the long run you could end up making money instead of just saving money ;)

guest8

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 02:54:01 PM »
The only thing i dont like about HPF is their frame selection .. Id love some more detailed wood options :D

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »
I know i know. But it will average out to $120+ per ECONOMY frame.
So I was so curious as if there was a cheaper option.

I suppose if you live near the US border, you could set up a drop at a UPS store on the US side and carry them across yourself.

Vancouver BC / Bellingham
Toronto/Buffalo
etc
-Jay-

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 11:23:04 AM »
How about this plexi? or 66% not good enough?

guest8

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »
Its better than nothing .. But the fact that it plainly states "not conservation grade" would be a dead giveaway that I would need to find something better ;)

If youre going to drop all that money on conservation .. You better get the good stuff otherwise you might as well just get frames from Michaels ..

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »
aaar moron1
Aaaaalright, I'll just get the frames from HPF
Shipping and custom fees suck!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:06:36 PM by bigmike »

guest8

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
Jayn_j had a good idea .. How close are you to the US boarder ? Even if its 20-30 mins .. it may be cheaper than paying the extra on shipping.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »
About an hour away from the nearest border.
But is it then worth the 80 bucks in gas, and aggravations from the morons on the road?