Author Topic: UK Customs  (Read 29331 times)

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
UK Customs
« on: October 12, 2011, 05:04:41 PM »
Anyone in the UK know how long a package normally sits in customs for? This is the first time this has happened to me, but I've had a package 'waiting for customs inspection' since the 10th of October. So much for express delivery.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: UK Customs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 05:12:58 PM »
That's only 2 days!  I have had items stuck in Canadian customs for literally WEEKS!

Don't fret too much yet...
Chris

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 04:59:11 AM »
I'm just a bit nervous because there's quite a few posters in a package from Japan and I'm not sure I want customs hands all over them. Hopefully they'll be gentle!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:57:07 AM »
Are the posters' value marked over the customs limit?

If so, it'll prob take 4 - 5 days, then they'll post you out a bill for the duty.

If it's Parcelforce, you might be lucky enough to be charged a nice £13.50 'handling fee' on top of your 20% VAT (or it could be £8). You can then pay it online and choose a re-delivery day. Feels like getting robbed every single time it happens to me.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:31:44 AM »
You've missed off the import duty also, and that's at 10% plus V.A.T. And that handling fee depends on the value of the package. I was charged £45 handling fee once. Which is why I stopped buy from overseas.  I've been hit for an extra £80+ in total before, so don't buy from Abroad unless it's a steal of a price...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
It's been released from customs but it has about £30 of fees to pay. When I work out the total cost of these posters retrospectively I'm not sure I'd of purchased them. Actually I would, but as Paul said I'm becoming less inclined to buy posters from overseas. I'm more annoyed about the delay in getting them to be honest.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:06:43 PM »
If you are prepared to take a chance, and put less than $35 on the customs form ( and the seller is willing to do so ). You pay nothing in charges, and have your package in (usually) less than 7 days.

I used to do it, but people are not as easy going as they were 5-10 years ago.  Mind I had a $600 poster coming over that way once. It was a bit scary, but it turned up fine...     

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 02:09:11 PM »
Agree with the delay frustrations - I had a poster make it over the pond in about 2 days, then to sit in their depot for 7 days before I even received the bill...and they have the cheek to charge such a high handling fee!

As a future tip, if you're buying prints, I think you can get the VAT rate reduced to 5% as it's a limited piece of art (rather than a mass produced piece of art). Never tried it though.

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:39:02 PM »
If you are prepared to take a chance, and put less than $35 on the customs form ( and the seller is willing to do so ). You pay nothing in charges, and have your package in (usually) less than 7 days.

I used to do it, but people are not as easy going as they were 5-10 years ago.  Mind I had a $600 poster coming over that way once. It was a bit scary, but it turned up fine...     

That was a brave thing to do on a $600 poster, glad it worked out though. I think they marked it at $40 but I spent £50 in shipping and I think they add the amounts together for some strange reason. I don't wait for a letter from customs telling me I have a charge, if I see it on the tracking website that I've been charged I call and pay straight away, a good tip if you things faster.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
I once had to argue with aussie customs to get my restored posters back.  I kept telling the lady but they are mine...I sent them out and now they are coming back to me, they've already passed through customs once without fees.  We kept going round is circles...in the end I think she gave up in frustration and let me just take em.
Ves

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
I've wondered, if I send a $3000 poster overseas to get backed for $300, when it comes back into the country is the declared value to be $3300 or $300?. Wouldnt want to pay taxes on a poster again I had already paid taxes on when originally purchased and brought into the country.

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 04:23:02 PM »
She tried to argue with me that I had to pay tax on the services...the restorer declared the value of the work, not the posters.
I said the service wasn't done here, how can you charge me for that...she then proceeded to ask what the posters were worth to try to get me to pay based on that.  I wouldn't have a bar of it.  I went in with invoices etc proving they had already entered the country once so she couldn't charge me again.  I think it got too hard for her, and like I said, she gave up.
Now I just get them to under-declare, but send them fully trackable, express...so it only takes them about a week to get here.
Haven't had an issue since.
Ves

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
That's really crazy. I decided to go to the depot and pick the posters up myself. The handling charge was more than the cost of the VAT in the end! Almost took the fun out of getting them but I opened them up when I got back to work and I soon remembered why I enjoy collecting posters so much! I'm going to try and post some of them later...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 01:01:30 PM »
She tried to argue with me that I had to pay tax on the services...the restorer declared the value of the work, not the posters.
I said the service wasn't done here, how can you charge me for that...she then proceeded to ask what the posters were worth to try to get me to pay based on that.  I wouldn't have a bar of it.  I went in with invoices etc proving they had already entered the country once so she couldn't charge me again.  I think it got too hard for her, and like I said, she gave up.
Now I just get them to under-declare, but send them fully trackable, express...so it only takes them about a week to get here.
Haven't had an issue since.

Thanks for the info Ves.  I've always wondered what happens with restored posters coming back over the border.  This is why I have always leaned towards using Dario because I would avoid all of this.

Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 08:56:34 PM »
I've wondered, if I send a $3000 poster overseas to get backed for $300, when it comes back into the country is the declared value to be $3300 or $300?. Wouldnt want to pay taxes on a poster again I had already paid taxes on when originally purchased and brought into the country.

...Ditto.  That's the question Watson.

I might ask Sherlock Holmes to investigate this because to this day I have NO clue how it works in the UK. Everytime I ask this  I get a different answer..wtflipping flops is going on... I don't mind paying my dues, but ...er...paying them TWICE? you TA'KIN TO ME?

So, I don't know what t

Mirosae

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
Frustration, Frustration, Frustration...

Dear UK Customs.

Rules are there to be observed and implemented properly. Do please charge me accordingly, NOT randomly.

I bought my poster from the US in March. Today, FIVE WEEKS later I finally managed to pay the CORRECT fee to my beloved UK Customs. As always UK Customs tried to overcharge me. As always. I had to ''fight'' for the right fee.

WHY UK CUSTOMS cannot calculate the right fees straightaway to me is simply beyond belief. And WHY I have to spend my time ''explaining'' the UK and EU tax system to UK Customs it is simply extraordinary. I really wonder why I must go through this never ending chain of calls, emails, etc 

My initial charge according to UK CUSTOMS?  £389+ handling fee £10.99.

CORRECT fee as paid just £84 + £10.99

All settled now. Till next time...when after purchasing my poster I know I will have to make THAT call to UK Customs and hear that voice...''yes maaa'm''.

For the record. I do not mind paying a fee. That's the system. But  please, please, PLEASE UK CUSTOMS, could you please charge me the RIGHT fee?

Thanks.

Yours etc

A frustrated  collector.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 06:09:16 PM »
Frustration, Frustration, Frustration...

Dear UK Customs.

Rules are there to be observed and implemented properly. Do please charge me accordingly, NOT randomly.

I bought my poster from the US in March. Today, FIVE WEEKS later I finally managed to pay the CORRECT fee to my beloved UK Customs. As always UK Customs tried to overcharge me. As always. I had to ''fight'' for the right fee.

WHY UK CUSTOMS cannot calculate the right fees straightaway to me is simply beyond belief. And WHY I have to spend my time ''explaining'' the UK and EU tax system to UK Customs it is simply extraordinary. I really wonder why I must go through this never ending chain of calls, emails, etc 

My initial charge according to UK CUSTOMS?  £389+ handling fee £10.99.

CORRECT fee as paid just £84 + £10.99

All settled now. Till next time...when after purchasing my poster I know I will have to make THAT call to UK Customs and hear that voice...''yes maaa'm''.

For the record. I do not mind paying a fee. That's the system. But  please, please, PLEASE UK CUSTOMS, could you please charge me the RIGHT fee?

Thanks.

Yours etc

A frustrated  collector.

Maybe if you heard the words, "Yes, miss," you might feel as light as a feather?

It's all about presentation and correct salutations.   ;)

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 06:14:41 PM »
Maybe Jeff...maybe..that said, they are always polite.. it is rather the WRONG information they give me when i call what really, really gets to me moron1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 06:17:19 PM »
Or put you on hold for 25+ minutes.....  moron1

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:17:41 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 12:00:33 AM »
That must have been one expensive poster Rosa!

Glad you got it sorted
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 01:59:16 AM »
Thanks Chris!!

I'm sharing this here in case others in the UK have had similar experiences. It seems to me that their approach is to always calculate the highest fee and for you to make the case for the lower ..

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
That is absolutely ridiculous.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 09:19:16 PM »
And now time to show the poster.... :D pcorn

Mirosae

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
.....I need to think first where to hang it...uhm.. :D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 12:21:50 AM »
.....I need to think first where to hang it...uhm.. :D

Did you pick a spot?

I'm sure it must be displayed in the best light possible.

:)

-Jeff