Author Topic: Hollywood Poster Frames  (Read 36270 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Re: Hollywood Poster Frames
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2011, 06:29:41 AM »
So, if my understanding is correct, the feature of the standard backing is that it merely does no harm to the posters by being acid-free, but the archival backing actually sucks acid out of the posters?

Also, any chance we could see someone's photo comparisons of the glare vs non-glare?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:32:00 AM by Chop-Top »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2011, 06:55:32 AM »
Yes, pictures would be great!
As you can see from mine, a lot of glare!
Wondering what the non glare is like.

Also the light is reflecting of the fold lines, which isn't looking that great.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:56:20 AM by bigmike »

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
http://www.americanframe.com/

I've used these guys for many moons, way before the internet when their business was mail order. Never had a problem, as a matter of fact, they are one of the very best businesses I've ever used.  And, as a former framer for Michaels Farts and Crap, I would never use any of their economy frames for anything of value.  Plus, even as a Michaels employee, with the discounts and fudging, it was always cheaper to use these folks.  You only have to be handy at twirling a screw driver with the metal frames and the wood ones have plastic corner inserts that work very well. Only drawback to the woodies is I'm not fond of the clips to hold in the artwork, and prefer the flexible points, but it's a bit of a pain unless you have a point gun.  And I frame a lot of stuff, from one sheets on down, with the occasional quad tossed in and learned a long time ago that the care and feeding of classic paper is not cheap. Oversize frames (length + width = more than 54/55 inches, I think) has an extra shipping charge.  Down side is also that they don't have UV barrier plexi larger than 32x40 and my one sheet frames are 30.5 x 43.  For one sheet size UVB plexi I have to have it shipped in from my son in the States (not a cheap endeavor, I must say).

Just as a side note.  I've never regretted spending the bucks to frame something, but every time I've cheaped it, I've looked at the frame and wondered WTF was I thinking  ;D

Hope this adds an option for the DYIers.

Lynn

I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2011, 07:03:23 PM »
I just checked.  A Logan glazing point gun is around $30 from Amazon.  Given what we spend on framing, this is a reasonable investment, especially when compared to using brads.
-Jay-

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »
I'm afraid to total up the amount I've spent this year on framing.  Probably well above $1500  :o, but worth every penny.
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »
So, if my understanding is correct, the feature of the standard backing is that it merely does no harm to the posters by being acid-free, but the archival backing actually sucks acid out of the posters?

Also, any chance we could see someone's photo comparisons of the glare vs non-glare?

no no no
standard backing, is not entirely acid free, nor is the archival backing. However the non-archival backing has a buffering agent applied to the surface or the paper sheet itself is manufactured with the buffering agent. No paper of any kind can be completely free of acidic agents

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
no no no
standard backing, is not entirely acid free, nor is the archival backing. However the non-archival backing has a buffering agent applied to the surface or the paper sheet itself is manufactured with the buffering agent. No paper of any kind can be completely free of acidic agents

So what IS the difference between the standard backing and archival backing offered by HPF?

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread (even though some of it's questions weren't answered), but I had a question that seemed to fit in well here during my searching.

I just purchased a ton of bags and backings from Bags Unlimited. I got 10 Mylar Sleeves w/10 of the .1875" Foam Archival backings (and 10 clips) as well as 25 of the polyethylene 4mil bags w/25 of the .028 acid free boards for those. I figured I would put my more expensive posters (that I'm not framing) in the mylar sleeves and the rest in the polyethylene sleeves.

Anyway, so I'm also about to go buy some more frames from HPF. I've already purchased three in the past (all the "deluxe" version), and was very happy with the quality, but need about 5 more and wanted to try and save some money.

Could I just buy the economy frames and use some of the backings I purchased from BU to replace the backings in the frame, which would in effect "upgrade" them to the archival frame level?

I assume the answer is yes, but I wasn't positive if the backings were "frame compatible".

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2012, 02:32:38 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread (even though some of it's questions weren't answered), but I had a question that seemed to fit in well here during my searching.

I just purchased a ton of bags and backings from Bags Unlimited. I got 10 Mylar Sleeves w/10 of the .1875" Foam Archival backings (and 10 clips) as well as 25 of the polyethylene 4mil bags w/25 of the .028 acid free boards for those. I figured I would put my more expensive posters (that I'm not framing) in the mylar sleeves and the rest in the polyethylene sleeves.

Anyway, so I'm also about to go buy some more frames from HPF. I've already purchased three in the past (all the "deluxe" version), and was very happy with the quality, but need about 5 more and wanted to try and save some money.

Could I just buy the economy frames and use some of the backings I purchased from BU to replace the backings in the frame, which would in effect "upgrade" them to the archival frame level?

I assume the answer is yes, but I wasn't positive if the backings were "frame compatible".

Do you want to use the foam backings or the cardboard backings?  If you want to use the cardboard just place it behind the poster and on top of the non-archival economy backing (as a buffer) that comes with the HPF frame.  If you're using the foam it should be thick enough on its own.  You might have to cut either or though to fit the frame...
Chris

Offline enki

• Collector
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2012, 02:53:29 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to see when I get them which is the easier method.

It seems, based on the earlier comments in this thread, that people have a strong disdain for the frames that Michaels has. My wife is anxious to go there this afternoon to get a few cheap frames (she has like two stackable 25+40% off coupons) for some of the cheaper posters we have that she wants to hang up. Newer 27x40 posters that are more in the $10-50 range.

She thinks she can get them for about $20-25 each, which would be less than half of the cost of getting them at HPF (not to mention I gawk at the idea of spending $60+ to house a $20 poster).

Are they really that bad?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »

It seems, based on the earlier comments in this thread, that people have a strong disdain for the frames that Michaels has. My wife is anxious to go there this afternoon to get a few cheap frames (she has like two stackable 25+40% off coupons) for some of the cheaper posters we have that she wants to hang up. Newer 27x40 posters that are more in the $10-50 range.

She thinks she can get them for about $20-25 each, which would be less than half of the cost of getting them at HPF (not to mention I gawk at the idea of spending $60+ to house a $20 poster).

Yep, I played that same game but those frames are terrible.  The backing literally crumbles and gets all over the posters.  I bought $300-$400 of them and they were all consigned to the garbage long ago.

Just buy in volume from HPF or Spotlight Displays. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »

I think they are perfectly fine for "less valuable" posters that you just want to get up on the wall.  You just have to be cognizant that they have no archival properties such as UV filtering.  I have 2 27x41 frames that I brought back from the US from Michaels (don't have this size here) and all I was concerned about was not letting the original backing touch the posters (i.e. put an acid-free buffer in there or replace the backing with an acid-free foam board).  The frames are fine as long as the posters are not in direct sunlight and not highly valued posters...
Chris

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
2 of my 4-5 Michaels collage frames converted to poster frames fell off the wall because the fucking wire gave.  To me that that is a testament to their quality.  HPF or spotlight for me from now on.

Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2012, 08:08:05 PM »
Has anyone experienced any fading? What is the longest you have had the posters in the frames for?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2012, 09:40:01 AM »
Has anyone experienced any fading? What is the longest you have had the posters in the frames for?

These two that I have posted here several times have been in Sue's premium archival frames since 1998 and on constant display.  No noticeable fading, but I do keep them out of both direct and reflected sunlight.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:41:47 AM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
I've seen the poster on the right somewhere Jay.. but I can't seem to recall where right at the moment

These two that I have posted here several times have been in Sue's premium archival frames since 1998 and on constant display.  No noticeable fading, but I do keep them out of both direct and reflected sunlight.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:19 PM »
Is there Non glare worth the additional cost?

I had samples sent to me from a plexi company. Same plexi Sue uses.

However, the Non glare 6"x6" piece I received. Sort of matte like, but on the piece you can't tell. However, I still see some glare, just distorted glare.
Is this how the non glare plexi is?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »
No noticeable fading, but I do keep them out of both direct and reflected sunlight.

I think think that is the simple answer.
David

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »
I've seen the poster on the right somewhere Jay.. but I can't seem to recall where right at the moment

your mirror.  :P
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2012, 08:34:25 AM »
Is there Non glare worth the additional cost?

I had samples sent to me from a plexi company. Same plexi Sue uses.

However, the Non glare 6"x6" piece I received. Sort of matte like, but on the piece you can't tell. However, I still see some glare, just distorted glare.
Is this how the non glare plexi is?

And I thought I was overly analytical  ;)

Yes, Mike.  The non-glare makes a big difference in real life.  No, its not perfect, but it tends to be the difference between having something that displays well in a lighted room and something that is just reflected images.  Basically, both will reflect a light source, but the regular plexi will pick up and reflect images of everything that is in front of the poster as well, like the couch, stuff sitting on the table, etc.
-Jay-

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
No, the samples were $5. I figure better to see samples first (which obviously didn't help much). As if I had to make another purchase, would be 10 frames (to save on shipping costs). Didn't want to make a mistake.