Author Topic: Peter's Collection  (Read 9276 times)

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Peter's Collection
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
In an effort to focus my collection I've (momentarily) settled on the keepers, and made a page a page so I could see them more often than the twice a year trip to the poster pile.  Some of you might find it interesting.

So, here's my collection:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pmolitor/trade-home.html

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Dr Hackenbush

Re: Peter's Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »
You have some spectacular pieces of movie paper, Peter.  I'm especially envious of your Harold Lloyd LC

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:13:19 PM »
Could not agree more, some excellent items there I would like myself. Full marks Peter.
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 05:08:18 PM »
I think it is the dream of EVERY collector to have their collection displayed online this way (and it is a zillion times less expensive that framing everything and putting it on their walls).

I don't have a single suggestion on how to improve what you did! It is magnificent.

Bruce

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »
I like the older stuff you have, nice to see as these items hardly ever surface.

and

I agree Bruce, I would pay someone to go through all my stuff and take new pictures and touch them up to put it online, but I think it would take forever at this point I let it go so long.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:10:36 PM »
Actually, I think I enjoyed your small contextual write-ups that accompanied each piece as much as the posters themselves!  I started browsing through pretty quickly, but then found myself reading through each one in detail. 

Absolutely fantastic collection!  I'm glad to see someone else on APF with pre-80s tastes :)

Bruce

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
I have nothing to add, but I just noticed that Dale has one more post than me, so I wanted to catch up!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 07:18:40 PM »
An absolutely stunning presentation, Peter.  The art you have preserved is priceless and the accompanying text is a real treat.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 07:23:33 PM »
Great stuff Peter and I enjoyed reading your comments as well - an inspiration for the rest of us!

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »
Many thanks for the nice words folks, sometimes I think I'm a little far out in the wilderness with my collection, it's nice to know others enjoy these as much as I do.  I think every collector fantasizes about putting their collection into book form, luckily using teh interwebs is a lot cheaper!

--Peter

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »
Awesome collection, and very well presented.  So many beautiful stone lithos!!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Carson

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 04:29:35 PM »
I saw this on NSFGE and it blew my doors the first time; just went back through the collection again.

Der Flug ums Leben (1912), M - The original German program, The German Blow-Up, S.O.S. Iceberg.. unreal. I thought I had the best art for Repulsion until I saw that Italian 2 sheet.

Most enjoyable for me is the sideline commentary describing the poster, anecdotes, facts and theories as well as some real humor.

The best collector site I've seen so far, along with Brislington's UK site.

An original 1910s SALOME window card? WTF!

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »
Thanks again, gang. 

Carson, now you've got me curious.  Would love to see your "Repulsion" (poster) at some point.  Which one is it?

--Peter

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
This Russian poster for Battleship Potemkin has to be one of my favorite finds from your collection. It is simply incredible and I love your write up... heart of the cold war propaganda indeed!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »
yes thats great! funny story, when I first bought a VHS of Night of the living dead as a kid, I used to even after the credits watch the static, (some sort of OCD), to see if there was anything else, usually there was a test pattern, on NOTLD there was a single frame that said THE MEN AND THE MAGGOTS, took me ages to rewind and pause (keep trying) to get to the second to read it. freaked me out.
years later at University studying film, I watched the movie and all of a sudden there comes the text "the men and the maggots".

Battleship Potemkin
GREAT STUFF.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 02:12:26 AM »
I agree with you Harry.  BP is such a great film and to see an early COO poster is awesome.  Simply a magnificent poster.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 10:04:12 AM »
Actually, this is a re-release poster:

BRONENOSETS POTYOMKIN (aka BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN) (R. 1963) - A film at the core of modern cinema, Sergei Eisenstein's "BP" added volumes to the language of film. Famed for the montage of the valiant proletariat fleeing the Tsar's troops down the Odessa Steps, "Potemkin" won admirers throughout the west for its virtuoso technique.

This is a 1963 re-release, country of origin, Russian release, intended for use in the Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War.

However, I think the fact that this poster was produced at one of the most intense periods of US--USSR relations makes it all the more powerful of an image!  It is just stunning!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
yes thats great! funny story, when I first bought a VHS of Night of the living dead as a kid, I used to even after the credits watch the static, (some sort of OCD), to see if there was anything else, usually there was a test pattern, on NOTLD there was a single frame that said THE MEN AND THE MAGGOTS, took me ages to rewind and pause (keep trying) to get to the second to read it. freaked me out.
years later at University studying film, I watched the movie and all of a sudden there comes the text "the men and the maggots".

Battleship Potemkin
GREAT STUFF.

:o

Do you know if this made it into the DVD editions?  Do you think it was put there by Romero or the video transfer company?  That is just crazy... there is no mention of it in the trivia or "crazy credits" sections on IMDB and Google, of all places, came up with nothing!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »
haha nah, its a shonky Aussie company that used to release videos and they probably screwed up. HOLLYWOOD HOUSE VIDEO I called them recently to ask about a few things and thery were sus on why I would call.

just tried to call them, no answer.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Carson

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 08:13:50 PM »
Thanks again, gang.  

Carson, now you've got me curious.  Would love to see your "Repulsion" (poster) at some point.  Which one is it?

--Peter

Hi Peter,

My 2 panel.
It's good art but it doesn't strike me as your Italian 2 sheet. Have you seen at least one other example of your Italian Repulsion in another collection? I can't say I have as yet.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 12:35:16 AM »
That is pretty sweet!

Believe it or not, I think the Italian due is pretty common.  For a while there a dealer in Spain seemed to have a neverending supply, I was able to get a lesser quality one for a decent price because I think they'd been flogged down by the excess supply.  Ah, the good old days...

--Peter

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »
The locandina also has the same artwork and can be had for around $75 (or less if you are patient).

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 01:47:39 AM »
Bump...

What a great collection, Peter. Any recent updates?

-Jeff

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »
I really love your poster website. A great taste in films as well as in artwork!
Brought up the idea in my head to start a 'Top 100 posters of my archive' file :)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 08:27:51 AM »
A fascinating read, I just learnt a lot looking through that collection and website...excellent. I love collector's websites, but love them even more when there are some personal thoughts/opinions and interesting tidbits of information.