Author Topic: Hello there  (Read 3904 times)

Mitchell

Hello there
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:24:04 AM »
Hey folks my name is Mitchell and I'm a NEWBIE!!!

I think I'm off to a decent start though. I recently set up a small home theater with a 3d tv. I called my wife's cousin who works in a theater and asked him if he could get me a 3d movie poster. What I meant by that was a simple paper poster with a movie that was showing in 3d. He gave me a double sided poster for the movie Dolphin Tale in 3d. BUT what he also gave me was a hard plastic lenticular poster of the Rising of the planet of the apes.

Pretty cool for a new collector ( I think anyway) . I have no idea if its worth anything but I found an old sale on Ebay and it went for over 100 bucks.

I also found a guy on Kijiji selling a hard plastic lenticular of Glee 3D. He was asking $50 for it so I offered him $20. Lowest he would go was $30 so I picked that up to.

I found it selling on Ebay for about $200

Both lenticulars are in great shape.

So am I off to a good start?

I hope this hobby isn't going to cost me a fortune!!!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Hello there
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 09:59:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mitchell  welcome1

Sounds like a good start.  How much it costs kind of depends on how committed you become.  If you are just looking to decorate your theater, it will probably not be all that expensive.  If you get addicted to the posters themselves, then the sky's the limit.
-Jay-

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 10:17:10 AM »
 welcome1 to APF, Mitchell!
Make sure to post a pic of your home theater once it's been decorated.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »
Welcome Mitchell. The more the merrier.  cheers

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:17:43 AM »
Hi Mitchell and welcome to the forum.  To answer your question, there are no good or bad starts.  Collect what you like, regardless of pricing, and you can't go wrong.

As far as spending a fortune... Yes, you will.  This little niche hobby is extremely addictive, especially if you love movies.  Ask Mel :). Let's talk in a couple of years when you reach a 1,000 posters.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »
Hi Mitchell, sounds a good start to me - make sure you post a piccy of the Rise of the Planet of the Apes lenticular, it sounds cool! :)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »
Welcome to the board, and pics are a must here, so post away...  enjoy.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »
To answer your question, there are no good or bad starts.  Collect what you like, regardless of pricing, and you can't go wrong.

Great advice here.

Welcome aboard.  :)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
So Mitchell,

Are you the guy who posted on this over in AVS Forums a few days ago and that I referred over here?

If so, double welcome aboard!
-Jay-

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 03:15:32 PM »
Happy to have you.  Regardless of collection or cost just have fun!  But, I would have to say a Planet of the Apes Lenticular is a very good start...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »
Hi.  Enjoy your time and most of all have fun!
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 01:00:54 AM »
Took me forever to get Mitchell set up as a member, for some reason  he kept getting bounced by the software.  Glad he persisted. 

And yes, Mitchell, like others said, it's all what you make of it.  Some people wouldn't give you 2 cents for the lenticulars.  I like them, as others do.  Soon, you'll probably have a lightbox or two in your HT setup, and then you'll be off and running tracking down posters to put in them.  Welcome to the slippery slope.  I started out just like that with a handful, and now I'm around 5000 in 10 years.  That's light compares to some of the other members that have 10K, 20k, 30K and more.

Like I said, make of it what you will.  Just have fun.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
So Mitchell,

Are you the guy who posted on this over in AVS Forums a few days ago and that I referred over here?

If so, double welcome aboard!

That's me!!

Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think I'll continue to look for great deals on Lenticular's but I think I'm going to go in the direction of  Lobby Cards as wall space here is at a premium. Hey Holiday maybe my wife put a bug in the system to keep me from starting another hobby......... ;D I'm glad I persisted also!!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 11:26:22 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think I'll continue to look for great deals on Lenticular's but I think I'm going to go in the direction of  Lobby Cards as wall space here is at a premium. Hey Holiday maybe my wife put a bug in the system to keep me from starting another hobby......... ;D I'm glad I persisted also!!

I love lobbies and have a lot of them.  I also like older material, so it works out.  Lobbies started disappearing in the late 80s, the same time half sheets and inserts went away.  You can get lobbies for newer films, but they turn out to be German, English, Spanish or Italian.

Definitely look at inserts and half sheets too.  They tend to be less expensive than 1 sheets, take up less wall space and are cheaper to frame.  Half sheets especially, since they are a common frame size and you can pick up frames from Michaels and Hobby Lobby really cheap on sale.
-Jay-