Author Topic: the new “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” Poster by Tom Whalen  (Read 20972 times)

Bruce

ATTENTION! Starting at around 9 AM CST Thursday morning, we will add a message to the home page of our site showing details of how to order the new “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” Poster by Tom Whalen. Want to do something now? Send an e-mail to phillip@emovieposter.com and we will reply with how to make payment around 9 AM. http://www.darkhallmansion.com/?gallery=its-the-great-pumpkin-charlie-brown-artist-tom-whalen-standard-edition

Bruce

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
I'm confused, is this an eMovie exclusive?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
I'm confused, is this an eMovie exclusive?

Seems to be, and it's pretty cool I have to say.  Whalen's best since Steamboat Willy
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
Wow Bruce!

I emailed Philip.  Got an email from him to click through, and all three versions are sold-out.  That was quick =( 

John

Bruce

Crazy, crazy morning!

All three editions are now sold out. We will collate the orders in the order in which they were paid, and see if we have to refund anyone.

Thanks to everyone who ordered!

Bruce

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Frakin flippers.  Isn't there any way that they can be cut out?  There's one schmuck that has the steel edition listed for $4,999.  Un-frakin-believable.

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Bruce

We limited everyone to one of each. There were guys wanting to buy lots of them, and I got the sense they are able to do so elsewhere, which would help explain the loads of eBay listings for most of these. Of course there is no way of knowing if those who bought one each will list them on eBay, but that is all they can list.

There are still some of each that will be sold on Wednesday at darkhallmansion.com and they will also have a raffle for two of the steel edition, so it is worth going over there to check it out.

This was an interesting experiment, and I would like to do it again, but only with quality projects like this one. I would not have an interest in most of the typical offerings I have seen.

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
This was an interesting experiment, and I would like to do it again, but only with quality projects like this one. I would not have an interest in most of the typical offerings I have seen.

Key phrase: 'quality projects"
More power to you, Bruce!
 thumbup

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
People like Charlie Brown?

I can't wait for the Ziggy vs. Family Circus show.  It'll be a hoot.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: the new “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” Poster by Tom Whalen
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 11:24:57 AM »

I can't wait for the Ziggy vs. Family Circus show.  It'll be a hoot.

Not even close to the mark this time, Archie. It's was a good project and a worthy subject at an apropos time of year.

I have a question for you.  If you were doing a project like this, what would you choose as the subject, and who would you have be the artist?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 12:33:49 PM »
Not even close to the mark this time, Archie. It's was a good project and a worthy subject at an apropos time of year.

I have a question for you.  If you were doing a project like this, what would you choose as the subject, and who would you have be the artist?

You should start a fantasy Mondo thread!  Then we can vote at the end and maybe get it printed up!  Exclusively for APF members with >50 posts of course ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 12:37:10 PM by Harry Caul »

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
You should start a fantasy Mondo thread!  Then we can vote at the end and maybe get it printed up!  Exclusively for APF members with >50 posts of course ;D

That's actually a pretty cool idea.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 02:32:09 PM »

Charles Shulz' PEANUTS was one of the most popular comic strips in history.
Widest distribution and a licensing juggernaut.
I worked for United Media and years after his death, Schulz creations were still out-grossing all existing comic strips combined.
Yeah, I guess people do like Charlie Brown.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
Exclusively for APF members with >50 posts of course ;D

If you do it, you should check the members with >50 posts right now and record it... otherwise you'll get a flood of EBeaners suddenly finding an interest in movie posters!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »
If you do it, you should check the members with >50 posts right now and record it... otherwise you'll get a flood of EBeaners suddenly finding an interest in movie posters!

I don't think I'd limit according to the number of posts, but simply to who has registered as of today.  I'm able to track that easily enough.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 03:56:44 PM »
Well, you probably have 75 members that have never posted... and probably another 25 or so with less than 5 posts.  I was thinking of using post count to make sure the print edition was kept in check.

It would also be great to have members pay up front, but then hold back the distribution for a month or two.  Meanwhile, have the artist do a set of 10 proofs that are auctioned off on eBay (with some sort of nice promotion on different forums, blogs, etc...).  But here is the kicker, instead of flippers getting the profits we'll give it to the artist.  Novel, I know!  I'm sure we'll still end up with some flippers from APF, but I imagine it will be kept to a minimum.  Anyway, just an idea...

I know T would vote for a Stout BTTF in a heart beat!

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »
OMG says it is the "first officially licensed Peanuts print" so presumably they'll do others, probably including a Christmas print.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »

As far as the art goes, it's probably Whalen's best (not saying much) for what is the only barely watchable Peanuts special. Some may enjoy the nostalgia factor, but it is hard to get away from the fact that Charlie Brown and the gang were offensively bland and a terrible comic/cartoon.  Well, except for bringing us the first lesbian character on the Sunday pages...

As for subject and artist, I've always said that I prefer prints for Great films that have lousy original posters.  Many of my favorite Alamo's (The Shining (1st one), FBDO, North by Northwest (Kleinsmith), Field of Dreams, etc...) follow that pattern.  From there, I like to see artists take some risks, so I am far less interested in seeing another Stout or Moss, than a Kleinsmith or Ryan...

Charles Shulz' PEANUTS was one of the most popular comic strips in history.
Widest distribution and a licensing juggernaut.
I worked for United Media and years after his death, Schulz creations were still out-grossing all existing comic strips combined.
Yeah, I guess people do like Charlie Brown.

No shit...   You mean by playing to the mind-numbingly simplistic, morally self-righteous you can become popular in America.  Who woulda thunk it?  Popularity doesn't equal quality...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »
No shit...   You mean by playing to the mind-numbingly simplistic, morally self-righteous you can become popular in America.  Who woulda thunk it?  Popularity doesn't equal quality...

You need some cheese to go with that whine...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 10:39:19 PM »
???