Author Topic: Anyone Tried Acid Free Spray?  (Read 13233 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Anyone Tried Acid Free Spray?
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:45:11 PM »
There's a "Make It Acid Free" Spray out there that supposedly lowers the pH level of acidic papers and slows the aging process.  Wondering if anyone has looked into this further or tried it?  Most of the stuff I found was people who collect newspapers using it.  Thought it might be worth looking into using on my big 55x77 considering I really don't know how acid free the standard clear acrylic I'm thinking about getting for it will be.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.krylon.com/products/make_it_acidfree/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:11:38 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Anyone Tried Acid Free Spray?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »
I suggest against it
that's the kind of thing a talented restoration expert should be doing
you wouldn't work on your car engine if you weren't a mechanic would you?

I also suggest doing so (spraying your paper) is an act of "fear"
ie: Oh my. My paper is going to disintegrate.. what shall I do!
the fear industry is very big in America. Don't give in to it

so don't worry. stored properly, your paper should be just fine

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
I suggest against it
that's the kind of thing a talented restoration expert should be doing
you wouldn't work on your car engine if you weren't a mechanic would you?

I also suggest doing so (spraying your paper) is an act of "fear"
ie: Oh my. My paper is going to disintegrate.. what shall I do!
the fear industry is very big in America. Don't give in to it

so don't worry. stored properly, your paper should be just fine

I respect your caution, although how much skill is needed to point and spray? This would be better compared to waxing your car.  I'm not attempting a restoration (or working on my car engine), I'm just looking for a little additional protection for a particular poster which I plan on framing under a less expensive acrylic, nothing is a cure all, I understand that but I haven't found anything to say it hurts.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:27:13 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Bruce

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:30:37 PM »
We use "Make It Acid Free" Spray on EVERY poster we sell. After we use it, we dust the posters with "Anthrax Drying Powder".

Bruce

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »
We use "Make It Acid Free" Spray on EVERY poster we sell. After we use it, we dust the posters with "Anthrax Drying Powder".

Bruce

That's enough for me! Thanks!  ;D  Where do you get Anthrax Drying Powder?  Sounds dangerous.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:19:28 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »
I respect your caution, although how much skill is needed to point and spray?

I don't know... how much skill does it take not to end up with permanent moisture wrinkles and waves?

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
I have also been interested in this idea, but turned off it after reading the following articles:

Article 1:

Some points mentioned in above article on deacidification sprays:

Deacidification sprays can cause some problems.
They can:
• darken newsprint and some other wood pulp papers
• change the colors of color media and supports, such as dyes, inks, and papers
• cause staining on some types of papers and leathers
• lead to a residue build-up on paper
• lead to cockling and buckling of some papers
• cause running of some media, such as inks, pigments, and watercolors

Article 2

Article 3

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:53:52 PM »
What the hell is a "cockle"?

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »

Bruce

You are a brave guy Bruce; I assume this is a joke....  My google search turned up nothing.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »
You are a brave guy Bruce; I assume this is a joke....  My google search turned up nothing.

As the police are now knocking at your door. laugh1

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »

If you googled "Anthrax Drying Powder", expect a visit soon from your local FBI agent ;)

doh! bigmike beat me to it

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »
I don't know... how much skill does it take not to end up with permanent moisture wrinkles and waves?

That's why you test it on something else first.

Obviously sarcasm through the web escaped me on Mr. Bruce's response.  Should have seen it with the Anthrax line.  And if the FBI shows up I'll direct them to Bruce, along with a receipt for him to reimburse me for the acid free spray.  I am not amused by that one, I come seeking guidance and all I get is grief.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:35:26 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »

I also read it is too hard to hand spray it evenly, which is required

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »

Obviously sarcasm through the web escaped me on Mr. Bruce's response.  Should have seen it with the Anthrax line.  And if the FBI shows up I'll direct them to Bruce, along with a receipt for him to reimburse me for the acid free spray.  I am not amused by that one, I come seeking guidance and all I get is grief.

oh cmon.. Bruce is just joking.. But I again recommend AGAINST doing this. the time frame that the paper deteriorates under the best conditions is very many decades. Well stored paper can last for 100 years easily without much deterioration at all and under the best storage can last for 200 years more. I have a large amount of Newspaper Comic Sections going back to 1905. I do not do anything special to store them other than keeping the temperature consistent. They have not deteriorated one bit during the many years I have had them

Fear is not the reason to do something like this. as 50s has previously noted, there are many  unexpected things that can happen

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »
AnswersMVP.

Don't worry about the grieve or sarcasm. We all get it.

Your new to the hobby no? I understand why you'd be over protective. I was like that too. In my opinion I wouldn't use the spray either. As long as they are stored properly, you shouldn't have an issue. Forget about spraying anything on the posters. Enjoy your collection. If anything happens or when issues arrive, then let the professionals help you and give you advice.
Like I said store them properly or display them properly, you should not have a problem.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:00:36 PM by bigmike »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »
oh cmon.. Bruce is just joking.. But I again recommend AGAINST doing this. the time frame that the paper deteriorates under the best conditions is very many decades. Well stored paper can last for 100 years easily without much deterioration at all and under the best storage can last for 200 years more. I have a large amount of Newspaper Comic Sections going back to 1905. I do not do anything special to store them other than keeping the temperature consistent. They have not deteriorated one bit during the many years I have had them

Fear is not the reason to do something like this. as 50s has previously noted, there are many  unexpected things that can happen

My big concern is the acrylic, I simply can't stomach paying $300 a sheet for the size poster I'm trying to frame, so if I go for a cheaper sheet what's the chances it will damage the poster?  Or is the paper more naturally acidic than the acrylic... if acrylic is acidic at all, because there seems to be acrylic sprays out their for documents that supposedly "protects" them, which makes me assume I should be alright with whatever I go with when it comes to that.  That was my only concern.  

I think my problem is a lot "professional" framers tend to over emphasis what you should frame something in or with and it's scared me a little, probably should just take it with a grain of salt and understand they recommend not to skimp on prices because they make more money if you don't.  I've had a couple basketball posters in some cheap frames for over ten years and they'll still perfect, I'm beginning to think a lot of this is framer scare tactics, and I feel foolish for falling for it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:17:36 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 10:14:08 PM »
#1) I hear those sprays that they use on Plexi, eventually wear off.
#2) You have to do research on the sheets of plexi. That's why I asked which one you were going with. I have posters I still did not frame yet for a long time because I can't find the one I like locally.
#3) If you go with the cheaper cost of plexi, you look at the cost of the poster if its cheaper to replace if something happens or is it worth the cost difference for the UV Plexi.
#4) If its a valuable poster, I would stick with the acid free backing and hold out for a UV sheet of Plexi.
#5) The main opinion I take from a professional framer is from Sue at Hollywood posterframes. She knows our hobby. I asked her about the frames for a larger poster, she said she'd make the frames, and then told me what brand of plexi and backing to use to preserve the poster.
#6) Do not buy your supplies from those framing shops, mark up is huge.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:16:35 PM by bigmike »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 10:27:45 PM »
#1) I hear those sprays that they use on Plexi, eventually wear off.
#2) You have to do research on the sheets of plexi. That's why I asked which one you were going with. I have posters I still did not frame yet for a long time because I can't find the one I like locally.
#3) If you go with the cheaper cost of plexi, you look at the cost of the poster if its cheaper to replace if something happens or is it worth the cost difference for the UV Plexi.
#4) If its a valuable poster, I would stick with the acid free backing and hold out for a UV sheet of Plexi.
#5) The main opinion I take from a professional framer is from Sue at Hollywood posterframes. She knows our hobby. I asked her about the frames for a larger poster, she said she'd make the frames, and then told me what brand of plexi and backing to use to preserve the poster.
#6) Do not buy your supplies from those framing shops, mark up is huge.

I'll forgo the spray, but I'm not going to worry about the plexi if it's soaked in acid so be it!  I'm starting to think it's all overblown, I'll take the risk.  If the thing is dust in 50 years who cares, I'll be dead anyhow.  I'm going to stop reading these write ups by people who make money on selling the supplies.  It may warrant some truth, but in realty I don't care if something lasts after I'm gone.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 10:31:44 PM »
I think the acid would take longer. It just shouldn't be in direct sunlight either.
There was a post or picture on the internet or here, can't remember, not going to search it now as its a bit late. Comparing glass, plexi, and UV plexi. On certain posters. It slowly was deteriorating it.
But I think it takes less time for the older ones to deteriorate.
** there was also another thread, that stated even the UV sheets aren't fully UV protective either.

Whatever makes you happy and makes you enjoy the poster.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:32:33 PM by bigmike »

Juli

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »
other than keeping the temperature consistent.

This is the one thing I am unable to do. I am stuck living with my parents until I get a job and make enough money to move out. When my parents put on the air conditioning they do not have it low enough to make my room cool, and on top of that they only sometimes even turn it on, so there have been several days where my room (where my collections are stored) will get to be 90 degrees. It makes me very upset.

I have noticed some deterioration on some of the paper items in my collection. My parents will not allow me to have my own window AC unit due to it makes the outside of the house look bad. I am trying to find a solution where I can keep my room cool at all times, and not have it make my parents upset. If you have any ideas I'd much appreciate them.

~ Juli

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
I think the acid would take longer. It just shouldn't be in direct sunlight either.
There was a post or picture on the internet or here, can't remember, not going to search it now as its a bit late. Comparing glass, plexi, and UV plexi. On certain posters. It slowly was deteriorating it.
But I think it takes less time for the older ones to deteriorate.
** there was also another thread, that stated even the UV sheets aren't fully UV protective either.

Whatever makes you happy and makes you enjoy the poster.

Sun was never an issue for me, because I wasn't planning on hanging anything in direct sunlight.  The paper itself has acid in it, so it's ultimately a losing battle.  Stock this up to newbie jitters, I'm not a museum so I'm not going to worry that much about preservation.

Though Bruce's "joke" might stop me from making any more bids on his site in the near future, as Amazon.com won't let me cancel my Acid Free Spray purchase.  >:(

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 10:51:22 PM »
Sun was never an issue for me, because I wasn't planning on hanging anything in direct sunlight.  The paper itself has acid in it, so it's ultimately a losing battle.  Stock this up to newbie jitters, I'm not a museum so I'm not going to worry that much about preservation.

Though Bruce's "joke" might stop me from making any more bids on his site in the near future, as Amazon.com won't let me cancel my Acid Free Spray purchase.  >:(

well I'm glad I'm only being helpful >>>>> www.movieposterbid.com <<<<<
 sm1

-------

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 10:55:37 PM »

Geez, how close did you also get to securing some Anthrax Drying Powder???

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 10:58:11 PM »
Geez, how close did you also get to securing some Anthrax Drying Powder???

Sorry, but you don't usually expect sarcasm regarding a subject the guy is a professional in and I'm asking a genuine question.  I didn't notice the anthrax "joke" right off, I saw drying powder.  I'm new to this thing, so for all I know you need "drying powder" after an acid free spray.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:32:53 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 11:31:10 PM »
Sorry, but you don't usually expect sarcasm regarding a subject the guy is a professional in and I'm asking a genuine question, and I didn't notice the anthrax "joke" right off, I just saw drying powder, and I'm new to this thing, so for all I know you need "drying powder" after an acid free spray.

I agree with you, seriousness is in order... Anthrax is nothing to be sneezed at