Author Topic: Advice on Ebay purchase problems  (Read 5728 times)

Lebowski

Advice on Ebay purchase problems
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:58:06 AM »
Okay, bear with me, as this is going to be a lengthy initial post, but I'll try to make with the brevity when possible.

Last week, a seller on Ebay was running a series of auctions for the same poster (he had multiples of the same poster), each one ending over the course of a day. I won one of the posters in the afternoon. That evening, I tried to win another for a buddy of mine, but was outbid. I try to pay as quickly as possible when I make a purchase, so I went ahead and paid for the one poster I won. A little later that night, I was sent a second chance offer on the second poster. Cool, right? I hit the purchase button and sent a message to the seller that I would take it, but to please adjust the shipping before I paid, since I had purchased the other auction and I assumed he would combine shipping on the two.

No answer from the seller that night. I check again in the morning for an updated invoice. No go. I send another message with a link to the first auction I won, explained I would of course like both posters shipped together and to please adjust the shipping charge from the second auction. Still nothing. Finally, later that afternoon, I get an Ebay automated message saying my first poster had shipped. Great. :P So I sent a third message to the seller saying that I guessed my posters WOULDN'T be shipped together. I get back this exact response: "yes thats correct". Double great.

So I suck it up and pay for the second poster with the full shipping charge. The posters arrived a few days later in two separate tubes (one on Friday and one on Monday). First thing is that these were shipped first-class mail and the postage sticker on each read $3.09. I was charged $10 each for shipping. >:( Second thing, these were shoddy tubes. Easily squeezable by hand. One had a fairly sizable dent in the side.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l235/crazerace/b25e20ab.jpg

Sufficed to say, that poster suffered a large bang right through the middle. Also both poster tubes were only packed with a single magazine page on one end of the tube as protection, causing both posters to receive edge damage/wear from sliding back and forth into the unprotected end cap.

The seller's auctions says he doesn't take returns. Bullshit, I say to myself. I'm not accepting this. I send the seller a message Tuesday morning detailing what happened and that I would like to return both posters. No answer. I send another message Wednesday:

"I did not receive an answer to my message I sent yesterday regarding a return I would like to make. I have copied the message I sent yesterday below. If I do not hear anything by tomorrow morning, I will be returning the posters to the return address along with delivery confirmation."

Still no answer. So, if you've made it this far, thank you, and on to my question: Should I go ahead and send back the posters with delivery (and signature, to cover my bases) confirmation, even though the seller has not responded? Once I've sent them back and there is proof of that, if I have to open an Ebay claim, shouldn't it be found in my favor? Should I warn the seller one last time that I am sending the posters back and fully prepared to open a claim?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Re: Advice on Ebay purchase problems
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 11:04:02 AM »

Go ahead and tell us who the seller was in this transaction.  Maybe one of the group members can tell you about similar transactions and how they turned out.

I would file your paypal and ebay disputes now.  I would not wait to send them back.  Some people have sent them back and been screwed out of poster and money.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Lebowski

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 11:08:20 AM »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »
The seller sounds like a bit of a cock. I'd open up a Paypal dispute to say the items were not received in a satisfactory condition and seller is not responding to your emails. You'll prob have to return them to him somewhere along the line, if you do, make sure it's trackable!

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
Mel and I both got our DS Amadeus RR posters from this guy for .99.  Mine was damaged in transit because of a flimsy tube.  He didn't respond so I opened a case.  He then sent a new one after several e-mails through the ebay resolution center.  Just open a case and that should wake him up.  Plus ebay now refunds both the purchase and shipping cost and actually locks their money in paypal.  So they can't actually get to it until you release them from the case.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »

Good reply Charlie.  I did not know that ebay had become more buyer friendly.
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:02:53 PM »
Not much more I can add, do as Charlie says. Open a claim, and give him Negative feedback straight away. Thats what I did last time there was any bother. I also told the seller they would be outed on several poster forums, which seems to make them move a bit quicker...
It's more than a Hobby...

Lebowski

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just got done filing claims on both posters. I'll keep you all updated!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »
I'd also ask the prick why he failed to honor his advertised combined shipping charge ($1 additional poster) which is clearly stated to the right of the poster pic.
Acer9228...a seller to remember, eh?

Lebowski

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 02:44:04 PM »
I'd also ask the prick why he failed to honor his advertised combined shipping charge ($1 additional poster) which is clearly stated to the right of the poster pic.

I'll take "The seller wanted to make more profit off of his overpriced shipping" for $200, Alex.

Lebowski

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
HOLY COW! I already got my refund! How sweet is that?! :D

Lebowski

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
Now who wants to sell me a Dude Invitational poster?!  ;D

Lebowski

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »
Or rather two Dark Knight Rises one-sheets?

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »
If you ever receive something that looks like crap from the outside, I would encourage everyone to refuse the package without even opening it.  That way, it never leaves possession of the USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.  They cannot accuse you of not sending it back or messing it up and then wanting to return it.  That is all assuming it is something you can order another of relatively easily.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »
If you ever receive something that looks like crap from the outside, I would encourage everyone to refuse the package without even opening it.  That way, it never leaves possession of the USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.  They cannot accuse you of not sending it back or messing it up and then wanting to return it.  That is all assuming it is something you can order another of relatively easily.

How does that work...
- can you refuse a parcel? Why would the post office allow a refusal if they then have the expense of returning it to sender
- wouldnt the seller see you refused it and as such he has done his bit... and could say the package was damaged on the return sector

On a seperate question, who should do the leg work to make the insurance claim? Must be the seller I would think. I think some sellers leave it for the buyer to resolve.  Ensuring the payment gets to the seller as required is the buyers full responsibility so in reverse it should be the sellers responsibility for shipment to get it to the buyer.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
I'm glad eBay is more buyer friendly, but there are some bum buyers out there who are starting to take advantage of it.  I had some nutcase win one of my auctions (it wasn't a poster) then decided she didn't want the item.  After a week of arguing with her to pay she gave me negative feedback and some bogus accusations about the item which she didn't even have and hadn't paid for.  That experience almost killed selling anything on eBay for me, and eBay won't allow sellers to leave buyers negative feedback anymore so there's almost no stopping a crappy buyer from pulling anything on you.  Eventually I got the negative feedback removed, or she removed it, after myself and another seller, who'd also been screwed by her, teamed up and filed disputes against her.  It was a mess, haven't sold anything on eBay since, and still makes me weary of doing so.  So there really is no balance on eBay anymore, it's good if you're a buyer, horrible if you're a seller.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:47:45 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
Here's a link to one of the auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320759028621&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I was browsing his feedback, here's an example of a bad buyer, similar to what I was referring to.  Left him a neutral and this was the comment

"i didnt realize how small this was. i wish it was a larger poster for the $"

Looked at the auction page and the seller clearly states the dimensions.  I guess a minority of idiot buyers comes with selling on eBay... can you even give a buyer a neutral rating as a seller anymore?

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »
If you ever receive something that looks like crap from the outside, I would encourage everyone to refuse the package without even opening it.  That way, it never leaves possession of the USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.  They cannot accuse you of not sending it back or messing it up and then wanting to return it.  That is all assuming it is something you can order another of relatively easily.

I did this on a package from Israel; worked like a charm.  I took a look and had the attendant scan and refuse the package due to damage.  I also took pictures of her scanning it and sent it to the seller.  The cap had come off and 8 posters were missing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 07:13:36 PM by Charlie »

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »
I am glad you got your refund!

Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.