Author Topic: I'm a Newbie... and I Need Guidance  (Read 35611 times)

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
Re: I'm a Newbie... and I Need Guidance
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
Good luck with that.

Let us know which sheet you end up getting though.

Sure thing, I'll get more details on what it is from the guy when I call on Monday and order it.  I lucked out finding him, figure I'd call my local sign shop as a last resort and he pointed me in the direction of the guy he gets his supply from.  Cool thing is he'll cut it for free and they make weekly deliveries in my area, and since they're about 30 minutes away (on a good no traffic day) it saves me a couple hours!  So $150 a sheet is worth it considering the time and gas money I'll save.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »
I agree on that. It is a good price, for him to cut it and deliver it. Which sheet is it?

I am having a very hard time getting Plexi down here in Canada. I have to call some local shops too.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »
I agree on that. It is a good price, for him to cut it and deliver it. Which sheet is it?

I am having a very hard time getting Plexi down here in Canada. I have to call some local shops too.

I don't know which sheet it is. He just said his standard clear acrylic that was a large enough size to cut the piece I needed.  Honestly after a week and a half of searching and not coming up with anything I really didn't care much.  He had it, it was a good price, and I don't have to go get it!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 12:12:11 AM »
Okay now who want to help me frame this baby that I ordered? 55x118 inches  :o

Yea I'm not going to attempt it...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »
 clap clap clap clap

Beautiful poster.  Congrats!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2011, 03:04:12 PM »
Any recommendation on where a good place to buy ArtCare Acid Free Foamcore board online?  I was going to buy it from the company I'm ordering my frame but learned it wasn't thick enough (only 1/16) I really need the 3/16 for the frame I'm getting.  I've found a 25 box of 3/16 30x40 Archival for $146 doing a Google search plus $40 shipping, not sure if there's a more competitive price out there, plus i don't really need 25 sheets.  And what's people's thoughts on the black Foamcore?  Other than the color is there any difference?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 04:37:45 PM »
I would ask around at frame shops in your area. Artcare would cost more to ship than it is worth if you are only buying a piece or two...

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
I would ask around at frame shops in your area. Artcare would cost more to ship than it is worth if you are only buying a piece or two...

Is $5.84 a sheet for 3/16" pretty reasonable? (this is the higher quality double sided Archival not the regular acid free)  I don't mind buying a 25 box, seeing I'll probably be framing more things in the future.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:51:21 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »
Well my box of Artcare came today, found a whole case fairly cheap on Amazon, and was able to use some Amazon points I had so it cost me nearly nothing.  Only thing I'm waiting on is the frame, and looks like I'll be waiting a while.  Seems the frame I picked out is on back order, they didn't bother to tell me that until I'd placed my order (would have been nice to have that info on their site).  They told me they expect to get it the end of next week, and I'll probably get it a couple days later.  Should have waited until I got the frame before I bought everything else (lesson learned for next time) but I really didn't expect to get everything else so fast.  Artcare came the next day and the plexi was delivered the day I ordered it!  Could have chosen a different frame instead of waiting, but I really like the frame I chose, so hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2011, 06:06:48 PM »
By the way, I should have remembered to warn you... but never have plexi cut until after you have taken measurements of the assembled framed.  I did the same thing you did once (ordered frame and plexi simultaneously) and I ended up needing to get the plexi trimmed down a bit more.  You may be ok, but remember that tip for next time.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 01:34:52 AM »
Is it common for French 47x63 posters to sometimes have double folds?  Usually it appears they've got 3 horizontal fold lines and 3 vertical.  I'm looking at one that looks like it was folded a couple additional times as it has 7 horizontal fold lines and 3 vertical.  Is this something that the distribution company might have possibly done on some posters or would this have been the end issuer's doing? 

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2011, 05:20:44 AM »
Well it's complete!  What a beast of a project, but in the end it was completely worth it, I love the way it looks. Now only if I could find the actual film...

So I've proven you can frame a picture this size relatively inexpensively.

1. Wooden Frame - $144.79
2. Acrylic 55x77 - $84.70
3. Artcare Archival Foamboard  4 sheets - $26.00

Total $256.00

Now the Acrylic sheet that I got was actually 75 x 100 and cost $150 so I have acrylic left over for a couple smaller posters (I had two pieces cut to size for German posters, and a really long piece I could probably get a couple inserts or daybills out of), and I bought a box of 25 sheets of Foamboard, so overall I spent a little more money, but they can be used on future framings.  Once I found someone local for the acrylic the only hold up was the 2 week backorder on the frame, which came in Tuesday and it took me a few nights to assemble everything together.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2011, 06:09:45 AM »
Love the poster! Good on you for making it all happen (I don't have a single frame  :( )

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »
Marisa Mell never looked better. Congrats!
 clap clap clap clap

Charlie

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2011, 08:41:08 AM »

A... Yeah, totally worth it. Already finding myself going back to stare at her; the eyes are where its all happening for me.   Jealous....

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »
Looks great! frame choice was good too.
What acrylic did you end up going with?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
Very nice, Charlie.  That is going to display well and be a centerpiece.

Now only if I could find the actual film...
You are likely going to run into that a lot.  The majority of pre-war films no longer exist, especially films from the silent era.  These films were printed on nitrate stock.  Nitrate is very unstable and will deteriorate quickly if not stored in a cool, dry environment.

Not just early films are a problem.  The original masters for Jaws deteriorated into a state that was nearly unsavable after being stored for only 15 years.  Fortunately, studios are now aware of the value of video releases, and DVD and BluRay has raised awareness on the need for increasing quality of masters.  So we can all rest comfortably, knowing that Spy Kids 3D is safe forever :)

Good overview article over on Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_preservation

-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2011, 11:25:47 AM »
Impressive work man.  Congrats!
Chris

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
Looks great! frame choice was good too.
What acrylic did you end up going with?

It's called Acrylite GP.

You are likely going to run into that a lot.  The majority of pre-war films no longer exist, especially films from the silent era.  These films were printed on nitrate stock.  Nitrate is very unstable and will deteriorate quickly if not stored in a cool, dry environment.

It's out there somewhere, I know for a fact someone has a copy that was recorded off German TV.  I just don't think it was ever released on DVD or video even though it's only a late 1960's film.  It was even released in the US under the name City of Fear.  I've scoured the rare film torrent sites, nothing so far.