Author Topic: I'm a Newbie... and I Need Guidance  (Read 35613 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: I'm a Newbie... and I Need Guidance
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 09:38:13 AM »
Here is a data sheet from Bayer on UV transmission: http://www.framersbrand.com/FBDataSheet.pdf  It shows blocking for two different brands ov Vivak and implies 100% blocking in the uV region.  The A22 blocking would extend into the visible violet region (38-450 nm) so it might mute deep purples.

That is great to know that Vivak makes an actual UV blocking material, but the A22 is not what Spotlight uses.  This is the data sheet Spotlight sent me: Vivak UV.  If you read closely, especially the paragraph at the bottom, it doesn't really mention UV protection for what you are framing up, just that the product itself is UV stabilized.  Same goes for their webpage... notice how they are actually described as UV stabilized and non UV stabilized. 

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/vivak_family.cfm

Not saying it won't help cut some UV, but I'm not sure how much I trust it for more expensive items.  You can always just buy the Spotlight frame with vivak, but replace the front piece with some conservation plexi. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 09:44:23 AM »

Sorry it didn't work out Charlie... it looks like it would have been cool!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »
That is great to know that Vivak makes an actual UV blocking material, but the A22 is not what Spotlight uses.  This is the data sheet Spotlight sent me: Vivak UV.  If you read closely, especially the paragraph at the bottom, it doesn't really mention UV protection for what you are framing up, just that the product itself is UV stabilized.  Same goes for their webpage... notice how they are actually described as UV stabilized and non UV stabilized. 

http://www.sheffieldplastics.com/vivak_family.cfm

Not saying it won't help cut some UV, but I'm not sure how much I trust it for more expensive items.  You can always just buy the Spotlight frame with vivak, but replace the front piece with some conservation plexi. 

We talked about this several months ago, and I found some pages on display and preservation.  Noy bothering to look it up right now, but I remember that the conclusion was that heat was a bigger enemy than UV itself.  Even if the UV is blocked, you can find that the sun heating the frame and outside of the glazing can cause fading.

Personally, I keep posters in areas where sunlight is not an issue. 
-Jay-

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2011, 08:42:58 PM »
I've got another question.  How do I figure out if a price for a certain poster is reasonable when there doesn't appear to be any others of the same version begin sold or have sold?  I'm interested in a poster a dealer has for sale $120, the only other example of this version of from the same country I've found is by another dealer with an overblown price of over $500 (which I'm quite sure it's not worth).  The US and British posters of this film seem to be selling well under $100.  My concern is even the $120 price may be a little high as this dealer is selling another poster that I've seen going for about $30 elsewhere for $100.  So I'm a little torn, I can't find it on ebay, emovieposters or google.  What do you guys do in situations where you can't find other examples of the poster your interested in being sold?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:45:50 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »
There are a lot of variables.  Is it newer (post 1970)?  Sounds like it's not US or UK release, those are definitely harder to come by regularly.  How long have you been looking, and are you sure you couldn't wait it out, trying for the bargain?  If not, how much have you got in your wallet to spend right now?

Getting a comparable price should only be used on comparable items and a poster from a different country has a whole different set of criteria.  Is the poster you want country of origin?  That's a premium.  Is it the best art?  That's a premium.  Does the art blow?  That's a discount.  Is it a difficult size to frame?  That's a discount.  Comparing it to prices of US/UK posters is not really appropriate imho, if it's not from either one.  Don't worry about what those are going for.

If you seen it for $120 and $500 (and it's not US or UK posters), and it's not in the usual databases or you don't have any thing to compare it to, and you've got to have it right now, $120 would seem to be the price. 

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2011, 10:44:37 PM »
There are a lot of variables.  Is it newer (post 1970)?  Sounds like it's not US or UK release, those are definitely harder to come by regularly.  How long have you been looking, and are you sure you couldn't wait it out, trying for the bargain?  If not, how much have you got in your wallet to spend right now?

Getting a comparable price should only be used on comparable items and a poster from a different country has a whole different set of criteria.  Is the poster you want country of origin?  That's a premium.  Is it the best art?  That's a premium.  Does the art blow?  That's a discount.  Is it a difficult size to frame?  That's a discount.  Comparing it to prices of US/UK posters is not really appropriate imho, if it's not from either one.  Don't worry about what those are going for.

If you seen it for $120 and $500 (and it's not US or UK posters), and it's not in the usual databases or you don't have any thing to compare it to, and you've got to have it right now, $120 would seem to be the price. 

--Peter

It's a French poster 47x63, of a UK film.  I my opinon the art is better than most of the other countries versions.  Not something I have to have now, but was curious on how I would be able to figure what a decent going rate would be.  I guess when you only have one option then that is the going rate, or wait and see if another comes along.  I think it would go cheaper at auction but who knows if one will come along.  I do think the price is a little inflated, because as I said they have another French poster the same for a similar film size and want about 3 times more than I've seen it selling and not selling for at auctions.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 03:48:57 AM »
I own a few French posters, so if u want to send me a PM and tell me which one you're looking at, I'll tell you if I think the price is right or not.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 07:05:07 PM »
The price of ANY of these posters can vary greatly.  If you cannot manage to calculate a range through any of the auction sites on the internet, it is all about how much you want it.  I recently won a Pumpkinhead poster for 20 bucks or so.  The same sold several months ago for around 400 because two people got into a bidding war.  My best advice (which many will echo on here) is to set a price that you are comfortable with and STICK to it.  Thierry is very patient and has been collecting for some time now.  I am patient (to an extent), and have my own limitations.  At the end of they day you have to live with how much you pay.  Sorry I cannot give you a more direct answer but collecting is so subjective that most times it cannot be done.

Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I've got another question, and for the sake of starting another thread I'll ask it here.  Looking for a 39x55 frame, found these on ebay, anyone familiar with the seller?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Map-Frame-55-x-39-Oversize-Complete-/220803152359?pt=Photo_Frames_Display&var=&hash=item7914cd344a
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:56:32 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 02:06:54 PM »
My first poster arrived in from Fedex today!  ;D  But the search for an overlay still continues.  I've found one company a half hour away who has what I probably need but they refuse to get back to me, they've emailed me once and seemed very helpful but then never responded to my follow up inquiry.  So I finally call this morning to get some pricing info and they said they'd call me back shortly... haven't heard back.  If I ever get these overlays I think I'm buying two sets so I don't have to go through this again.  >:(

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 07:19:42 PM »
I have found that most dealer prices are negotiable.
I wouldn't be too quick to pay full price before any dickering has been done.

Get the dealer as hungry for the potential sale as you are for the potential purchase.
Communicate with the seller.
Ask lots of questions about the poster.
Request large scans because a sale is imminent.
Closely examine the condition of the poster and highlight any and all defects.
Use these flaws to drop the asking price down one, two...maybe three notches or more.
Maybe you'll get that poster for a lot less than it is advertised.
Never swing at the first pitch.
 wynk

And... be patient grasshopper.
I had a beautiful poster on my Ebay watch list for over one year.
Only one I could find anywhere on the internet.
A long time ago, I made the seller an offer which he politely refused.
I really wanted that poster but I could not justify spending the money.
It sat for months and months on my watch list.  No takers.
Just as I was about to break down and pay his full price, another identical poster appeared at 1/2 the price (shipping included) and in better, unused condition.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
^
Agreed.  But I'm about the lose my patience with these plastics companies, no wonder there's not many around.  Their customer service blows and 90% of what they have on their website they don't even carry, it almost makes paying an overblown retailer price of $300 a sheet worth it... almost.  If they don't want to deal with individuals for a couple sheets fine, but tell me.  I specifically start off by asking if they deal with individuals, they say sure and then give me the cold shoulder!

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 07:47:21 PM »
You already tried eplastics?
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 08:06:07 PM »
You already tried eplastics?

Eplastics doesn't carry what I need in the correct width, they cutoff at 48" like everyone else seems to.  What eplastics has at the over 48" width is either too thick or ridiculously expensive (over $300) a sheet and that's not even UV Protective.  This company I'm trying to get info out of said they had a sign grade acrylic that was in the large sheet and UV protective for under $100 a sheet, it's probably lower quality but at this point it fits my budget and it's the size I need.  It's just like pulling teeth to get anyone to respond to an email or call me back!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 12:23:33 PM »
Okay I found someone who can get me clear acrylic with limited UV protection. For about $150 a sheet.  I'm thinking about going with them, they'll even deliver it to me.  I've come to the conclusion I'm going to have to give quite I bit on this size poster, and that means finding something that's UV and glare free in a reasonable price range is pretty much out of the question.  I emailed Spotlight about another idea I had about using two pieces of their overlay for the front and back, since this is a two piece poster essentially have the overlays cut to the size of the pieces (which would be 55x39 and 55x38 waiting to hear back on what he thinks.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
The Vivak spotlight material is much too floppy.  The frame leaves the backing plastic 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the wall.  You would see chaffing and damage.

OTOH, I have considered using 2 sheets of 4x8 acrylic for a six sheet, mounted to the wall.  Problem solved itself when the new house doesn't have any place suitable to display one.
-Jay-

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2011, 01:47:13 PM »
The Vivak spotlight material is much too floppy.  The frame leaves the backing plastic 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the wall.  You would see chaffing and damage.

OTOH, I have considered using 2 sheets of 4x8 acrylic for a six sheet, mounted to the wall.  Problem solved itself when the new house doesn't have any place suitable to display one.

Not quite sure what you mean by chaffing and damage... the wall would damage the backing? 

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
The Vivak spotlight material is much too floppy.  The frame leaves the backing plastic 1/4 - 1/2 inch from the wall.  You would see chaffing and damage.

OTOH, I have considered using 2 sheets of 4x8 acrylic for a six sheet, mounted to the wall.  Problem solved itself when the new house doesn't have any place suitable to display one.

I actually think I'm going to take the advice you gave me at the beginning of the thread and order a nice wood frame from Pictureframe.com, some acid free backing, and obtain one sheet of acrylic from this other local company I found today.  That will actually end up costing me a little less than a Spotlight and two sheets of acrylic, and would probably work better overall for this size poster.  So now I'm looking into that. 

So if I go that route am I correct in assuming I'll need to tape the two pieces of the poster together in the middle so the top doesn't side down? (with acid free tape of course)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:55:57 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
How much is the frame from Sue versus the frame from pictureframe.com?
Because I know Sue from HPF will sell just the frame alone (if they are for the larger poster).

There is also professionalplastics.com to check out as well.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 05:15:39 PM by bigmike »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »
How much is the frame from Sue versus the frame from pictureframe.com?
Because I know Sue from HPF will sell just the frame alone (if they are for the larger poster).

There is also professionalplastics.com to check out as well.

I found a pretty nice Cherry stained wood frame at pictureframe.com for about $140 (just the frame) that's only about $20 more than a Spotlight frame only.  I went ahead and emailed professionalplastics for a quote on their AcryliteŽ Resist 45, I'll be surprised if they respond (I actually think already emailed them before a week ago and they never responded).  I've found most of these companies simply don't feel like dealing with individuals who want a couple sheets, or they don't carry it in stock and ordering it would require them to do a bulk order.  You think in this type of economy they'd be a little more open to getting business from anyone, but obviously not.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:10:54 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2011, 06:21:25 PM »
Ya, I emailed professional plastics awhile ago too.
Never emailed back either.

Is this the plexi you are looking for?

http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/acrylite-resist-kpxp61t8ucm/acrylite-resist-colorless-0ra45-gt-lvm69p55hoe~p.html

Does anybody know if we can use Acrylite FF? I think Rona and Home Depot sell that one.
Or how about this one here??  Is it good to use?

http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/acrylite-framing-grade-pc1zqjiqwl6/acrylite-framing-grade-colorless-0a000-ff3-pyu7iz55df~p.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:48:53 PM by bigmike »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2011, 07:16:09 PM »
Ya, I emailed professional plastics awhile ago too.
Never emailed back either.

Is this the plexi you are looking for?

http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/acrylite-resist-kpxp61t8ucm/acrylite-resist-colorless-0ra45-gt-lvm69p55hoe~p.html

Does anybody know if we can use Acrylite FF? I think Rona and Home Depot sell that one.

Ideally that's what I'd like to use, but finding someone who has that in a larger sheet and who will respond to me seems to be impossible.  So at this point I've pretty much settled on a standard clear acrylic from someone here locally, don't really know the stats on what it is, I just know it's not very UV protective, but I don't plan on hanging this near much sunlight so I figure I won't have an issue.  The way I see it something is better than nothing.  I can just hang the thing on my wall bare, but seems to me it would be exposed to everything plus the risk of physical damage, this way it's at least more protected than it would be.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 07:17:08 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
They sell the 48X96 sheet for just over 100 bucks. Just click order full sheet to give you the prices.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »
They sell the 48X96 sheet for just over 100 bucks. Just click order full sheet to give you the prices.

Yea but I need a sheet to cover a 55x77 poster... see the problem... it's that dang 7 inches that screws me over! I need the 60x96 sheets and nobody has those.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2011, 07:35:06 PM »
Good luck with that.

Let us know which sheet you end up getting though.