Author Topic: Help!  (Read 10370 times)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Help!
« on: September 21, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
I just got fucked by the USPS for the first time and I am livid.  I am monday morning quarterbacking myself that I should have sent instructions to the seller but they sent in one of those triangular tubes and the goddamn usps crushed it.  So I have some creasing on the posters.  My question is if I act fast what is the best method to flatten?  Books? Thanks in advance everyone.  I will post pics shortly...
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
Hard to say without seeing poster, but if there are folds, you are most likely

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:46:02 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »

IMG_4179 by CJHORROR, on Flickr

IMG_4178 by CJHORROR, on Flickr

IMG_4177 by CJHORROR, on Flickr

IMG_4182 by CJHORROR, on Flickr

IMG_4183 by CJHORROR, on Flickr

IMG_4181 by CJHORROR, on Flickr

IMG_4184 by CJHORROR, on Flickr

What's the diagnosis....

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »
I'd rolled them very tight the other way and let them sit for a few days.  If they have fold marks, like Jay elegantly put it, you're screwed.  But if it's just waving, you should be fine.  Hard to tell from the pix.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »
T, waving is a much more accurate description.  I will take your advice.
Thank you,

Conor

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »
Demand replacements from the seller.  
Any putz who uses those triangular boxes should be ass-whupped.

Great series of posters, Conor.
Hope they come clean or you get replacements....TREEHOUSE OF HORROR is classic.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:02:03 PM by brude »

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:18:37 PM »
Thanks Ted.  I actually wanted to ask you guys (and gals) if you knew anything about these.  I came across them and loved them.  I got them at a good price I believe and was told they were only available to Simpsons employees.  They measure 27 x 40. I do not think the seller has anymore honestly.  I blame myself for not giving any kind of advice for shipping.  It does not appear that the seller regularly sells posters but I will send a message notifying them of the problem.  Really, it is the jackass who crushed them that I would like to have a conversation with.

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »
I've never seen them before and I love them. If those creases bother you too much, send them to me and I'll auction them!

Bruce

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »
I'd rolled them very tight the other way and let them sit for a few days.  If they have fold marks, like Jay elegantly put it, you're screwed.  But if it's just waving, you should be fine.  Hard to tell from the pix.

T

Yup, tight roll them (like 1" diameter... *very* small) and leave them for a few days/weeks.  Then reverse the roll for another few days/weeks.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 03:14:24 AM »
I got them at a good price I believe and was told they were only available to Simpsons employees. 

I doubt it.  With the Fox logo and all, I think that they were used much like any other TV promotional one-sheet, like Buffy's Once More with Feeling, for general promotional purposes.

I also seem to remember seeing these for sale on a website (selling other Simpsons art cells and drawings) at some point - I believe in some quantity, and not single examples.

Still, like most TV one-sheets, there are probably not a lot of them (comparatively) floating around.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 06:49:55 AM »
Thanks for insight guys.  I have rolled them in the opposite direction and will hope for the best.  I am movie next week so I will leave them rolled until then.  I will post some follow up pics also.

Thanks again,
Conor

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »
Love the posters.  Even though I was a bit direct earlier, I hope they are mostly waves and will straighten out.  Even if there is a minor fold or two, they are still worth keeping, and if you can't live with the folds, you can certainly sell them to me.
-Jay-

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 07:06:28 PM »
Jay, direct has always been this best method for getting points across to me.  From what I can find there have been these posters for the Treehouse of Horror episodes 16 and up.  I have been email-ing with the seller and she is truly awesome.  She was extremely apologetic (even though it was the incompetence of the usps). 

Conor

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 10:09:55 PM »
Jay, direct has always been this best method for getting points across to me.  From what I can find there have been these posters for the Treehouse of Horror episodes 16 and up.  I have been email-ing with the seller and she is truly awesome.  She was extremely apologetic (even though it was the incompetence of the usps). 

Conor

You can't blame it all on the USPS.  If this person has any background selling and shipping, she should know better.

Go ahead and buy something from one of the auctions from emovieposter.com, movieposterbid.com or Heritage Auctions.  Compare how they package.  Bruce at emovieposter sends his rolled material out in a tube that is fully 1/4" thick.  You can stand on that tube without damaging it.  A bit extreme, but Bruce auctions 600-800 items 3 times per week and claims he has less than 10 items a year damaged in transit.  Other reputable shippers go so far as to use PVC irrigation pipe with glued on end caps.

The triangle tubes are a joke.  The tubes the studios send out aren't much better.  The white ones you buy at fedex are only marginally better.  A poster needs some very special care in order to put up with the abuse the postal system or UPS puts them through.

Putting a poster into a triangle tube and then blaming the post office is kind of like giving a sixteen year old boy a Porsche Turbo and then blaming the highway department when the accident happens.
-Jay-

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 07:43:22 AM »
This seller is brand new to ebay and advised that she has never shipped posters before (she actually undercharged me).  I should have given instructions.  The whole point of those triangle tubes (sold by usps) is to protect the document inside from being crushed. Are they shitty? Yes. However, there is also negligence on behalf of the usps IMO.  She has also insisted on compensating me. So when I receive what she sends I will follow up.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »
The triangle tubes are a joke. 

Jay... not the way I use them (as you are already aware)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------