Author Topic: Tap, tap, tap...is this thing on?  (Read 8631 times)

Repto

Tap, tap, tap...is this thing on?
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »
Hello, just joined, please excuse the smudged fingerprints as I grope my way around. My collection is at www.britposters.com although the economy, exchange rate, shipping increases and wife’s recent interest in the mysterious drain on our bank account is lowering my activity just at the moment. If any visiting time traveler just happens to have next week’s California lottery numbers handy, feel free to PM me. As you can see I am mainly interested in British quads pre-1980 although I had no interest in them back then when they were practically free and didn’t need to be shipped 5,000 miles to me. Only when I moved to the colonies and they cost a bucket of millipedes worth of arms and legs did I suddenly decide I had to have them, all of them. Bloody nostalgia. I see some familiar faces like Terry and Sue from quadbod who have helped me in the past with signature identification so I think I am in the right place.

Anyway, off to explore now….

Cheers!

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Tap, tap, tap...is this thing on?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
This is great, Mark.  Definitely the best collection I've seen in a very, very long time.  It speaks to me even more since I don't collect quads and I love to see what I'm missing.  And I'm missing a lot.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
Yes, great Hammers!  Welcome to APF!

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »

Great to see some quad interest!!!!!!! I hope it takes some pressure off the 1shts.   ;D
The water is safe, and I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »
Ah yes Mark, you have cost me some money over the years, as we seem to bid on the same posters... ;)  So much so I've been asked a few times if your site was mine...I tried to leave you an email on your site the other week, but there was no where to post one.

Never mind your here now, and we need more Back up in the Quad department, these 1sht guys have had it too good for too long...

Welcome to the Forum, it's great to have you on board.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:11 PM »
Welcome Mark. Great collection man!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Repto

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »
Ah yes Mark, you have cost me some money over the years, as we seem to bid on the same posters... ;)  So much so I've been asked a few times if your site was mine...

Really? Are you sure it's me? I feel like I lose more than I win. My Ebay ID is brislington...well, sorry about that, the good news for you is I am rapidly running out of money...although there's always the kids college fund...

Did you see that Carry on Screaming that went for $293.99 last week? I paid nearly 3 times that for mine. Apparently all my bad karma is catching up with me.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:50:10 AM »
I did see carry on screaming, it was a give away. Did you buy yours from Steve? I know his was expensive.

Mind on the flip side, in your ones that got away. There is quite a few I won of those ;D, you may see a few I've posted on here... I do find it all most amusing, keeps the hobby interesting. Which is why it was such a shame ebay did this hide the names thing, as you got to know indirectly, many of the collectors/dealers you were up against.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 03:57:44 AM »
I see some familiar faces like Terry and Sue from quadbod who have helped me in the past with signature identification so I think I am in the right place.

Cheers!

Mark

Hi, Mark!

Good to see you here!  I'm pleased to say we have also had the pleasure of filling one or two of the few gaps in your collection in the past ... and we look forward to doing so again in the future!

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »
 welcome1 to APF, Mark/Repto!
I have had your site bookmarked for easy reference for a long, long time.
Great site and fabulous collection!
 thumbup

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »
Love the Hammers too Mark.  Welcome!
Chris

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 11:20:04 PM »
I really like the annotations, Mark.  I was doing the same for my site for a long time until it just became too time-consuming at the rate I was adding new material.  The thoughts alongside the pictures add great depth to the collection.  It really is nicely done, the site and the collection. Glad to have you.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 05:03:24 AM »
Yes, your collection of posters coupled with your personal notes/background information make this a particularly interesting website.

Mark

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 06:59:36 AM »
I echo the above, the comments on each poster make the site much more captivating to read and to stay on the site. The comments make each poster more than just another trophy, but tells a story about the acquisition and what it means to you.  I have visited the site many times and have been very impressed with all the posters you have on display, the image sizes are just right for bulk viewing and each poster item is cleanly laid out avoiding distracting clutter or distracting 'effects'. The design is a bit dated of course, but the layout, as simple as it is, I like it and enjoy revisiting, it is calming... and I need calm in my life. Oh, welcome and congrats on a great collection. Love the Fantastic Voyage, Dirty Half Dozen, Superchick and generally all your posters where virtually every poster has an image of a woman falling out of her clothing thumbup

Repto

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
Thanks, glad to be here. Like me the site is definitely dated, but since it's simple html it doesn't take me long to update it. It does feel like I don't know anything about them, unless I can spot a signature or find it refernced somewhere there is not much I can say about their story so I write a little of my story instead. That was my original point in doing it though, put them out there and encourage people who know more email me their comments.

Ah wardrobe malfunctions, kids these days think they invented everything...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
Ah wardrobe malfunctions, kids these days think they invented everything...
which immediately leads to to think of...
-Jay-

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »
which immediately leads to to think of...

That pic should be posted in every thread
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
Looks more like the beginnings of a vicious jealous cat fight to me!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 09:10:20 PM »
Mark, you are from a family of pronounced loonies!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »
Haha, I think Mark might have done one to many poster reviews that day

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 09:28:27 PM »
Also the picture of the couple looks odd lower right. She looks to have no lower torso, and besides, what are they doing... in a hurrricane whats more