Author Topic: Has anyone ever mailed a Lenticular Movie Poster?  (Read 10953 times)

Juli

Has anyone ever mailed a Lenticular Movie Poster?
« on: September 17, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »
I just sold a Lenticular Movie Poster and would like to mail this today. However I am not sure how to do so and what I should expect shipping to be when I get to the counter. I looked it up on the USPS website and it told me it would cost $18 to mail a large package measuring 28 x 41 x 1 (I gave it extra room in case it goes over after I pack it) at 2 pounds 1 ounce. I am not sure if that's what it weighs, I made a total guess.

How do you ship Lenticular Movie Posters? I don't want to have to buy anything if I can do it for free (free cardboard etc.)

Thanks for any tips.

~ Juli

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Re: Has anyone ever mailed a Lenticular Movie Poster?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »

I am sure the professional sellers will follow with a better answer than mine.  But I guess, I am confused as to why you are not sending this rolled?   Honestly, your postage would be about $6 if you shipped it rolled.

Your mileage may vary,

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

guest8

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
It depends on the Len if it can be rolled or not .. Some are too fragile and can crack/break .. As for the shipping .. I think your dimensions need to be bigger still .. Do you have the packaging lined up for this already? UHaul sells frame boxes for movers to put pictures and mirrors in .. i forge how big they are but Ive had a wood print shipped in one and it has plenty of room for padding and all that fun stuff ..IIRC my metal and wood prints run about $30-50 to ship through UPS .. i dont know if Id trust USPS with something like that.

Juli

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 03:07:55 PM »
Here is what I ended up doing:

I got a piece of cardboard and used it to back the poster, then I put bubble wrap in the front of the poster and wrapped plastic wrap all around it. After that I wrapped it in brown paper and addressed it. I was in a hurray when I did it because I needed to get to the post office before 2. I made it to the post office a couple minutes before it closed. I had fragile written all over the package, and the lady at the counter told me it would be fine. I hope she's right and it gets there unharmed.

~ Juli

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:28:12 PM »
Here is what I ended up doing:

I got a piece of cardboard and used it to back the poster, then I put bubble wrap in the front of the poster and wrapped plastic wrap all around it. After that I wrapped it in brown paper and addressed it. I was in a hurray when I did it because I needed to get to the post office before 2. I made it to the post office a couple minutes before it closed. I had fragile written all over the package, and the lady at the counter told me it would be fine. I hope she's right and it gets there unharmed.

~ Juli

I hate to say, it but unless you backed it with MDF its only got a 20% chance...

tstatum

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:06:25 PM »
Fragile in postal terms = a challenge

guest8

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:48:51 PM »
So its sandwiched between pieces of cardboard and wrapped in bubble wrap ?!?!  mesmrized

I would be shocked to hear that it makes it unscathed. If one person picks it up without being gentle and the cardboard buckles the poster is done and being you sent it through the USPS Id be surprised if anyone handled that package gently.

Juli

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »
Now I feel bad. I thought the way I packed it was good, but I guess not. :( I have never mailed a Lenticular poster before so I had no idea what was the safest/best way to do it. I thought the cardboard was good because it's sturdy and can't bend (I used a heavy duty kind). I won't ever be mailing a Lenricular again as that was the only one I had and I'm done with poster collecting, so I guess there is no next time.

I hope by a miracle it gets to its destination unharmed. I feel really bad now.

~ Juli

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:30:51 AM »
I mailed an Avatar lenticular once. It was one of those solid, unbendable lenticulars. It cost $40 to appropriately package and then $40 to ship. It SUCKED.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 07:56:08 AM »
Now I'm officially worried  :(

treegate

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
I just sold a Lenticular Movie Poster and would like to mail this today. However I am not sure how to do so and what I should expect shipping to be when I get to the counter. I looked it up on the USPS website and it told me it would cost $18 to mail a large package measuring 28 x 41 x 1 (I gave it extra room in case it goes over after I pack it) at 2 pounds 1 ounce. I am not sure if that's what it weighs, I made a total guess.

How do you ship Lenticular Movie Posters? I don't want to have to buy anything if I can do it for free (free cardboard etc.)

Thanks for any tips.

~ Juli

I shipped out a number of the Lost World ones back when they originally were released, or course it helped that they were in their original boxes, but I have shipped lenticulars worldwide without issue. For domestic shipments, I would recommend UPS, for International, USPS works. Packaging wise, for those I had shipped that were not already factory-sealed, I placed the lenticular between two sheets of foam board that you would find at a frame store. I made sure they were slightly bigger than the actual poster so I could then tape around the outer edges so the poster would not shimmy out during transit. I also used very thick cardboard as well doing the same thing and then placed it inside an Ultra-Pro semi-rigid plastic sleeve and placed everything in a box padding all four sides as well. Shipped UPS Ground fully insured too and they arrived with no problems. "Fragile" and "Glass: Handle With Care" stickers on the front and back helped out too. If you do ship UPS, and you have a Staples office supply store in your area, try shipping through them as they often have $$$ off coupons in their ads or at the Copy & Print Center inside the store. I think there is a $3 off one going on currently.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
We had a timber case constructed ...

... and we were delivering it in person ... !

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 04:47:25 AM »
Suddenly I'm not too excited about what's coming in the mail.

Juli

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 05:22:01 PM »
I am so worried about the lenticular poster I sent. I really hope by some miracle it gets there in good order. The lady at the counter made me believe all was good and that it was going to arrive safely. I wish she would have told me the truth so I could have gone home, repackaged the poster correctly according to what I just learned here so it wouldn't get ruined, but nope...she lead me into thinking I did a good job.  :'(  I had never sent one of these before so I took a total shot in the dark at how I could package it. I did the best I could, but I guess I messed up. I feel really bad. I wish I could turn back the clock and repackage that poster correctly. It was a lovely poster and I hate to think that it will probably get damaged. 

For those who are considering buying posters from me, don't worry - I know how to correctly package regular posters so that they do not get damaged. I never had a problem when sending regular movie posters. This is how I package regular movie posters: I roll the poster, then I place it in a plastic sleeve, then I take a study poster tube, place either paper towels or bubble wrap on both ends of the tube so that the poster's edges do not get damaged. I then tape both ends of the tube thoroughly and address the tube and off it goes.

However, if I do sell my Slumdog Millionaire foam poster I will need some ideas on how to package that so that it arrives safely. Thanks

~ Juli

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »
Juli, do not worry about it until it is a problem.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 12:21:39 PM »
Just wanted to say that the lenticular poster Juli sent arrived in excellent condition. I haven't seen it yet myself but my Mother-in-law said it looks great. Now I've just got to work out how to get it from the US to the UK in the same condition! Many thanks Juli.

guest8

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »
Wohoo! Congrats on the safe journey ! :)

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 12:58:30 PM »
Juli, do not worry about it until it is a problem.

Wise words indeed.

Mark

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 01:08:22 PM »
Wohoo! Congrats on the safe journey ! :)

Many thanks!

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:39 AM »
I know this is a bit late but i once had some idiot roll up a lenticular Dark Knight 16" x 12" and put it in a poster tube.  ;D
Needless to say i couldn't get it out until i cut open the tube which of course left the item with a cut mark across it and i was being careful.
It was shaped like a 'U' by then anyway and the image was ruined. You could see the three images all at once.

He got it back but couldn't understand what he had done wrong.  :-\

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »
I've got a lenticular for Ring 2 at home - it was rolled and I left it flattening out for over 2 years. Went to have a look at it a few weeks back and as soon as I got it out it snapped back from flat into the rolled shape! It still looks more or less fine (no cracking from what I can see), but the memory of the material is such I doubt it'll ever stay flat.

Threenero

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »
you need to hit it with a hot air gun so it can "remember" it's right shape.

use the gun on a low heat and try to evenly heat the whole surface buy waving the gun in lines parallel to the lines on the lenticular lens.
Start in the centre and work out to one side and back to the centre and then the other side and so on. After a minute or so the poster should start to flatten out. stay about 8 to 12 inches away from the surface with the gun to avoid melting the lens and don't hold the gun in one place for more than a few seconds.    
But beware that the glue that holds the plastic on may also soften.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:16:09 PM by Threenero »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
Cool! Thanks for the tip, I might give that a try as it's only a cheapy poster. I don't have a hot air gun, but will try a hairdryer instead! :D