Author Topic: List of Known Double Sided Fakes/Bootlegs/Repros  (Read 5033 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
List of Known Double Sided Fakes/Bootlegs/Repros
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:17:23 AM »

I thought this would be a good thread starter.  It would be nice to have a one stop list to consult before making a purchase of a DS poster.  Just a simple list of current titles that a collector needs to be more vigilant about before making a purchase.  I realize that there is excellent websites dedicated to movie poster authentication such as http://movieposterauthenticating.com/wordpress/   and others.  This is not an attempt to steal their research, just merely a list to alert collectors that more research and visitation to there sites is needed.  

The one I am most familiar with is this one:

Dark Knight Style B/Heath Ledger-Joker "Why do Serious Advance"

Brian- Owner of an Original DK Style B

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:20:15 AM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

rainman

Re: List of Known Double Sided Fakes/Bootlegs/Repros
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
Good idea with regards to focusing on double sided fakes.

The forgers are getting clever but luckily as Mel mentioned they seem not to be bothered at the moment to make good fakes with non blurry text.  I presume that as long as the average joe buys the fakes without knowing it, the forgers won't have an impetus to make good fakes.

However it's good that there is already a body of authentication work published by the community, since it helps when buying posters from places like ebay where you don't have the poster at hand to do a very close up examination and therefore have to rely on images posted by the seller.

It's always good to push the seller into sending you loads of detailed images of the poster.  If they are unwilling then tread with caution.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Charlie

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
This was on Dave's Site:

Quote from:  from Dave's Site
Double Sided Bootlegs!
Look out for double sided reproduction/fake one sheets of some current titles including:

Spiderman (recalled Twin Towers style), The Matrix, Saving Private Ryan, The Shawshank Redemption, Star Wars Phantom Menace Episode 1 Teaser.

Yes, there ARE double sided bootlegs out there!! These are of exceptional quality and come from Europe. (cinemasterpieces)

Mel you have done an excellent job om your site.  Never spent the time it deserves.

Searched for a Shawshank Authentication to no avail.  Also need a Matirx Authentication....

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
Here are the most notorious DS fakes and links to the authentications:

Mel, your skill set never ceases to amaze me.  You not only provided pics, but they are also links. I was just shooting for a text list.  I have become that old guy who does not embrace new technology. 

I was looking at a Grindhouse recently.  I had no idea that there were fakes.  The thread is paying dividends already.  ;D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 10:00:32 PM »
I was under the impression that Saving Private Ryan DS bootleg was the advance.  Interesting...

Charlie

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 10:10:37 PM »
I was under the impression that Saving Private Ryan DS bootleg was the advance.  Interesting...

Yeah I have one of these fuzzy line DS Saving Private Ryan posters.  I'd sell it as real.  I am usually pretty conservative regarding fakes but for this one I am still not convinced is a bootleg...  I mean why fake Saving Private Ryan?  The others make some sense but Saving Private Ryan? :-\
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:13:07 PM by Charlie »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:23:28 PM »
By random chance I was talking to Jerry Ohlinger when I was in New York City. (He's owned a movie poster store since 1978 and has boatloads of rarities.)

He insisted that ALL DS Saving Private Ryans are fake and that all original Saving Private Ryan posters are single-sided.  

I just looked at my DS again and there's no way it's a fake. It would be damn near impossible to replicate some of the microscopic lettering, logos, etc.

What I believe is the bootleg has different cropping, fuzzy printing, mirror image on rear - all hallmarks of a repro.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:37:50 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 10:35:32 PM »
Just answer one question do you believe there was enough demand for Saving Private Ryan to warrant a fake?  If it is a fake there would be nothing keeping the "faker" from making tons of low value DS posters.  Yet we only know of the high demand titles.  It just doesn't make sense.  I know T says that he was at Dreamworks when these were printed, but I just can't fathom a reason to gather the resources to do this and then where are the sellers with large volumes of these?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »
He insisted that ALL DS Saving Private Ryans are fake and that all original Saving Private Ryan posters are single-sided.  

That is simply ridiculous.

Bruce

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »
Mel wrote "I was talking to Jerry Ohlinger when I was in New York City. (He's owned a movie poster store since 1978"

I doubt that is correct. I ran the EC Convention in New York City in 1972 and Jerry bought dealer tables from me and I was under the impression he had a store then.

Maybe it is 1968?

Bruce

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 07:14:02 AM »
Mel wrote "I was talking to Jerry Ohlinger when I was in New York City. (He's owned a movie poster store since 1978"

I doubt that is correct. I ran the EC Convention in New York City in 1972 and Jerry bought dealer tables from me and I was under the impression he had a store then.

Maybe it is 1968?

Bruce

Well, that's what the clerk told me.  His website was last updated in 2004 and it says "we've been in business for 25 years."
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:14:36 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 07:30:08 AM »
Well, that's what the clerk told me.  His website was last updated in 2004 and it says "we've been in business for 25 years."

It actually says "We have been in business for over 25 years"

This site mentions 35 years

Jerry's ebay store mentions 'nearly 4 decades'

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:33:20 AM by 50s »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
Whether he's been around for 25 or 40 years, he's clearly wrong about the Saving Private Ryan.  Both the advance/international (just the soldier, no faces in the clouds) and the regular one sheet (faces in the clouds) were printed in double-sided format.

Bruce, would you accept the suspected bootleg for consignment?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:00:42 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Bruce

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
Mel

My policy is to refuse to auction ANY suspect posters, as long as I find those doing the suspecting (and their evidence) credible. If I solely refused to auction "proven" fakes, then I would have been auctioning "minty white" inserts for years, when many major dealers were arguing they were "real".

When we receive a poster we believe to be a fake, or which we believe MIGHT be a fake, we return them to the consignor with a letter saying "Because we have our doubts about this poster being genuine we are returning it to you. If you know who sold it to you, we suggest you try to get a refund."

I have had long time dealers swear something to me, and then when I later find out otherwise, they say, "Well, I was going on a memory of what I saw 30 years ago, and I guess I misremembered". It is precisely because a super long time dealer like Jerry makes a statement like this that you should always be careful to do research on these sorts of posters so you can add up all the opinions and then form your own conclusions about all suspected fakes.

Bruce