Author Topic: Anyone Have a Movie Info Database?  (Read 5389 times)

Charlie

Anyone Have a Movie Info Database?
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
I am going to fill out my database with studio, writer, director, actors, actresses etc.  Does anyone have an excel or .csv database I can pull information from by movie title (versus me literally having to type it all out)?   If in excel, I can delete the columns I don't need and copy and paste.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

-Charlie
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:34:33 PM by Charlie »

Charlie

Re: Anyone Have a Movie Info Database?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:39:16 PM »
I guess I'll spill the beans on what I am up to.  Mel said my image flow galleries took too long to load so I developed a way to mail merge my database into html code.  The result is a streaming list of my posters I also conveniently added code that I could copy and paste directly into the forum for image posting.  No more typing out the address.  Check it out.  Not complete; truly a first draft...

http://www.abideposters.com/theposters/posterlongtest.html

Charlie

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »
OK its seems like nobody has one.  Well I found a program called Eric's Movie Database or something.  It is for organizing your DVDs.  But in a bit of luck you can export to a .csv file.  It has year, director, cast, and synopsis....  It pulls information from IMDB to populate the fields.  Only put 10 or so movies in and it looks like a winner if anyone else needs something...

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/emdbmovie.html

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »
I think Movie Label 2012 seems to be a good tool. But it is not free and I haven't figured out if it can export to .csv file.
Chengbo

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
I use DVD Profiler (http://www.invelos.com) - you simply load the (DVD) movie by either name or by barcode it will then search the online database and load all the movie information needed from synopsis to actor to director to writer to distributor etc etc etc and so much more.

You can also back that list up online so you can have an offsite copy (insurance). From memory you can export to Excel - there is a one time software fee of $30 for that you get a lifetime of upgrades.

You can download it for free (no nags) but it will only allow a maximum of 50 movies to be loaded - but at least you can see if it is worth spending the money.

David

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 10:19:12 PM »
I have one with over 10,000 titles, the first 10 weeks of boxoffice for each movie, budget, intl. BO, and tons of credits, but I intend to go online with it at some point, so I'm not sharing.  I also use it for my poster collecting, what I have, what I want, etc...

This is what it looks like...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:11 PM »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »
I use DVD Profiler (http://www.invelos.com)

I have been using it for years (the full version).  It is without question the best product of its kind.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
No, not the way I have it and not as far in time as I have it.

I've wanted to put it on line for 5 years now, but never found someone good enough to do it.  I kind of forgot about it, but I might still do it at some point.  It was always designed for my personal use, like my poster website, or even this forum, since Holiday and I never really expected anyone to join.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4168

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 03:23:21 AM »
I've wanted to put it on line for 5 years now, but never found someone good enough to do it.

What's so hard Thierry? Web-enabling databases is my day job, so I may be able to help out with that !

By the way Charlie ... I am in the process of building a movie database, which I use for my poster site. That way it's sortable by year, director, actor, genre etc which I always wished other sites were doing. You're welcome to what I have .... except most of it covers Japanese movies!

Charlie

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
What's so hard Thierry? Web-enabling databases is my day job, so I may be able to help out with that !

By the way Charlie ... I am in the process of building a movie database, which I use for my poster site. That way it's sortable by year, director, actor, genre etc which I always wished other sites were doing. You're welcome to what I have .... except most of it covers Japanese movies!

Thanks! What format is it in?  I've just been uploading in Excel/CSV to the tables...

guest4168

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 04:41:08 AM »
Hi Charlie, it's in Microsoft SQL Server 2008, so no problem to give it to you as a csv or in a Microsoft Access database.

By the way, at present it has 750 titles ... approx 40% Hollywood/English-speaking, 40% Japanese, 20% foreign-language.