Author Topic: My latest and greatest invention (or first and worst)  (Read 17980 times)

Der Januskopf

Re: My latest and greatest invention (or first and worst)
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2011, 09:50:43 PM »
Yeah, they're half inch oak boards. Had them cut down from 4x8s.

It looks very nice. But I'm not sure what you mean by oak boards? Your one edge photo shows it is layered, 1/2" plywood.

Anyhow, I was curious why you went with the thicker ply for this? 1/4" would have been lighter to deal with and given you the same wonderful results.

Cheers,

Kerry

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
It looks very nice. But I'm not sure what you mean by oak boards? Your one edge photo shows it is layered, 1/2" plywood.

Anyhow, I was curious why you went with the thicker ply for this? 1/4" would have been lighter to deal with and given you the same wonderful results.

Cheers,

Kerry

I'll have to look next time I'm at the store, but I distinctly remember them being advertised as "Oak"... Maybe I'm just an idiot.

Anyway, I went thicker as opposed to thin because when I bought thinner plywood it literally warped overnight. The humidity on the coast, and the basement where I live, wrecks the wood almost immediately without some sort of brace. This was the most feasible step up, either due to a slim selection of the lumber department or because this is actually quarter inch wood and I'm just not home to measure it.

In other words, there was nothing between the warp-prone flimsy plywood and this option.

tstatum

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2011, 10:01:36 PM »
Looks like 3/4 inch finish grade plywood

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 10:28:33 PM »
Looks like 3/4 inch finish grade plywood

I'll check tonight for sure, because while it's sturdy, it's heavier than I'd like it to be. Before I stain it and "finalize" the whole project I'll make sure there's nothing lighter that will do the job as well. I do think it's only half-inch though.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 12:40:05 AM »
I'll check tonight for sure, because while it's sturdy, it's heavier than I'd like it to be. Before I stain it and "finalize" the whole project I'll make sure there's nothing lighter that will do the job as well. I do think it's only half-inch though.

To verify...

1. As I thought, it's half-inch oak plywood. The exact product is detailed here.
2. I checked my "reject" pile and can also clarify that it was quarter-inch plywood that warped radically from just leaning against a wall overnight. The exact product is detailed here.

Also, regarding the quarter-inch plywood, it was too thin to take screws long to create a secure attachment for the hinges. I would have had to put another small piece of wood underneath for the screws to bite into, which would have created a pressure-point on my posters. I learned from trading cards that if anything sits on top of a piece of paper long enough it leaves an indentation.

I still have the "prototype" quarter-inch plywood, and if it had been sturdy enough to resist the warping I would have probably made it work somehow. But it can't take the humidity.

Charlie

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 08:02:37 AM »
To verify...

1. As I thought, it's half-inch oak plywood. The exact product is detailed here.
2. I checked my "reject" pile and can also clarify that it was quarter-inch plywood that warped radically from just leaning against a wall overnight. The exact product is detailed here.

Also, regarding the quarter-inch plywood, it was too thin to take screws long to create a secure attachment for the hinges. I would have had to put another small piece of wood underneath for the screws to bite into, which would have created a pressure-point on my posters. I learned from trading cards that if anything sits on top of a piece of paper long enough it leaves an indentation.

I still have the "prototype" quarter-inch plywood, and if it had been sturdy enough to resist the warping I would have probably made it work somehow. But it can't take the humidity.

Dish, did you ever think of making one side an open box and the other the lid.  That way when your not looking at it it can be stored away as a box.   You would have to do double hinges; one on the lid and one on the box.  Basically same design just add edges to three sides of one of the panels.  Still you can have it open to display and when you have it put up there is less likely damage to occur if someone put something on top of it....

Charlie

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »
The other thing is that if you wanted to make it lighter, your could use the 1/4 plywood and have 3/4" runner and stile around the edges.  You would have to have a router or table saw with dado setup...