Author Topic: My latest and greatest invention (or first and worst)  (Read 17978 times)

Disheveledamethyst

My latest and greatest invention (or first and worst)
« on: September 02, 2011, 12:48:36 PM »
I've been talking about this as far back as when I first joined. As I was first joining, Josh and I went halves on a bunch of custom-made protective sleeves for our movie posters. These sleeves also included a binder tab at the top. We had the intention of making some enormous binders to house the posters and having a convenient way to store and transport our small collections. Josh immediately went to work on his binder and succeeded. I immediately did nothing for a year and a half.

BUT, now I've finally built my binder. It's not completed. I haven't decided if I want to stain the wood or wrap it in canvas, but aside from aesthetics there's little left to be done.

The binder measures 30x45, measurements I chose so it would be large enough to fit B1s. When it's closed, it fits against a wall, under the bed, in the closet, the trunk of my car, or anywhere else I want to play hide-and-seek.

The sleeves themselves hang comfortably with plenty of breathing room and free from pressure, as seen above.

The binder opens all the way backwards and stands on its two covers as legs. It doesn't need it, but I'm going to ad some collapsing support braces for when it's open. When it's like an easel, the posters can be displayed on both the front and back.

The binder spines themselves are literally ripped out of a heavy-duty 2" binder. They're very strong - before I mounted them I would move the posters around by just grabbing the spines and carrying them.

The binder also lays perfectly flat to make it easier to insert, change, and organize the sleeves.

I just thought I'd share because I'm lonely and my "real world" friends don't give a damn about movie posters.

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
Re: My latest and greatest invention (or first and worst)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »
love it.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 12:56:27 PM »
Now that is what I call a Movie Poster book....

Seems quite the ticket Anthony, I would go with the wood stain, as I like dark woods....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:57:48 PM »
Pretty cool.

Juli

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
That's really cool. I wish I could invent neat things like this,

~ Juli

Offline wormie

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »
I think I'm gonna steal your idea and build mine (if you have not patented it yet ;))
The only thing I lack is that I just couldn't find the Mylar anywhere as yours, with flap and binder holes. 
Chengbo

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »
Now that is what I call a Movie Poster book....

Seems quite the ticket Anthony, I would go with the wood stain, as I like dark woods....

I'm also leaning towards the stain - I want it to look like a piece of furniture, you know? Something classy. I wish I could have made the covers with something nicer than plain oak panels (the spine is actually a furniture-grade maple) but to keep down the cost and the weight I didn't have much of a choice.

I think I'm gonna steal your idea and build mine (if you have not patented it yet ;))
The only thing I lack is that I just couldn't find the Mylar anywhere as yours, with flap and binder holes.  

The mylar sleeves are really the most important part, because without them I wouldn't need a binder in the first place. The manufacturer I originally contacted doesn't make protective flaps anymore (I don't understand why. They say they use a different film makes it impossible), so what I have is what I get until I find somebody else to make them.

However, if you do find somebody to make the sleeves, you should try to have a friend go in with you. They get cheaper the more you have made and are quite expensive at first. When I bought 50 sleeves (25 for me, 25 for my friend) it came down to only $10 a sleeve. But had I just bought the 25 for myself, it would have been something like $15.

So either buy a ton or split it with a friend.

Edit: If you're looking to make your own, I should probably share with you everything I learned through trial and error.

1. Don't overestimate how thick the binder should be. Fifty posters in a pile is barely an inch. My original design was spineless - more like a notepad - and I intended to have pieces of plywood threaded onto 5" loose-leaf screw-lock rings. Obviously, the rings were enormous and completely impractical. My rings are only 2" and they're still bigger than I need them to be. Even if I had 100 posters, I wouldn't need anything thicker than 2" rings.

2. I pulled my binder spines from "heavy-duty" Avery binders. Normal binder rings are perfectly round, while these are D-Rings, and the "normal" ones don't hold the weight of the sleeves well. To keep your posters secure and prevent them from moving around, you'll almost certainly need the "heavy-duty rings".

3. Don't use plywood. Plywood isn't thick enough. The hinges on the binder tab need a feasibly long screw to secure the connection, and no screw long enough is short enough for plywood. The oak panels I chose are heavy, but still make for a perfectly mobile binder, and are what I should have just done in the first place. It stands strong on its own two legs and I don't have to worry about it warping in the humidity. I tried three different kinds of plywood of varying thickness and strength, but you really need something at least half an inch thick.

For the hinges, use T-Hinges.

Also, obviously, don't use pressure-treated wood. The chemicals will leech and damage your posters.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:45:58 PM by Disheveledamethyst »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »
Nice labour of love Anthony!

I have a binder for my title cards but of course I did not build it...
Chris

guest8

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »
Thats brilliant !! I want to steal it as well .. TELL US WHERE YOU GOT THE SLEEVES BEFORE WE RIOT !!!!

EDIT:::

I see now you are withholding the info .. thats very very selfish !!! :P

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
Thats brilliant !! I want to steal it as well .. TELL US WHERE YOU GOT THE SLEEVES BEFORE WE RIOT !!!!

YOU'll HAVE TO KILL ME

In all seriousness, I'm having some smaller sleeves made for my B2s and then they might never make them again. I have to be sure I get my last batch, and then I'll post where I got it. Honestly though, I don't like them. They take months to get back to you, have terrible customer service, and then the sleeves themselves take more than a month to have made. I don't know if they're a small-time operation that's overwhelmed with orders or what, but if you can find another business, I'd tell you to go anywhere else first.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
I don't think staining would be a good idea.  I have no doubt that there must be some chemical in the stain that would affect the posters, even if sheathed in mylar.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »
I don't think staining would be a good idea.  I have no doubt that there must be some chemical in the stain that would affect the posters, even if sheathed in mylar.

I'd have to look into that for certain, but it's still my intention. If I can't find a stain that's not malicious then I'll find something more neutral.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
I'd have to look into that for certain, but it's still my intention. If I can't find a stain that's not malicious then I'll find something more neutral.

Use a stain but then put some form of inert buffer on the inside?
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »
Looks great Anthony! happy1
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »
Use a stain but then put some form of inert buffer on the inside?

Certainly possible, I could just screw some big cuts of matteboard to the inside covers.

Charlie

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »
I don't think staining would be a good idea.  I have no doubt that there must be some chemical in the stain that would affect the posters, even if sheathed in mylar.
Yeah mineral spirits and mylar don't mix...

Water based stain and acrylic finish; try any woodworking shop (not home depot or lowes)...

http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?srch=usr&filter=water+based&submit.x=0&submit.y=0
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:49:50 PM by Charlie »

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 08:40:16 AM »
Very cool Anthony! 
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 12:58:17 PM »
I think your main problems will be something that could A) act as a solvent during the painting/curing stage or B) something that might leach VOCs/acid after it is dry.

You could always try to use a no-VOC paint (all Olympic paints from Lowes are no-VOC. Then just line the insides of your book with acid free paper. Or if you use a noxious material (like plywood) or paint, there is something called ASM SafeCoat which seals in fumes.

Very cool idea by the way, I might be stealing it as well!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »
Now, that is one fine idea realized.
Way to go, Anthony.
 thumbup

Charlie

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »
I think your main problems will be something that could A) act as a solvent during the painting/curing stage or B) something that might leach VOCs/acid after it is dry.

You could always try to use a no-VOC paint (all Olympic paints from Lowes are no-VOC. Then just line the insides of your book with acid free paper. Or if you use a noxious material (like plywood) or paint, there is something called ASM SafeCoat which seals in fumes.

Very cool idea by the way, I might be stealing it as well!

The Water-Based Acrylic finish from Rockler is Low VOC and Acid Free (~PH 7 or greater)  This is what I used on my poster cabinet; you should be fine....  Plus it would have to penetrate the mylar...

http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000449AA.pdf

Pic of cabinet; water based stain/acrylic finish.  I went through this whole stain selection process when I built it....

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 11:08:49 PM »
The Water-Based Acrylic finish from Rockler is Low VOC and Acid Free (~PH 7 or greater)  This is what I used on my poster cabinet; you should be fine....  Plus it would have to penetrate the mylar...

http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000449AA.pdf

Pic of cabinet; water based stain/acrylic finish.  I went through this whole stain selection process when I built it....

That's excellent, thank you Charlie!

Gimpy

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 01:24:40 AM »
What an exceptionally great idea! *steals blueprints with an evil grin*

Well done!

Also Charlie, clicked on your sig and I'm totally jealous of your Birthday Girl posters! nummy Nicole :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:27:03 AM by Gimpy »

Charlie

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 10:21:58 AM »
Also Charlie, clicked on your sig and I'm totally jealous of your Birthday Girl posters! nummy Nicole :)

Yeah, the Aussie one sheet version is much better than the regular US.  She's waiting for you...   jawdrop

Nope! Sorries, she's mine.  :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:22:31 AM by Charlie »

Der Januskopf

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
What did you use to make your poster "binder?" It looks like 1/2" plywood?

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 09:19:15 PM »
What did you use to make your poster "binder?" It looks like 1/2" plywood?

Yeah, they're half inch oak boards. Had them cut down from 4x8s.