Author Topic: WANTED: Back to the Future, The Goonies, My Neighbor Totoro One Sheets  (Read 6047 times)

Hahaajp

Hi all,

I'm new here but have been a member over at expresso beans and other art related forums for a few years now. I'm mainly looking for rolled (any version) original one sheets of Back to the Future, The Goonies, & My Neighbor Totoro B1. I love Drew Struzan's art so I will probably be looking for more of his movie posters down the line but for now I'm hoping to pick up the ones listed above for a decent price. Please PM with any offers, thanks!

Cece
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:53:16 AM by Hahaajp »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
 welcome1 to APF, Cece.
If no members come forward with the posters you are looking for, I'll bet Bruce (emovieposter.com) or Rich (movieposterbid.com) will have them in one or more of their upcoming rolled poster auction events. 
Best of luck!

Disheveledamethyst

I'm also looking for the Totoro B1. My advice? Don't pay more than $200. Whenever the pop up on eBay they usually land around $150-$180. But if I come across one, I'll be sure to tip you.

Welcome aboard!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Welcome to the forum, Cece.

I hope you can find what you're looking for.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Hahaajp

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Hopefully my patience will pay off. I really appreciate the advice. :)

Disheveledamethyst

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Hopefully my patience will pay off. I really appreciate the advice. :)

Patience will almost always pay off. You'll hear so many stories about how people have been chasing certain pieces for months, or years, and they're not necessarily the rarest posters either. People like Thierry and me usually have a strict budget in mind, and the one's we're after will come and go for prices higher than we're willing to pay.

But I'll tell you, the posters I got a deal on are the ones that bring me the most satisfaction. It feels more like something I earned rather than something I bought. If you're willing to wait, you'll always get what you want.

If you're like Mel and found a way to grow money out of an enchanted windowbox, you sometimes have the luxury of buying something special regardless of the pricetag, which is fine too. But chances are, if the pricetag is that high, you would really benefit from some time to think about it. There've been posters I "have to have" that cost too much and I've been on the verge of dropping too much money to get one. But after a couple of weeks, or months, of trying to find it, I realize that the appeal has diminished and no longer want it.

So, in both ways, patience pays off.

Hahaajp

So while I'm looking for these, is there a way to authenticate these? I know there's a link somewhere that shows all the details of the BTTF but I'm not sure what to look for when it comes to The Goonies & My Neighbor Totoro (bus stop version). Any suggestions?

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Patience will almost always pay off. You'll hear so many stories about how people have been chasing certain pieces for months, or years, and they're not necessarily the rarest posters either. People like Thierry and me usually have a strict budget in mind, and the one's we're after will come and go for prices higher than we're willing to pay.

Ah, you have learned well, grasshopper.

Just a few short weeks ago it seems, you were on the other end of this discussion.
-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
So while I'm looking for these, is there a way to authenticate these? I know there's a link somewhere that shows all the details of the BTTF but I'm not sure what to look for when it comes to The Goonies & My Neighbor Totoro (bus stop version). Any suggestions?

Well, with the rumored rolled fakes on the Thing that you need NASA to determine they are fakes, anything rolled from the 80's now got scary.

I still think if the only way you can tell is to have the damn paper forensically tested they were run off the original plates via direct studio buy, so good luck.

Formally if your posters were full sized on Goonies and BTTF you were fine (27x41).

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Well, with the rumored rolled fakes on the Thing that you need NASA to determine they are fakes, anything rolled from the 80's now got scary.

I still think if the only way you can tell is to have the damn paper forensically tested they were run off the original plates via direct studio buy, so good luck.

Formally if your posters were full sized on Goonies and BTTF you were fine (27x41).

If I am reading the threads right, this may not even be possible for newer material.  They were relying on changes in paper chemistry in the early '90s, so anything later will not be able to use that method for authentication.

I suspect it won't be long now, if it hasn't already happened, where someone will be producing fakes that are undetectable. 
-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: WANTED: Back to the Future, The Goonies, My Neighbor Totoro One Sheets
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
There is a difference here though. I can go buy a 10K scanner and 5K dollar printer and print full sized movie posters that would look beautiful. But, those digital copies can be spotted pretty quickly by just about anyone that looks close enough and usually the paper is going to give it away.

Where the issue is at, is when someone has had access to the industrial printing process, then you are screwed.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
If you're like Mel and found a way to grow money out of an enchanted windowbox, you sometimes have the luxury of buying something special regardless of the pricetag, which is fine too. B

That allegation is reality-deficient, youngster! I'm not rich - far from it! - and the pricetag is very important to me, so I rarely overpay.  Before buying a poster, I always check the Heritage and Emovie archives for historical prices and always check current Ebay and dealer listings.  If I ever resell, what's going to kill me are the hundreds of posters I bought for $10-$20 each, plus postage.  Since I'll have to consign everything, I'll recover pennies on the dollar on the low value stuff I bought.  For the high value stuff I'll recover most of what I paid, after commissions.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »
Pretty sure you guys have come across this one already. Not sure if this is a good one since the seller only has 3 feedbacks. (The price is fair and intriguingly, it seems the seller was just following Anthony's price suggestion). The measures seem correct and I believe there are very few/none fakes if it measures right.

Actually, there has been some investigation of a fake Totoro B1. This would be good for you to read: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,804.0.html

Hahaajp

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 03:50:53 AM »
Hmm, interesting read about the Totoro B1, thanks for that! Now I know a little more about what to look out for. If I ever come across one that's questionable I'll make sure to post it first. Thanks guys!