Author Topic: Why Un-Sleeved Posters Light Up My Switchboard  (Read 11349 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Why Un-Sleeved Posters Light Up My Switchboard
« on: January 15, 2010, 08:49:18 AM »
Every time I purchase on Ebay, I politely (and I think that is important) ask the 'dealer' to sleeve or collar the rolled poster so that it cannot expand to hug the interior of the tube.  I have had several posters ruined by the gorillas at USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc., because the poster was flush with the tube and reflected every ding 'n dent.

When I ship (and excuse me if anyone found one of my ape's long black hairs on their shipping label), I roll the poster -- not too tightly -- and wrap a sheet of strong paper around it so that it has plenty of room in the tube.  If the tube takes a hit, the poster has room to survive.  Kinda like Ali's rope-a-dope.

Some poster sellers have thanked me for the tip and have adopted it for other sales.  There is some hope on Ebay...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Why Un-Sleeved Posters Light Up My Switchboard
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »
Great topic Brude.  I have  40 or so posters that were ruined for exactly that reason - which I'm eventually going to give away - which has led to many fights and Paypal disputes with Ebay sellers. 

However, I'm not sure I want the posters bouncing around in the tube, so I just insist that the seller send the posters in a "strong tube that cannot be crushed with one hand."  I've only received one or two strong tubes - out of the 100+ I've received - that were dented in transit.  The dented ones were relatively weak and the seller was either ignorant or trying to be cheap.

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
This is the number one thing that pisses me off more than anything in this hobby, because there is just no sense in it at all. I don't like fake posters either but poor shipping pisses me off more than anything. Especially when I pay 10 dollars or more and they poster in a tube that I can crush with just a little pressure in my hand.

PVC pipe is the best and the poster can hug the walls of it without worry. I find too, that often times in some foreign countries, they use tubes that are small to begin with and then they roll the poster so tight so that it doesn't hug the walls. This is a biatch to get unrolled and flattened without damage to the poster. I'm talking a roll so tight that Bic pen couldn't drop down the middle of it.

Chad

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
Thats why I use PVC pipe myself.  You can almost take a swing at a telephone pole and the poster still wont take any damage.  You definitely dont want a naked poster in a PVC tube though because those things are dirty as hell when I get them from the store.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
You definitely dont want a naked poster in a PVC tube though because those things are dirty as hell when I get them from the store.

Yes they are. I wash all mine out real good. But using sleeves are a good idea. You can drive a car over many of the good quality PVC pipes without any damage other than scuffing up the out edge. I have a lot of my posters sealed away in big PVC pipes that are waterproof sealed. I tested it out to check to see and it works great. So if I ever have a flood in the place, my good posters are saved and my others will F'd.

I have my Alamo's in a conservation flat file box.

Chad

sergmark

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »
Every time I purchase on Ebay, I politely (and I think that is important) ask the 'dealer' to sleeve or collar the rolled poster so that it cannot expand to hug the interior of the tube.  I have had several posters ruined by the gorillas at USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc., because the poster was flush with the tube and reflected every ding 'n dent.

When I ship (and excuse me if anyone found one of my ape's long black hairs on their shipping label), I roll the poster -- not too tightly -- and wrap a sheet of strong paper around it so that it has plenty of room in the tube.  If the tube takes a hit, the poster has room to survive.  Kinda like Ali's rope-a-dope.

Some poster sellers have thanked me for the tip and have adopted it for other sales.  There is some hope on Ebay...
Ted,
 Thanks for the EXRTA care in the wrapping. The poster tube did take a hit. But the posters were unharmed. It must have had a hard hit, almost went through !! Thanks again. ( I didn't notice any unusual hair)... 8)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:01 PM »
Well I am glad they got through all right.  Thanks, Steve. It just illustrates how important the sleeve is.  Saves a lot of heartache.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »
I have a lot of my posters sealed away in big PVC pipes that are waterproof sealed.
Chad

Hi Chad, I suggest not storing posters in PVC. Here is a comment I have previously left on MPF:

Definately don't store posters in PVC. Ok for shipping but that is all.
PVC is acidic. Hydrogen chloride, a corrosive, acidic gas, is produced by deteriorating PVC.
I store my vintage posters in Polyethylene tubes and sleeves. HDPE or LDPE, is a food grade product, which means nothing harmful comes out of it.

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/packaginghowto.htm

we buy a lot from other dealers and auction houses........and some of them STILL put posters loosely in the tube and let them expand.

and these are people who are not newbies and who have been in the hobby a long time.

total carelessness imo.

from our link above (sorry the pictures won't post here):

● DO NOT JUST PLACE THE POSTER LOOSELY IN THE TUBE. REPEAT! DO NOT JUST PLACE THE POSTER LOOSELY IN THE TUBE! This can not be stressed enough. Damage to the poster will definitely occur if you are careless and just put the poster in the tube loosely.

1. It makes it very hard to get it out.

2. The edges are unprotected as it slides up and down causing dings.

3. If the tube gets dented then it will cause dings all up and down the poster.

THE WRONG WAY    THE RIGHT WAY

● Protect the ends/edges of the poster from getting damaged by using cushioning material like bubble wrap, a paper towel, tissue paper, plastic bags from the grocery store, etc.. This is an extremely important step that many people forget.

● Use plastic or cardboard end caps on the tube and tape them closed to the tube. Do not just place tape over the ends of the tube without using some form of end cap.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Dave.  Do you mind if I use it by referring independent Ebay poster sellers to your link?
Ted

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »

mmmmmm.....ok, just send me a nickel every time you do ;)

sergmark

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »
Hello.
I just wanted to post some photos of a damaged tube I received. I can stand on this and I'm 145 LBS. The Bond posters were unharmed. ;D

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 09:23:49 PM »
What did they do, back over it with a forklift!?

sergmark

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:22:19 PM »
I was wondering with the black skid marks. I'm wondering how the heck they treat our mail. I ordered a copy of another poster and the tube was worse The poster did't fair to good. out... :o :o

the-jace

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
I totally concur!

Just got a $60 poster in the mail. No sleeve, no padding on either end, totally wrecked.

What is wrong with these sellers?! ARGH

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
I feel your pain...I just had two bargains -- properly sleeved as I asked -- destroyed because the seller used a tube you can crush with one hand.  Aaaaarggh is right.

guest8

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
I just bought a poster from ebay seller .. daddyj820 .. and below is the resolution center chat .. (read from bottom to the top)

Thankfully I did get a refund .. I escalated at 7:07pm and had the refund by 7:09pm.. WAY TO GO EBAY!!

But STAY AWAY FROM daddyj820 !!!

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:07 PM   You have escalated the case to eBay Customer Support.
Your message to eBay Customer Support:
"Seller refuses to accept responsibility for poor packaging and is unwilling to work anything out. So at this point I see no other option than to escalate this case and ask for a full refund. "

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:57 AM   You have responded to the seller.
Your message to the seller:
"A good 'rule-of-thumb' when buying a tube for shipping a poster, if you can crush the tube by just squeezing it with one hand .. Its too flimsy. "

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:19 PM   The seller has responded to your case with other solution.
Seller's message:
"Auction clearly states no returns accepted. I went to UPS store and bought a tube to ship it in after I checked the post office and office max and made several phone calls. Mint poster was shipped in a UPS store tube. The tube cost me $3.49 plus $5.15 to ship. Buyer only paid $6.00 and did not request insurance or offer more to cover potential damages. "

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM   You have responded to the seller.
Your message to the seller:
"From your comments I'm sure I will have to escalate this to a claim. But, just because you claim to have sent a "mint" poster doesnt mean that eBay or paypal will decide in your favor. I will return the poster and ebay or paypal will refund the full amount including original shipping .. I was just hoping we could be civil about this seeing as it wasnt anyone's fault .. But times like now are why they have eBay buyer protection. "

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:02 PM   The seller has responded to your case with other solution.
Seller's message:
"You bought a mint poster, I shipped a mint poster. Insurance was not offered or discussed. Item was only 9.99 so you were taking a chance at that point. I am not responsable for what the post office does."

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM   eBay Customer Support has opened a case for you.The seller has 7 days to respond.
Details you provided:
The item doesn't match the seller's description.
You have tried contacting the seller
You paid on Aug 06, 2010
You contacted the seller through eBay Messages
The seller has responded to you
The seller isn't working with you to solve the problem
The buyer said the item is damaged
Additional information:
"I emailed the seller about the flimsy tube being damaged in shipping and the seller responded back by going on about how their items werent selling as expected and it was costing them more money than they had originally invested and that "I know that is not your fault but insurance was not offered or discussed." So after that comment I felt more communication would have been a waste of mine and the sellers time. "

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 12:39:54 PM »
Good for you.  I didn't realize that an uninsured purchase could result in a refund through Ebay/PayPal.  I have had good communication so far and have sent the seller pics as he requested.  My assumption was that I would have to eat it because no insurance was offered.
I already told him that the tube was too flimsy to ship posters in.
I will follow your lead, fallen, and let you know what happens.
Thanks, man.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 02:02:46 PM »
Good for you.  I didn't realize that an uninsured purchase could result in a refund through Ebay/PayPal.  I have had good communication so far and have sent the seller pics as he requested.  My assumption was that I would have to eat it because no insurance was offered.
Thanks, man.

Also hit him with negative feedback.  Normally that makes them much more willing to give a full refund (including shipping) if you agree to withdraw the neg.

guest8

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
Thanks, man.

Honestly .. A seller should always insure it .. It doesnt protect the buyer .. It protects the seller .. Because what would stop someone from posting a stock photo of a poster and then sending out a beat up, dinged/damaged poster and stating that it must have happened during shipping .. or passing along a poster they bought that was damaged during shipping .. to try and recoup money that they lost buying it .. The only thing I dont like about ebay is all the time restrictions .. You have to wait so long to open the claim .. then you have to wait 7 days to escalate the claim and in my case it was OBVIOUS that the seller wasnt going to work with me .. Thankfully when it did escalate ebay had refunded me within a few mins. !!

the-jace

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
Another poster destroyed today due to the seller not sleeving it, despite me sending not one, but two emails requesting he do so. Not only is this poster tough to locate, it's the second one I've had destroyed in this manner. I told the guy to give me a solution by 5PM or expect neg FB and a paypal claim. Sooooo pissed right now.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 11:46:13 AM »
Don't get pissed....get even...