Author Topic: Black Swan: Two versions of White Swan Poster  (Read 5991 times)

Charlie

Black Swan: Two versions of White Swan Poster
« on: November 06, 2011, 04:32:35 PM »
Found this today.  There are two version of images (not necessarily posters - yet) of the white swan advance. 

Anyone seen this alternate version in real life (left) compared to the common regular advance (right)? 

The image is altered (blurred) and it says December vs. This Fall.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Black Swan: Two versions of White Swan Poster
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »
Damn Charlie, I thought you were cured...  eyeroll
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »

laugh1

Charlie

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »

Thought I had them all...Just want to make sure I didn't miss one.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »
There is no cure.

The poster on the left does look like a distorted or blown up version of the one on the right.

Charlie

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 05:48:30 PM »
laugh1

I have to chuckle myself.  Hadn't thought about BS in a while until I found a DVD/Blu-Ray poster I didn't have yet today.  But it was mainly caused by me completely overhauling my website in term of data retrieval...

I am trying to make my poster site more dynamic through developing databases/tables and querying poster information.  I've divided it up into three tables: Movie Info, Poster Info, and Item Info

The Movie Info will just detail out the movie; Title, Year, Director, Actor, Plot

The Poster Info table will detail out individual posters as a stock example

The Item Info table will detail out each specific poster in my collection

These tables can then be called upon to develop html code.  So I can develop say blackswan.php and dynamically call all the black swan posters I have in the Item Info table and append data from both the Poster_Info and Movie_Info table to complete a html formatted list dynamically.  Then all I would have to do is update my Item_info table when I get new posters.  This will also work to search my collection by a number of variables; title, actor, director, artist, year, etc.

I was developing the Poster Info Table and entering my Black Swans when I ran into the other photo on IMPAwards...

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
I tried to endure Ashton Kucher's douchebaggery last night during No Strings Attached for Natalie Portman.  I could not do it.  She seems smart and pretty it is upsetting that she bore the child of a ballet dancer. Oh well...are these two allegedly originalor is one a bootleg?

Conor
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 06:45:58 PM »
I have to chuckle myself.  Hadn't thought about BS in a while until I found a DVD/Blu-Ray poster I didn't have yet today.  But it was mainly caused by me completely overhauling my website in term of data retrieval...

I am trying to make my poster site more dynamic through developing databases/tables and querying poster information.  I've divided it up into three tables: Movie Info, Poster Info, and Item Info

The Movie Info will just detail out the movie; Title, Year, Director, Actor, Plot

The Poster Info table will detail out individual posters as a stock example

The Item Info table will detail out each specific poster in my collection

These tables can then be called upon to develop html code.  So I can develop say blackswan.php and dynamically call all the black swan posters I have in the Item Info table and append data from both the Poster_Info and Movie_Info table to complete a html formatted list dynamically.  Then all I would have to do is update my Item_info table when I get new posters.  This will also work to search my collection by a number of variables; title, actor, director, artist, year, etc.

I was developing the Poster Info Table and entering my Black Swans when I ran into the other photo on IMPAwards...

Now that's what I would call an industrious collector.
I didn't think your bitchin' website could get any cooler.
Keep at it, Charlie!

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:05:32 AM »
I was walking to work the other week and took this snap on my phone of a black swan on the river - it made me think of you Charlie, ha ha!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:07:08 AM by Tob »

Charlie

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
Found this today.  There are two version of images (not necessarily posters - yet) of the white swan advance. 

Anyone seen this alternate version in real life (left) compared to the common regular advance (right)? 

Dale? oooh Dale...  Have you seen the December version?  Thanks.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »
Didnt get any double sided Black Swans in that style unfortunately. I had a few single sided, and they were all the This Fall text.

Charlie

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
Didnt get any double sided Black Swans in that style unfortunately. I had a few single sided, and they were all the This Fall text.

Yeah, I haven't seen it either, but figure if anyone had it would have been you.  Do you think that there could have been just an internet campaign with this version.  I've only see 11x17 repros and most of the electronic images are on pre-release media statements/blogs etc....  Even the premier has the the "This Fall" image:

agentprovocateur

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
I've been trying to do some research on poster variations for various films and find the IMPAwards listings very confusing. One of the films I'm looking at has two names which causes a f*****g nightmare when getting to grips with all the variations!

Their website doesn't differentiate between artwork designed by the film company and posters actually printed, pretty much like the MovieposterDB. Don't both sites just upload any official designs supplied to their sites whether they're printed or not?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:50:57 PM by agentprovocateur »

agentprovocateur

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
Having had a quick look at both designs there seems to be a lot more photoshoping going on than meets the eye!

In the left (blurred) version look how the sides of the neck is pretty much straight down without the shadow under her chin...

Then in the right (printed) version the sides of the neck are much more slopey (is that a word!), there also seems to be different muscle tone compared to the blurred version as well as the shadow under the chin.

Looking at Natalie standing in front of the poster isn't her neck much wider than on the two posters? We could even have a neck transplant situation on both, could the executives have said her neck's too wide can we photoshop her head on a slimmer neck!?

Charlie

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »
Maybe a pre-movie photo shoot and post/during movie photo shoot...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »
The hairline differences are also pretty freaky.
You should contact the Bemis Balkind ad agency and ask what the dealio is with these two posters.
They have a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bemisbalkind
You never know...If you stroke 'em right, they just might send you a copy of the blurred version -- gratis.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 08:57:29 PM »
I still want to know if this "advance international" (??) was ever distributed:

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 08:50:43 AM »
I still want to know if this "advance international" (??) was ever distributed:

Mel this is a Japanese B3 with English Titles.... 

Gimpy

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 01:54:41 AM »
Having had a quick look at both designs there seems to be a lot more photoshoping going on than meets the eye!

In the left (blurred) version look how the sides of the neck is pretty much straight down without the shadow under her chin...

Then in the right (printed) version the sides of the neck are much more slopey (is that a word!), there also seems to be different muscle tone compared to the blurred version as well as the shadow under the chin.

Looking at Natalie standing in front of the poster isn't her neck much wider than on the two posters? We could even have a neck transplant situation on both, could the executives have said her neck's too wide can we photoshop her head on a slimmer neck!?

Natalie's neck is perfect  :D As is the rest of her  :D ;D ;) :)

I know she's engaged, but that's only because she hasn't met me yet!

You know the quote... "She will be mine. Oh yes. She will be mine."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:55:07 AM by Gimpy »

Charlie

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 05:01:24 PM »

I saw a guest checking this out and took another look.  You can clearly see that the makeup is different on the 'December' version with the eye make up wider at the tale.  Also there is a natural shadow on the 'Fall" version under her chin.  Definitely different necks as mentioned before. Ears are bigger on the 'December'... I am starting to think stand-in...  Forehead is bigger.  I might have to do a transparency overlay tonight when I get home...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »
I saw a guest checking this out and took another look.  You can clearly see that the makeup is different on the 'December' version with the eye make up wider at the tale.  Also there is a natural shadow on the 'Fall" version under her chin.  Definitely different necks as mentioned before. Ears are bigger on the 'December'... I am starting to think stand-in...  Forehead is bigger.  I might have to do a transparency overlay tonight when I get home...

I dont think it is a stand-in. It looks to be Portman in both shots. The makeup, tho, is slightly different, as you mentioned. But look at the shape of the lips and the tips of the ears and nose. They all look identical.

The other thing that caught my eye was the placement of the crown in the December shot. Not only does it appear further forward (less hair showing between her hairline and the edge of the crown), but the crown also appears crooked in the Dec shot, veering more to the right.
The top of the Fall crown has also been cropped, compared to the other, as well.

Re her neck: there was certainly some photshop manipulation going on in one of the 2 (or maybe both to a degree).

I also wonder why they went with a more faint red red iris in the Fall shot. The deeper red works better, IMO, (as does her looking slightly left of camera). :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:22:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff