Author Topic: Harry Potter recalled poster  (Read 1819 times)

Gimpy

Harry Potter recalled poster
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:46:27 AM »
Hey guys, just curious to hear what you've got to say given past experiences in the poster world. The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 poster that was originally released advertising 3D (that they didn't complete in time for the film's release)....this one:

That was was recalled supposedly. Do you think it would hold value more so than the re-released version...as it wasn't so much a misprinted than a recalled poster. Or does that matter with posters? I was thinking of buying either that one or the re-released one, I may end up getting both just wanted to hear if anyone had any opinions on it.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Harry Potter recalled poster
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:29:24 AM »
It was not recalled, there was a new poster printed up within a week or so to replace it, the first was distributed in equal amounts as the replacement poster. Based on pure numbers, one should not be worth any more than the other.

treegate

Re: Harry Potter recalled poster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:33:45 PM »
It was not recalled, there was a new poster printed up within a week or so to replace it, the first was distributed in equal amounts as the replacement poster. Based on pure numbers, one should not be worth any more than the other.

The poster was printed up and distributed to theaters the first week of October 2010, a week after they were shipped out, Warner Brothers announced that Part 1 would not be in 3D. Because of this, I was told that theaters were asked to take the poster down because it was promoting the film to be shown in 3D and that simply wasn't going to be the case. The final style quickly came out about two weeks later to theaters with no mention of the 3D tag line, but the credits were added to it which was to be expected. For Part 2, the studio did something similiar, they had put out what appeared to be a 2nd advance for the film, but since the release was rapidly approaching, it was odd that there was no final style, and then about ten days before the film opened, a final style was printed up and distributed to theaters which featured the same artwork as the 2nd advance, but with the credits added as well.

It was odd to see WB releasing final styles that had the same artwork as the advance styles, while it has been done before by other studios, it was just odd seeing films like Sucker Punch, and Harry Potter not having different final styles. The marketing on Green Lantern was even more odd, with only one poster being done for the film.