Author Topic: Record LP collections  (Read 28833 times)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
Re: Record LP collections
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 02:57:40 AM »
Yeah but where is the Nana freakn Mouskouri? Bring out the good stuff!
David

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 02:58:58 AM »
That is a-lot Ari

You have large collections... You must have the biggest: record collection, VHS cassette tape collection, Hammer poster collection, dead rodent collection... did I miss anything else?...

Business cards from Chinese restaurants for one.

Yeah but where is the Nana freakn Mouskouri? Bring out the good stuff!

Haha I haven't started that yet, that could turn ugly.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
I haven't been buying records based on the covers alone, but these were cheap and as a Marisa Mell fan I couldn't pass on it, the other is Edwige Fenech another well know actress in Italian cinema.  If the music ends up being good that will be a bonus.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
Wow... what a beautiful photo of Lamour! That could have been a OS poster shot!!

happy1

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 08:55:31 PM »
Love the reggae vibes Ari!  But how did NWA sneak in there?   :o
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:21 PM »
I don't know, I used to listen to public enemy as a teenager, and to be honest I didn't think I liked NWA much, but must have seen it cheap at some stage or something,
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »
I'm really into French stuff lately (Bardot, Birkin, Gainsbourg, Paradis) but have managed to complete my Amy Winehouse conversion from CD to Vinyl.  She's really got a great voice for vinyl.

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »
I'm really into French stuff lately (Bardot, Birkin, Gainsbourg, Paradis) but have managed to complete my Amy Winehouse conversion from CD to Vinyl.  She's really got a great voice for vinyl.

If you are liking a little French, and also LPs then see if you can hunt down stuff by Francoise Hardy. I have an LP produced in Australia circa 1965 "This is Francoise Hardy", one side French one side English which I play about once a month, mostly on a Sunday morning 'cause it seems to be that sort of sound...

Hardy was somewhat of a fashion icon, as well as a singer, typically 60's cute and IMHO worth having a crush on... ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ICFtXx546A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2ICFtXx546A</a>
David

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 06:10:53 PM »
If you are liking a little French, and also LPs then see if you can hunt down stuff by Francoise Hardy. I have an LP produced in Australia circa 1965 "This is Francoise Hardy", one side French one side English which I play about once a month, mostly on a Sunday morning 'cause it seems to be that sort of sound...

Hardy was somewhat of a fashion icon, as well as a singer, typically 60's cute and IMHO worth having a crush on... ;)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ICFtXx546A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2ICFtXx546A</a>

Cool, I'll add her to my list and check some of her stuff out.  Looks like she released A LOT of albums, which is good and bad.  Good in the sense there's a lot of music, bad though because these original pressings for 60's and 70's French artist are pricey, even before the shipping.

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 07:34:04 PM »
Picked up some great 80's pop from my record store today.  Discount albums were only 10 cents! (Bought 15 records for $1.50 try to do that on iTunes!)

Picked up a couple Sheena Easton albums I was missing, and some Stacey Q singles.

80's ruled in terms of pop music, today just can't compare and I was a teenager in the 90's and don't remember much in the way of good pop music. Course I guess that even makes me old now.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dcAJ9siMseA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dcAJ9siMseA</a>
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:42:21 PM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
Picked up some great 80's pop from my record store today.  Discount albums were only 10 cents! (Bought 15 records for $1.50 try to do that on iTunes!)

10c is a great deal on 80s pop...wd
David

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 11:29:37 PM »
I hated and still do 80s pop music, well most of it, the thing is now you look back and people remember and we still hear a very small % of the "best" of it.
At the time it's was mainly torture.
In ten years your 90s stuff will have been culled and add some nostalgia and everyone will rave about how great it was.
Well that's I reckon anyways.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »
In ten years your 90s stuff will have been culled and add some nostalgia and everyone will rave about how great it was.

It's called reminiscing...old people do it a lot.
David

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2013, 12:22:25 AM »
Well if you're not into pop I can see where you're coming from.  I'm pretty much a fan of all types of music except country and rap.  As a whole the 80's were a pretty stellar time in the music business.  Michael Jackson's Thriller (somewhat pop, best selling record), Bad, Madonna (as much as I don't care for her) put out some pretty good stuff in the 80's, I could go on and on.  Plus 80's rock was killer too, I've come across A LOT of 80's rock bands I never knew existed that have some pretty good stuff.  

I've been selling off my CD collection and most of it is 90's-2000's stuff which I don't plan on buying again on vinyl, instead I've been going 80's and older and International.  Most of the 90's and newer stuff began to bore me, that's why I stopped buying music a few years back, and why I haven't listened to my CD's in forever.  I'd be hard pressed to name as many good artists in another decade older or newer, and while I was born in the mid 80's I didn't listen to any of this stuff so it's not reminiscing for me.  If I was into New Kids On the Block (cringe) then maybe.  My decade of teen hood is boy bands and synthesized pop princesses and gangster rap, I have a hard time believing that's going to hold up as well as stuff from the 80's and the old Jazz singers of the 50's-70's have.  You have to admit the quality of music has greatly tanked in the last couple of decades, we may disagree when that started and why, but it's happened to some degree.  And I know it's partially a generation thing, most generations don't like their parents stuff and my generation won't appreciate the new generation of stuff, but in my case I actually appreciate the music I wasn't initially alive to experience first hand than the stuff I grew up with, so maybe that just makes me odd, which I'm cool with, I've never been much of a trend follower, and I tend to be interested more stuff of the eras I wasn't apart of.  So if I'm lucky enough to live to 50 or older I'll reminisce about how mostly crappy the music was in the 90's...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:03:44 AM by TheAnswerMVP2001 »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:10 AM »
It's called reminiscing...old people do it a lot.

This is rubbish,  back in the old days, I would...........Oh, I see what you mean.. eyeroll
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2013, 08:51:29 AM »
And whilst in the record section found this with the lovely Miss Munro on the cover...  Shame about the songs.. ;)

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »
And whilst in the record section found this with the lovely Miss Munro on the cover...  Shame about the songs.. ;)

Wha? Back Off Boogaloo...classic!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BXg1AxBXN5g" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BXg1AxBXN5g</a>
David

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2013, 12:35:45 AM »
AGREED!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:32 AM »
One song out of 12 don't make a good album....  well there Maybe two out of 12 on there, but it has Caroline on the back and front, so it is the greatest album ever.. :D

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 12:02:55 PM »
Yeah I'd buy it for the cover, don't believe I'd ever listen to it, well I guess once.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »
One song out of 12 don't make a good album....  well there Maybe two out of 12 on there, but it has Caroline on the back and front, so it is the greatest album ever.. :D

No argument from me... :D

Song about her by her ex...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/G7Pq9bcJgvw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/G7Pq9bcJgvw</a>
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:15:09 PM by Silhouette »
David

Steven11788

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
have a lot more but Micheals  no longer carries the double frame, use to be buy one get one free or buy one get other half off. my Satan music lol

Also my autographed cd collection, I have tons more but running out of room, :)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:31:19 PM by Steven11788 »

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
What's the deal with Turkish records?  I came across some Turkish funk I really like but almost every LP is $50 to $100 and some over $200! Are they pressed out of gold or something?  And most of these are for "unknown artists", and when I say unknown I mean the guy selling them in Turkey doesn't even know who they are!

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
What's the deal with Turkish records?  I came across some Turkish funk I really like but almost every LP is $50 to $100 and some over $200! Are they pressed out of gold or something?  And most of these are for "unknown artists", and when I say unknown I mean the guy selling them in Turkey doesn't even know who they are!

It is quite clear that they have dissolved cocaine in them and they are being smuggled across the border