Author Topic: OK, I have to ask.. Window Cards on really heavy cardstock, is it normal?  (Read 9063 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: OK, I have to ask.. Window Cards on really heavy cardstock, is it normal?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »
Congratulations on the WC! 

But that sure seems like an odd restoration job - especially on something so iconic.  Maybe the whole upper white area was added back on - i.e. it has been trimmed as on so many WC's?

Yet another example/argument for why restorers should document their work in some way which travels with the poster!
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 07:25:15 PM »
Congratulations on the WC! 

But that sure seems like an odd restoration job - especially on something so iconic.  Maybe the whole upper white area was added back on - i.e. it has been trimmed as on so many WC's?

Yet another example/argument for why restorers should document their work in some way which travels with the poster!

Thanks Chris, agree with you. For all that it is worth, my view is that when you buy vintage posters, there should be a proper description of the restoration the poster had if any, including the name of the restorer. This one had a short description, which perhaps is more than enough. Arguably,  I did not question at the time if anything else had been  done nor how or by whom, or when or wtf (do please excuse me)

I really haven't got a clue what restoration it had. Sure it was bleached and airbrushed, but there was some other touch ups too. I have contacted HA so I hope to know more about it shortly.   :-\

Rosa

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »
Definitely the best course of action to contact Heritage Rosa.

If you can get in touch with Grey, hopefully he can provide you some additional info on what has been done to that window card.  I did not look up what you paid but no doubt it was several thousand $ and you should have some peace of mind for that investment!

Let us know what other info is provided.
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »
All,

I had a word with Gray Smith today at HA who was very helpful and reassuring. He apologised for not replying to my email earlier. He certainly took the time to respond to all my queries. It seems that HA restore my WC, it was done by a restorer called Jaime Mendez, in CA.  GS told me that the WC had water stains and that all the restoration was done archivally. I asked if it was worth doing something elseto the WC and he categorically said that he could not recommend that at all.  Below is the email. I can breath now.. qip
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Rosa

Thank you for the call.

As I mentioned to you, all of the work we have done at Heritage concerning movie posters is done archivally.

The card you purchased was cleaned and the top paper layer of the card was floated off and put onto an archival piece of Japanese paper and reapplied to a chipboard backing as described in the online description.

Please call with any further questions.

---------------------------------------

Now, can I just put on record here, that I am VERY GRATEFUL to everyone of you who took the trouble to read this post and help me.

In particular JEFF, who gave me some good tips about what to look out for, Jeff if you read this, you really must be 'Mr helpful''. And of course, each of you, Paul, Louie, Harry, Ari and Chris. What a nice bunch of people.

I am sorry if I sounded like a crazy-paranoid woman on the verge of a nervous breakdown. :-[  All that I can say is that you all help me a lot thank you!!!  :D :D :D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »
Hooray - glad Grey could help you!

Still have to question why HA's description was not a lot more clear on the work that had been done?  The WC was basically peeled and then the stains airbrushed over as I understand?

"The imprint area of this fantastic window card has been bleached, and the white background has been airbrushed. Fine/Very Fine on Cardstock"

That's, that's all folks...
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
Thanks guys... well, at least now I know how it was done, and he also reassured me that it wasn't trimmed- I did ask him that too! phew.  In all honesty, I still don't know why auction houses cannot enclose a restoration certificate or something along those lines with the poster... oh well, all sorted now   thanks so much :D

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
I know he gave me quite a bit of insight into lobby card restorations when I bought my Wolf Man card.  

Ok, now I NEED to see those sites of yours online...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo