Author Topic: Brude here -- Pretty Cool Place  (Read 10751 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Brude here -- Pretty Cool Place
« on: January 12, 2010, 11:37:17 PM »
Hello all!! The Dread Pirate Mel told me this is where everyone is at.
I have greatly enjoyed looking at your personal collections and reading your posts.  Even though I have been a movie poster bug for more years than I want to admit, I have learned a lot about the hobby from you all. I am getting a greater appreciation for the many foreign designs you have all displayed on line and I am beginning to understand the Alama Drafthouse enthusiasm most of you share.  Awesome. I hope that I can contribute something here.

To start, here's a look at some of my posters.  Very few of these images are my own photos.  I'm heading there.  For the time being, I have been using other peoples' images as markers so that I can have some sort of illustrated document in the interim.  Thank you in advance if you see some of your watermarks here.

I am planning on switching to Picasa because Photobucket has removed three images from my file, the latest being a Frazetta "Luana" that I am furious about.  So this site might not have any images left by next week. While this is not my entire collection, I will be updating regularly but on another site.

As you can see, I really dig on 'escapist' fare, so my collection might offend some of our more cultured visitors, but hey, we all have our guilty pleasures, right?

http://s629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/brude2000/

There is also a folder there marked 4U2, where I have assembled some items that are headed for the chopping block, sell or trade.
Any and all comments -- and offers -- are welcome!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:33:23 AM by holiday »

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
Re: Brude here -- Pretty Cool Place
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »
Welcome!

You have a lot of One Sheets and many completed sets. Congrats!

Chad

linder1

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 04:48:54 AM »
Just FYI - Picasa will sometimes remove photos they deem offensive, although they are less draconian about it than PB.

-Erich

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 05:55:03 AM »
Thats a lot of posters brude, very nice collection!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

guest8

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:55:43 AM »
If you dont mind my asking where do you feel you do most of your buying? Auction houses? Ebay? Dealers? Other collectors ?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »
Hello all!! The Dread Pirate Mel told me this is where everyone is at.  I have greatly enjoyed looking at your personal collections and reading your posts.  Even though I have been a movie poster bug for more years than I want to admit, I have learned a lot about the hobby from you all. I am getting a greater appreciation for the many foreign designs you have all displayed on line and I am beginning to understand the Alama Drafthouse enthusiasm most of you share.  Awesome. I hope that I can contribute something here....

http://s629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/brude2000/

Brude - cool name BTW - is being very modest.  He's got 800 posters in his collection here, including a near-complete Star Wars collection.  

Brude, are all these originals?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 02:00:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback from such an assemblage of esteemed collectors.

Most of the posters are original one-sheets and there are a few video posters.  I only collect video posters if they have a different design, like 300 and Alex Ross' Flash Gordon. There are some foreign pieces that are much smaller, like chirashis for Pan's Labyrinth, XMen 3 and Underworld 2, and some original 1949 Mighty Joe Young pieces (11x14s and a 4x6 Spanish herald).  There are no mini-posters or repros here, except for the ass end where I have titled a handful of full-size repros as 'ZReprints'.

I've acquired them from all sorts of resources over the years, including local theaters and industry contacts. Back in the day, I used to mail-order from Fred Clarke, the late, great creator of Cinefantastique. He used to have a great business.  I also used to frequent The Movie Gallery, a movie memorabilia shop on Long Island.  Bruce and Rich have excellent auction sites and I frequent them more and more often. And of coure, there's Ebay, where you take your chances if you don't ask questions.

Carson, the Battlestar Galactica poster is approx. 18x24 and is one of three that Frazetta painted for the 1978 television premiere.  This one cropped up on Ebay about a year ago, it has corner damage from hanging on someone's wall but it is still very cool.

I am always trying to whittle down and as some of you know (Thanks, Schan!), I post auctions every couple of nights (cheap shameless plug)

http://shop.ebay.com/brude2000/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I have recently sold a Mighty Joe Young 1/2 sheet from a 1953 re-release, a mint set of Jaws lobby cards and a rolled near mint copy of John Alvin's Goonies teaser.  At one point, my home looked like a poor man's Acker-Mansion, but alas and alack, those days are gone. :-[

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
Ah, yes, very nice collection, Brude.  I'm always excited when someone pops up out of nowhere with an extensive collection and a website.  I enjoyed looking at it.  Nice work, man, and welcome to the forum.

T  
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »
Thank you.  Eatbrie, YOUR collection is staggering.
Can you believe that Photobucket just pulled my Illustrated Man INTL for violating whatever?? Sheesh.
I need to start my own website.
Any tips?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »
Thank you.  Eatbrie, YOUR collection is staggering.

Brude, Thierry is the only guy on the planet who with a straight face would say "it will take me a while to dig up my two original ET moon/bike posters [worth $700+ each] because they are buried somewhere under 200 other Spielberg posters" - which are worth god only knows how much!  

:)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »
Mel, I honestly don't think I'm the only one.  Most collectors stack up their stuff and forget about them.  There is no way around it, especially when you own 1000s of posters.  However, I know exactly where each single one of them are.  I have a spreadsheet for it.  Getting to them is a problem, and putting them back is extremely time consuming, because I'm very meticulous and I have to do it one by one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »
I know what is in my piles, but no clue where. I would take me a month to pull anything that is not in my flat file.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 09:43:24 PM »
Mel, I honestly don't think I'm the only one.  Most collectors stack up their stuff and forget about them.  There is no way around it, especially when you own 1000s of posters.  However, I know exactly where each single one of them are.  I have a spreadsheet for it.  Getting to them is a problem, and putting them back is extremely time consuming, because I'm very meticulous and I have to do it one by one.

T

Trust me, it's a compliment - and a direct quotation from your posting on this board: "You just have to be a little patient, because my posters sit underneath 200 other rolled Spielberg posters (Jeannie knows about them) and it will take me some time to get to them."

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
That's because you own more than 10,000 posters, Dale.

FREAK!
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »
Trust me, it's a compliment - and a direct quotation from your posting on this board: "You just have to be a little patient, because my posters sit underneath 200 other rolled Spielberg posters (Jeannie knows about them) and it will take me some time to get to them."

I know.

;)
My Personal Collection

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »
I know what is in my piles

That's gotta hurt

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 10:11:58 PM »
Dale and Thierry are the "Octo-moms" of the poster-collecting world. 

They'll probably end up on welfare too and we'll have to bail their sorry @sses out.

;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »
Don't forget Holiday.

And many many others, even on this forum, who hide their collections.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »
Hi Brude,

I finally had the time to sit down and go through your collection.  You remind me of me!  A little spread out, but it's cool.  You're the only other person I've seen with a copy of the female version of the poster for Wizards.  Also, some of the video and advertising posters you have are neat.  it's definitely worth the time to go through the collection.

Holiday
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 11:29:24 PM »
Thanks, Holiday.  Glad you enjoyed the visit.  Once I get the rest of the collection accounted for and gather the remaining images, I hope to launch a bonafide website where administrators cannot censor my stuff.  It seems they have an aversion to half-clad ladies...who'd a thunk???

sergmark

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 02:45:43 AM »
Brude. I had no idea people collected so many posters. Great collection, brings back some memories of movies we have all seen .. :o :o

I hope to get a couple from your list on the Bay.

Steve

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »
Thanks, Steve. Movie poster collecting is THE best hobby of them all!  qip

Provokin' the neighbor's dog is a close second...

kauaitx

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 04:54:41 PM »

LOL. That is funny.  I'm surprised that video hasn't gone viral all over the Net.  That chimpanzee is just asking for it.

And many many others, even on this forum, who hide their collections.

T

I do not!

I just don't want you nagging me about one of my posters that you want.

(And, I'm lazy.  See, I have this job...and then I have this thing whose initials are MPA that is very demanding.... so I cope in the only way I can.  I procrastinate.)

Jeannie

sergmark

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2010, 11:15:10 PM »
Thanks, Steve. Movie poster collecting is THE best hobby of them all!  qip

Provokin' the neighbor's dog is a close second...

Thats too funny reminds me of a kid that wont quit. I showed my wife, which she is from ukraine 2006 she about fell on the floor..... Thanks for the laughs.

Matt

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 02:26:25 AM »
Been meaning to ask you Ted, have you got any of those posters hung on the wall?