Author Topic: Should I cut signature out of bad condition poster?  (Read 3956 times)

Juli

Should I cut signature out of bad condition poster?
« on: July 14, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
I am looking to sell this poster/signature. It's in bad condition. It's a re-release Rear Window movie poster signed by Jimmy Stewart. I was wondering is it worth more as a poster that is signed, or would it be better to cut out the Jimmy Stewart signature and sell the Jimmy Stewart autograph as an autograph?

Also, if anyone here is interested in buying this from me please send me a message and make me an offer.

~ Juli

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: Should I cut signature out of bad condition poster?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »
Is it an authentic signature? do you have a coa with it? Personally I would just sell it as is.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:29:21 PM »
I agree with Randy.
Sell it 'as is' and let the buyer have the option of removing the sig from the poster.
My two cents...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
I agree with Randy.
Sell it 'as is' and let the buyer have the option of removing the sig from the poster.
My two cents...

Yep.
Chris

Juli

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
Is it an authentic signature?

I believe it is because I have studied Jimmy Stewart's signature quite a bit in the past and used to buy a lot of his signatures. Now I'm looking to resell them.

~ Juli

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »
I know we have had this discussion before and I know what some think, but my opinion is a signature enhances a poster. As long as it can be proven, or known to be legitimate and has some relevance to the poster it's self.

In this case I think the Autograph is worth more than the poster, even if the poster was in great shape they don't sell for much. So the general view of sell as is. Is the right way to go here, and let the future owner do what they want with it.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »
Exactly what Paul said.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 03:58:42 PM »
I would also be more willing to buy that particular poster with sig intact.  From what I can see from the picture, I certainly wouldn't call that poster 'poor'.  Looks like wrinkles and possibly a bit of staining.  Most would rate it 'good'.  Bruce would rate it 'fair to good'  ebay sellers would rate it 'near mint'  ;D
-Jay-

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
I personally thınk the sıgnature and poster ıs a mısmatch - the maın ımage ıs of Hıtchcock - I would love to have had the opportunıty of askıng James Stewart to sıgn a more approprıate poster for me. However, I belıeve the provenance of the sıgnature ıs strengthened by ıt beıng on thıs poster and ın my opınıon the ıtem should be offered for sale ıntact.

Mark

Juli

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 05:30:50 PM »
I think I will sell this poster as is, but if I list it on eBay I will list it under autographs since it's probably more desirable to own as an autograph rather than for the poster itself.

I got this for $10 a few years ago, and they had it listed under posters.

~ Juli
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:32:11 PM by Juli »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »
$10 !?!
Good price!

I got a similar bargain years ago for a framed signed Reservoir Dogs Reprint One Sheet (think it was the Vin Mag Store reprint).

The seller bought it for £600.00 from a shopping channel, decided he wanted to sell it, so put it on eBay, got a decent price for it, then got messed around loads by the winning bidder, so he relisted it (in the wrong category, bad spelling). I stumbled across it accidentally, and the rest as they say is history. It is now on the wall at the top of my landing. Brilliant!  ;D
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 07:16:27 PM »
Cut the poster out of the signature.  It's more valuable.

T

Sorry Juli, I don't believe in signatures.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »
Cut the poster out of the signature.

laugh1
Best wishes,
Adam