Author Topic: Spotlight Displays  (Read 169154 times)

linder1

Re: Spotlight Displays
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
Years ago I had a couple custom frames made from Michaels here in Michigan, But I have not had any of my new posters framed yet. Those done previosly were permanently mounted on some sort of foam backing..H'mm one may be valuable now I think of it.

If it was valuable and you had it permanently mounted (dry mounted) then it is valuable no more unfortunately.

sergmark

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
If it was valuable and you had it permanently mounted (dry mounted) then it is valuable no more unfortunately.
The story is  a person from General Motors wanted a print framed and he dropped off some extras and I bought one in the mid 80's It's a print of a 1953 Corvette and a 1984 . I have never looked for another. But I would hope it would be of some value someday. :P

sergmark

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »
If I used the snap frames Would I have to order two different sizes  27x40 & 27x41 ?

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 12:40:31 AM »
If I used the snap frames Would I have to order two different sizes  27x40 & 27x41 ?

Yes, if you have posters that are those different sizes. It is not wise to try and use a 27x40 in a 27x41 frame, unless you don't care about the poster and value is no concern. Even then it might look tacky if not done right.

sergmark

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
Thanks I know these may be stupid questions but I'm new and in the learning stage. I wasn't sure if there was extra space for that one inch. I want things to fit correctly.
thanks

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »
The story is  a person from General Motors wanted a print framed and he dropped off some extras and I bought one in the mid 80's It's a print of a 1953 Corvette and a 1984 . I have never looked for another. But I would hope it would be of some value someday. :P

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy all 27x41s.  If you're putting a 27x40 in the frame, just put black/white paper at the bottom - you never notice the extra space.   Never fold a valuable poster to fit in a frame - I was stupid and did that way back a few times.  You'll regret it.

sergmark

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »
Thanks Mel.
I think I'm past folding things HAHA I don't want finger prints on them  ;D

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:10 AM »
Cool thing about Spotlight's frames: the back is transparent, so you can show off two posters at the same time:

Hey, Mel....how much does one of these weigh?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »
Hey, Mel....how much does one of these weigh?
Very light - much lighter than a frame from Hollywood Poster Frames. 1-2 pounds?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 10:51:29 AM »
Robert says SD's overlays are acid free and has this test result posted on his site.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 06:51:58 PM »
I am bumping this thread because of my wonderful experience with Robert's customer service I went through today.

I am putting a large Frenchie up in our dining room but don't want to spend a fortune, since I am framing a nice handful of Daniel Danger stuff with all the frills ($600ish for the lot), and the French piece didn't cost a ton so I wasn't too picky on the frame in terms of going the harder route on the wallet.

So, I emailed Robert and he responded in literally a few minutes.  We went back and forth several times, mainly about how I needed an odd size cut and how every time I measured the piece it was slightly different.  Large French stuff is defined at 47x63, mine was like 45 3/8 X 61 7/8 when I pushed it flat.  I also need it by next Wednesday, which was the other thing.

Nevertheless, Robert was extremely helpful and processed my order before I even paid, to get it going so I could have it by then.  
So now, I am getting a huge sized frame in literally a week for my odd sized French piece...all for $135.55, shipped! 

Pretty neat, and an exceptional experience to say the least in this regard.

Will post pics when I have it up in its glory, but thought I would urge you all who are on the fence about Spotlight Displays...Robert is the real deal, and a breath of fresh air in the framing realm of our hobby.

Here is his email, btw:  Sales@spotlightdisplays.com
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 09:50:01 PM »
Congrats on the new frame bud. And yes Robert is the best. I've never had a bad experience with him or his products.

Chad

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »
It's all good.  

Can only add to be sure to insist on matte/non-glare plexi from Spotlight.  It is much more rigid than the glare plexi.

The glare plexi looks somewhat "wavy" especially in bright light.  I ended up demoting most of my Spotlight Displays frames to the bedroom for that reason and replaced them with Hollywood Poster frames.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 10:34:25 PM »
Good call, I just emailed him again, hope its not too late.

I was mistaken,

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »
I am almost positive it comes standard now with his frames. Since one side is non glare and the other side is just the opposite.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 11:50:02 PM »
I am almost positive it comes standard now with his frames. Since one side is non glare and the other side is just the opposite.

About 25% of mine are non-glare and I recently received another glare, even though I requested non-glare.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
Congrats on the new frame bud. And yes Robert is the best. I've never had a bad experience with him or his products.

Yes. Gratz and VERY cool to read.  :)

I have a 33 x 46 German A0 I have been meaning to get framed for a while now and this sounds like the best option.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:42 PM »
Well, the frame arrived in like three days, which is nuts.  Also, everything was so well packed...the packaging alone exceeded my expectations.

For bigger stuff like this one, I would recommend the thicker frame, which as you can see looks really sharp.  My wife was even impressed as to the quality of the frame itself, it looks like a thick wood frame unless you knew otherwise.

This is just a quick pic I took before I put it up on the wall...I included the window in the shot to give an idea of the size of the thing.  The poster is much more vibrant/colorful looking in person, the room just gets alot of light right now (not really direct) and I am also using the non-glare side of the plexi.  I can post a pic of it at night as well if interested.

Will be using Robert/Spotlight Displays for my Italian 4s and US six sheets.  You really cannot go wrong on these for the price.  It doesn't look like a typical 'swap' frame at all, the quality is tremendous.  

Will post a pic of it when its up on the wall.  Excited to be able to display my large French stuff now...

I was mistaken,

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
Looks great. You have definately sold Me.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »
Wonka - can you please confirm the plexi comes rolled for these frames?  What is the quality of the plexi like?  Also, does Spotlight provide an acid-free backing board?
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
Hey Chris,

The plexi does come rolled.  There are two sheets of plexi, which you sandwich the poster between, thus there is no backing board.
The plexi is very thin, but is extremely strong.  So when you undo the rolled bubble packaging, those things spring open pretty quick and forcefully.  There is no flattening on the plexi involved, you literally lay them in the frame...after unrolling they are flat as a pancake.  Also, each piece has a glare and non-glare side which is nice in terms of customization.

The clamps on the frame itself is VERY snug, so the poster and surrounding plexi don't move at all.  There is wobbling when you move it just because there is no backing and in this case, the framed area is huge.  When its on the wall, it won't matter.  You probably could put a thin board on the back side if you really wanted one, but I don't see the point since the plexi is acid-free anyway.

Robert also said that his plexi will be UV free in the near future.  Not a big deal for the room I am using mine in, but will simply order one piece of that plexi when he gets it.

Hope all that helps!

I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
Wow, that is beauteous, Ben!  thumbup

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »
Well, the frame arrived in like three days, which is nuts.  Also, everything was so well packed...the packaging alone exceeded my expectations.

Very nice Ben and I like the wider flaps too - looks very classy.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2011, 10:27:53 PM »
Hey Chris,

The plexi does come rolled.  There are two sheets of plexi, which you sandwich the poster between, thus there is no backing board.
The plexi is very thin, but is extremely strong.  So when you undo the rolled bubble packaging, those things spring open pretty quick and forcefully.  There is no flattening on the plexi involved, you literally lay them in the frame...after unrolling they are flat as a pancake.  Also, each piece has a glare and non-glare side which is nice in terms of customization.

The clamps on the frame itself is VERY snug, so the poster and surrounding plexi don't move at all.  There is wobbling when you move it just because there is no backing and in this case, the framed area is huge.  When its on the wall, it won't matter.  You probably could put a thin board on the back side if you really wanted one, but I don't see the point since the plexi is acid-free anyway.

Robert also said that his plexi will be UV free in the near future.  Not a big deal for the room I am using mine in, but will simply order one piece of that plexi when he gets it.

Hope all that helps!

Thanks Ben.  Appreciate this very much.
Chris

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
Outstanding Ben! It looks great!

Cj