Author Topic: African Queen UK 1-sheet -- And holy sh!t it's finally coming out on DVD/BluRay!  (Read 8470 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Sorry, I'm just posting my UK 1-sheet so I have an excuse to promote the fact that this movie is FINALLY COMING OUT ON BLU-RAY.  It is not even out on DVD yet!  As far as I know it is the only film on the AFI Top 100 which is not and it has been criminal up until today when I heard the good news.  I've been getting by with a crappy Austrian PAL DVD version.  And I once saw it in the theaters where they used an even crappier Chinese pressing, it had almost no color to it... YUCK.  Here's hoping the 4k royal treatment will yield nice results!

If any of you know me from MPF, you'll know that this is one of my all-time favorite films... I own both the UK 1-sheet and the awesome Polish version as well. So I apologize, but I just had to share!

Dr Hackenbush

I don't think anyone will hold it against you for posting that stunning 1 sh.  It boggles the mind that an all time classic like this hasn't been released on DVD when mindless tripe gets put out monthly.  Now all I have to do is wait for Let It Be to finally see the light of day on DVD

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
definitely one of the best posters for an all time classic film.  i am glad you have it properly displayed!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
Nice to see you post it up on this forum Harry!

Chad

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Thanks for the kind comments on my poster all!

But is no one but me excited about this Blu-Ray?  I know I'm not a typical viewer, but this is a more important release for me than something like Star Wars or LOTR extended, or Raiders...  I don't even own a single BR yet (netflix them), but this will be my first purchase!

By the way Dr. Hack, there will always be crappy transfers from asia!  It is probably sourced from the VHS, but it better than nothing until Ringo and Paul decide to once again share the fab 4s darker side with the world...

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
Harry,

That is the way I felt when North By Northwest finally came out on Blu-Ray in Nov. or Dec. It was 10 months over due and I was getting anxious. I'll have to check this one out too.

Chad

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Harry,

That is the way I felt when North By Northwest finally came out on Blu-Ray in Nov. or Dec. It was 10 months over due and I was getting anxious. I'll have to check this one out too.

Chad
I have the NxNW BR sitting in front on loan from a friend!  I'll probably be watching it sometime in the next week.

But at least it was on DVD for years... and in several editions! ;)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
oh, I am excited about the BD release as well.  The obstacles that were keeping it from seeing the light of day on DVD were ridiculous.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline lynaron

• Collector
My favorite Bogie!!  YEAH!!  One of the rare films that has given "type casters" a true chance to prove their chops. 

Lynn
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Excellent news about "African Queen" I will be picking that up on Blu ray. Though I don't know why you don't have it on dvd, as my other copy is on region 2, and quite a reasonable print. It has been out in the U.K. for several years.

I have many Blu ray discs already, and the quality is Fantastic, though some of the older films are not as good as they should be due to the type of film stock they were originaly shot on. that said at the moment you will not get a better quality print without buying the film on 35mm.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Hi Paul-
I do actually have it on DVD already if you check my first post... I have a PAL Austrian copy that passable quality.  I have also seen a Chinese version which was a complete and utter disgrace (if you saw it you would swear the movie wasn't shot in color!).  I know it is out on DVD in the UK as well, but I'm assuming it is the same transfer as my Austrian one.  And I imagine, at best, these transfers came from a 35 print. 

However, this movie was never released on DVD in the US due to some studio dispute.... a criminal act for a movie of this stature!   That is why the Blu-ray release is so important IMO.  After hearing that it will be receiving a full 4K restoration from original negatives, my hopes are high that the step up in quality is going to be immense!  Fingers crossed....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
If you get it before it comes out in this country let me know what it's like, as I am also keen to get this on Blu disc. The U.K. print on dvd is quite reasonable, which is why it must be quite the ticket.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
about 15 years ago, I saw in a second hand store in Perth Western Australia a chair they claimed was used in the film, I wish now I asked more questions (not that I could afford it at the time) but now I'll never know. Remember watching it with my Grandmother as a kid and havent seen since.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Watch it again... you won't regret it.  Bogey is most well known as a smooth operator/private dick, but in this role he really shined in a unique way.  He totally earned his Oscar for this one.  And believe it or not, the movie is one of the best "romantic dramas" I've ever seen.  My wife and I watch it every year on our Anniversary.  Kate and Humph are just fantastic together... one of the sweetest couples ever IMO. 

By the authority vested in me by Kaiser William II, I pronounce you man and wife. Proceed with the execution.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
soon as its on DVD I will, dont have the video and its never on TV here anymore, I remember loving it, but mainly the leaches.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

scartacus

Harry,

That AF one sheet's a real cracker. Do you ever dream about getting your mitts on the quad?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Well, I almost always prefer UK quads to UK 1-sheets... especially when they share the same image as African Queen does.  So it would of course be great to own one someday. 

However, I never dreamed I would be able to afford either one until this poster kind of fell into my lap for a great price.  I don't imagine that will happen again with the quad any time soon... but you never know!

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Here is the first comprehensive comparison to the old DVD editions (from Europe) I've come across: DVD Beaver Comparison of African Queen Blu-Ray

I already have it pre-ordered from Amazon, but I'm relieved to find that it looks fantastic!  Man, I love to see that film grain being preserved!  Here is a quote about the new 4K restoration:

A six-year journey filled with challenges nearly as difficult as those faced by Rose and Charlie, the restoration process began at the source: Romulus Films—one of the film’s original production companies—provided access to the original three-strip negative at a London facility where the film was carefully scanned and digitized. The separate elements were then transferred to Los Angeles and painstakingly recombined and inspected frame by frame to ensure that every detail aligned and that any dirt and scratches were removed.

To ensure that the restored picture matched the filmmakers’ original vision, Paramount arranged a screening of an MPAA archive print for the film’s original cinematographer, Academy Award® winner Jack Cardiff*, whose comments were recorded live during the screening. That same archival print was later screened alongside the newly restored version so that the restoration team could ensure that all of Cardiff’s notes had been addressed. The result is a vibrant, warm picture that reverentially recreates the film as it was originally meant to be seen.

From the best DVD edition (UK):

From the Blu-Ray -- check out the detail in his shirt/beard and you can actually read the "Gordon's" label on the gin crates!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:12:31 PM by Harry Caul »

sergmark

Wow thats a classic movie I haven't seen it in years. Thats a must  bluray buy !!

H'mm I can't see the last post pictures ??

Offline paul waines

• Curator
I cannot see the pics either?

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
Right click on the link and select open in new window. See if that helps you view the pic.

Chad

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Still nothing, It goes off for a second and then back to the X.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Just follow THIS LINK and you can see the full comparison to both existing DVD editions at DVDBeaver.com.  I don't know why the second comparison picture is not showing up within our thread...

sergmark

Just follow THIS LINK and you can see the full comparison to both existing DVD editions at DVDBeaver.com.  I don't know why the second comparison picture is not showing up within our thread...
Thanks for the link.... ;)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
I have the BD box set on the way, I will let everyone know how it is.

BTW, Criterion is releasing another classic, Stagecoach, on BD in may.
Schan
My Poster Gallery