Author Topic: Art Deco Posters  (Read 16083 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Art Deco Posters
« on: July 10, 2011, 07:38:34 PM »
Rocketeer

The Two Jakes

Tucker: The Man and His Dream

Punk Story

Flash Gordon Advance Mylar:

Wicked The Musical
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:53:40 PM by Chop-Top »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Art Deco Posters
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »
My stuff:

And of course all the recent Black Swans:

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »
Another one I lust after but will never own:

Edit:  Try again.  Damn movieposterdb and their no linking policy.  Who the heck does he think looks at his stuff anyway?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:38:30 AM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:25:58 PM »
Not both movie posters (there I go breaking the rules again  eyeroll) but these seem to be at least partially Deco-inspired:

Chris

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 11:47:06 PM »
Not both movie posters (there I go breaking the rules again  eyeroll) but these seem to be at least partially Deco-inspired:

Nice ones!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
I always thought this was the same as the international one sheet.  But after looking closer, I think its a re-rendering because there are some subtle differences.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »

clap
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »
The King of all Art Deco posters!

Metropolis Style A

Metropolis Style E

Metropolis Style H

Metropolis Style I

Metropolis Style J

Metropolis Style K

Metropolis Style O

Metropolis Insert

Metropolis (German Style A)

Metropolis (German Style B)

Metropolis (French Style A)

Metropolis (French Style B)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:59:30 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »
All the Metropolis are great.  Pretty much the epitome of art deco...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:11 AM »

Charlie,

Why do you think this poster is Art Deco? I don't see any deco element in it, myself. (But talk about an image almost identical to the artwork for VERTIGO!)

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:49:42 AM »
Charlie,

Why do you think this poster is Art Deco? I don't see any deco element in it, myself. (But talk about an image almost identical to the artwork for VERTIGO!)

Jeff

I had the same thought, but I just put that one in the "Copy Cats" thread and the "Diagonal" thread.

raulleaf

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »
Charlie,

Jeff

Not sure if my understanding of art deco is the same as yours, so I looked it up.

Art-deco design influences were expressed in the crystalline and faceted forms of decorative Cubism and Futurism.[18][18] Other popular themes of Art Deco were trapezoidal, zigzagged, geometric, and jumbled shapes,[15][19] which can be seen in many early works. Two great examples of these themes and styles are in Detroit, Michigan: the Fisher Building and the Guardian Building.[20]

The use of stepped forms and geometric curves (unlike the sinuous, natural curves of Art Nouveau),[14][25] chevron patterns, ziggurat-shapes, fountains, and the sunburst motif are typical of Art Deco. Some of these motifs were ubiquitous – for example, sunburst motifs were used in such varied contexts as women's shoes, radiator grilles, radio and clock faces, the auditorium of the Radio City Music Hall, and the spire of the Chrysler Building.

I always thought art deco was about the lines and series of lines geometrically arranged.  I may be wrong; not an art major.

However, I would ask the same of the Vampires poster, isn't it more art nouveau?

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 07:30:51 AM »

Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »
I thought you'd contribute eventually Ves ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
Not sure if my understanding of art deco is the same as yours, so I looked it up

Art-deco design influences were expressed in the crystalline and faceted forms of decorative Cubism and Futurism.[18][18] Other popular themes of Art Deco were trapezoidal, zigzagged, geometric, and jumbled shapes,[15][19] which can be seen in many early works. Two great examples of these themes and styles are in Detroit, Michigan: the Fisher Building and the Guardian Building.[20]

The use of stepped forms and geometric curves (unlike the sinuous, natural curves of Art Nouveau),[14][25] chevron patterns, ziggurat-shapes, fountains, and the sunburst motif are typical of Art Deco. Some of these motifs were ubiquitous – for example, sunburst motifs were used in such varied contexts as women's shoes, radiator grilles, radio and clock faces, the auditorium of the Radio City Music Hall, and the spire of the Chrysler Building.

I always thought art deco was about the lines and series of lines geometrically arranged.  I may be wrong; not an art major.

However, I would ask the same of the Vampires poster, isn't it more art nouveau?

The Vampires poster does have a bit of art nouveau to it, i agree. Post modified to remove said "offender"  ;). When looking for deco pieces, this one came up but is not exact.

Re your BURIED poster, I asked because the white lines are not straight and sharp edged but have small angular bumps and an unevenness to them. Just wanted to ask you.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:19:07 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
I thought you'd contribute eventually Ves ;)

Was a killer week for me last week.  Last night was the first real night I had free!
And you know any chance I get to show of Paris :)
Ves

raulleaf

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
The Vampires poster does have a bit of art nouveau to it, i agree. Post modified to remove said "offender." When looking for deco pieces, this one came up but is not exact.

Re your BURIED poster, I asked because the white lines are not straight and sharp edged but have small angular bumps and an unevenness to them. Just wanted to ask you.  ;)

Good point.  Removed since the subject post isn't kinda art deco.  I'll leave the good stuff up to you all...  That is the only one in my collection that came close...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 08:08:40 PM »
Was a killer week for me last week.  Last night was the first real night I had free!
And you know any chance I get to show of Paris :)

Who can blame you Ves?  Answer: noone if they know what's good for them!  ;)
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »

drooling now, harder than ever....
Looks to a be first release daybill...released here in America in 1923...when Down Under?
Great posters, Ves!

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
She's definately one of my favourites...no reason to believe release date wasn't the same time as the US.

(PS.  Lots of goodies for you Ted...hope you got my emails)
Ves