Author Topic: Got double whammied today. UPS and USPS  (Read 8131 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Got double whammied today. UPS and USPS
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:35:38 PM »
Got two shipments today and both ended up damaged.

First, UPS managed to breach Bruce's normally bulletproof packaging

It is the first shipment I have ever had damaged in over 20 years from Bruce, although UPS did their best to kill a tube last week.  The posters were less than perfect already so I'll just let it go.  The Song of Norway didn't have any fold separation before though and this was going to be a gift to my sister.  Oh well, will have to see how it frames up.
-Jay-

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Got double whammied today. UPS and USPS
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:46:40 PM »
Second one has different issues.  It was a couple of lobby cards I picked up from Rixposters on ebay.  Not nearly as well packed  with a manilla envelope and the cards between a couple of corrugated sheets.

Kind of hard to see the bends.  There is another down the center.  It is more visible on the inner packing:

It shows up on the cards, but again they were less than perfect to begin with:

My real issue with this one is that the seller provided a fuzzy picture on this card in his listing that covered up significant damage to Colbert's face:

This was not a shipping issue.  It is pretty obvious that this was a pencil mark that someone tried to erase.  Unfortunately this was also the card I was looking for with both Gable and Colbert pictured.  Here is a link to the ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180685651512

Not sure what to do here.  As you can see, the seller covered up and didn't disclose the damage.  The USPS managed to damage it further, so who do I turn to when complaining?

Jay
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:51:55 PM »
Jay that trully sucks on both counts.

Just a couple of comments - I didn't know Bruce shipped UPS?  But then I thought about it and I guess he will ship whatever the buyer wants to pay for.

As for the lobby card that is a NASTY condition issue being right on the stars' faces!  However, on the enlargeable pic from the auction you CAN clearly see the smudge.  Of course, I can still see why you are upset seeing as the seller did not highlight or specifically list this flaw. 
Chris

raulleaf

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 09:37:42 PM »
I had trouble getting damaged stuff from this guy too.  He wouldn't explicitly say damaged and he would crop his pics just right.  I bought a few lots that were ok but then he nailed me with a few having paper loss.  I bought a Close encounters with the silver border and the way he shot the photo it was not obvious that there was paper loss in the silver part but if you zoomed in it was clearly there.  Like here he blurred it and didn't mention it.  I would ask him for a refund and send the single card back....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:38:20 PM by raulleaf »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
That smudged card should've been clearly marked as such.
I would ask for a refund and I'll bet you'll get it.

Bruce

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
Of course, Jay, you know you can have a full refund, because it was insured, but UPS would likely demand to take the posters. Whichever you want is fine with us.

Bummer it got damaged. Can you post a photo showing the damage to the package? This really only happens one every two or three thousand packages!

Even though I don't think I could have done more to protect them, I very much apologize.

Bruce

P.S. "Blurry" photos are the shady sellers' best friend. That alone has caused me to stop ordering from LOTS of well known dealers and auctions. I swear that some must spend an hour getting the perfect shot that obscures the key damaged area!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 12:39:32 AM »
Of course, Jay, you know you can have a full refund, because it was insured, but UPS would likely demand to take the posters. Whichever you want is fine with us.

Bummer it got damaged. Can you post a photo showing the damage to the package? This really only happens one every two or three thousand packages!

Even though I don't think I could have done more to protect them, I very much apologize.

Bruce

That top photo was the posters in the bag still taped to the board, on top of the outer cardboards and sitting on top of the outer packaging.  Unfortunately the flash washed it out.  I'll try again tomorrow.

The Song of Norway was a $1 poster until the last couple of minutes and went for $12.  It's not worth the bother and I'll just use some conservation tape when I frame it up.  The Vacation looks like it may recover and the damage was less severe.

As for the other one, I took a risk and lost.  Probably chalk it up to "fool me once" as there are two acceptable cards.
-Jay-

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 10:25:01 AM »
Like Chris said, the damage is somewhat visible in the blurry enlarged pic.  That being said, his packaging sucked.  I would try to get a refund, if that doesn't work neg him on the packaging and ding his star rating for same

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
Like Chris said, the damage is somewhat visible in the blurry enlarged pic.  That being said, his packaging sucked.  I would try to get a refund, if that doesn't work neg him on the packaging and ding his star rating for same

Damage is a lot easier to spot when you know what you are looking for.  Yeah, I can see it NOW, but when I bid there was so much wrong with that image that I simply overlooked it.  We tend to get spoiled by the images that Bruce and Rich put up on their sites.

I do understand that I had some responsibility here, and will suck it up.  I'm also going to put Rixposterz over on the to avoid list now.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »
Hey Jay,

Have you also gotten in touch with Rick to mention the damaged card, its non disclosure and the poorer packaging? Did he respond to you (hopefully)?

Good luck with this.

Jeff

-Jeff