Author Topic: Recalled movie posters  (Read 74951 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Recalled movie posters
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 10:23:01 PM »
Probably the "0" feedback factor Mel.
Chris

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 04:28:56 AM »
If it's the double-sided version it's a great price.

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »
That seller appears legit and is selling a decent collection, including this Hustler Japanese B2:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
Good subject...

That's interesting on The Fugitive, according to http://www.allmoviereplicas.com/The-Fugitive-Single-Sided-Sheet-Movie-PosterRecalled-Advance.html "...Ninety-nine percent of these erroneous posters were destroyed and very few have survived. The studios did not create an advance replacement version making this poster a very rare must-have collectible...." Dunno how true that statement is.

Still, if it is then what great news - because I have two of them! ;D

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFF, I wish I would have seen that B2, that is a steal.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2012, 01:39:21 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFF, I wish I would have seen that B2, that is a steal.

Dale, was that B2 Hustler a recalled poster?

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »
No, but at 100 that is cheap for that poster.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »
Thanks, Dale.

I didnt think it was but wanted to ask.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2012, 09:02:48 PM »
It's a cool effect, the negative.
Never seen it before.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »
Due to the Travon Martin case, Fox changed "Neighborhood Watch" to "The Watch."  I picked up this one sheet with the former title.  Technically, Fox probably did not recall this poster but I suppose it's close enough to fit in this thread:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:13:57 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 02:27:46 AM »
Due to the Travon Martin case, Fox changed "Neighborhood Watch" to "The Watch."  I picked up this one sheet with the former title.  Technically, Fox probably did not recall this poster but I suppose it's close enough to fit in this thread:

Very cool as is.
David

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 07:56:34 AM »
The Neighborhood Watch poster has been popping up on US Ebay, if you want it.  I don't think it will ever be super valuable but better get it while it's still reasonably available.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2012, 12:03:09 PM »
This December Skyfall supposedly is being "recalled" because the release date has been changed to November:

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2012, 03:31:34 PM »
http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/LRG/40/4023/N6TWF00Z/art-print/the-big-boss-italian-movie-poster-1971.jpg

Rejected tite in Italy......I guess they wanted to capitalize on FoFs Italian title , to emphasise it was another Lee movie.

Italian release :

-Fist of Fury (native Italian title "Chinese Fury")
-Big Boss (native title "Chinese Fury strikes again")
-WotD (x-mas '73 release perhaps.....no info whatsoever ??)
-EtD (Jan '74 release)

U.K :

-FoF
-BB
-EtD
-WotD

Germany :

-BB
-FoF
-EtD
-WotD

Japan :

-EtD
-BB
-FoF
-WotD

Indonesia :

-BB
-EtD
-WotD
-FoF

Yugo :

-BB/EtD/WotD , all prolly 1974-75
-FoF '78

Only SE Asia (H.K , Sing , Malay , Philllippines) and various Chinatowns saw Way of Dragon before Lee died......
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 03:41:19 PM by Tang Lung in Rome »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
Tang,it`s great this place has a top class Bruce Lee poster expert..
Such a niche area of collecting,
I remember when Bruce Lee was the coolest guy on the planet.. thumbup

Stew

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
This December Skyfall supposedly is being "recalled" because the release date has been changed to November:

Who said that?

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:55 PM »
"Was"......he still IS ;D

Maybe Jackie wouldn't have been a big star if Lee hadn't died......it's very plausible they'd done a movie together.

Ponti wanted Lee in a movie with Loren , Lee said he wanted 2 mill minimum to even consider it.

Anyway , back on topic.......

Through the Stones

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2012, 12:47:47 AM »
Is that why that silver foil 007 was recalled!?  I ALWAYS wondered if I had something cool with that one... it was handed to me in my theater from an Airborne Express driver and it went home with many weeks later...

Also, my understanding of the Spiderman advance recall was due to licensing issues with the Chrysler building?  Yes, no?

Others I can think of form my time in the theaters include:
- Titanic Summer advance - I heard it was recalled because the film release date was changed due to Harrison Ford not wanting such heavy competition against Air Force One
- Star Wars 1997 Special Edition - Return of the Jedi was moved ahead a week from March 7th to March 14th (I think they missed a print strike deadline because some of the CG wasn't done?).  Both the ADV and ROTJ one sheets were re-printed and sent out.  Oddly, my friends 12 plex only got a small green sticker with the new date and a letter telling them to put it over the date.  I got a new double sided Version E with the new date.  Does anyone know if Version F was ever released double sided?  I have a single sided and have NEVER seen one double.
- Gone with the Wind 1997 re-release had the wrong release date.  Our came to the theater with a new sticker already on it - I have it and spent half an hour one day peeling it off perfectly with no residue left behind

I haven't had a chance to read 9/10ths of this forum but do you define recalled as in a studio actually recalls the posters or requests to have them destroyed (which seems more logical)?  Or just re-releasing them in a corrected state with no explanation? 

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2012, 03:59:28 AM »
I haven't had a chance to read 9/10ths of this forum but do you define recalled as in a studio actually recalls the posters or requests to have them destroyed (which seems more logical)?  Or just re-releasing them in a corrected state with no explanation?  

As I understand, the studio normally just sends a replacement poster for "recalled" posters and rarely checks or requires that they be destroyed. For example, the Gone With The Wind style "Empire Strikes Back" poster was quickly replaced after Billy Dee Williams complained about his absence from the poster but was not really "recalled."

One exception is the Pulp Fiction "Lucky Strikes" one sheet. Miramax fined theaters $10 for each poster not returned. Presumably most were actually returned since they are extremely rare.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:00:56 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

One-Sheet

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »

I have this Batman Returns, which was apparently recalled because DC comics didn't like the design

Actually this poster was recalled and then re-issued with the date June 19 added beneath "Returns."   Some critics and theater owners complained because of the poster's minimalist design saying that they could not make out the Bat symbol and get what the poster was promoting.  I worked at a movie theater at the time both posters were released and I have the first one that was issued without the date.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:37:30 PM by One-Sheet »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2012, 04:45:00 AM »
Who said that?
To be honest, it is seen only on a line in an ebay seller's advert.

It may or may not be recalled, in the same way the other dated posters from this series may or may not have been withdrawn.  There are five US released posters (to my current knowledge).  The only possible reason for supposing it is recalled is because it is the one date that does not have a corresponding '..in IMAX' tag line poster version, a la October and November.

Chinese whispers, for want of any further knowledge.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:48:00 AM by Simes »

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2012, 05:12:06 AM »
Not sure about that Batman Returns advance. We had the undated one at our cinema (UK) so I would suggest the undated was an International. If DC didn't like the design, adding a date isn't really adding much is it?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
Not sure about that Batman Returns advance. We had the undated one at our cinema (UK) so I would suggest the undated was an International. If DC didn't like the design, adding a date isn't really adding much is it?

The recalled poster is the first US version, although this seems more like a quick replacement (new ones arrive), rather than an actual recall (send old ones back).  The replacements were sent out almost immeadiately - so quickly that some theaters hadn't recieved the 'no date' version, by the time the 'dated' version arrived...

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2012, 12:07:23 PM »
I guess that makes sense. So the reason for that was they just wanted the date adding rather than not liking the design as previously stated?

One-Sheet

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
I guess that makes sense. So the reason for that was they just wanted the date adding rather than not liking the design as previously stated?

Yes.  They shipped the dated poster to theater owners with instructions to return or destroy the non-dated one.  If they didn't like the design it would have made no sense to print it again with the date.   The general consensus about the poster artwork was not well received though.  The reaction was that it was too plain and boring and some people could not make out the image of the bat symbol to know what it was advertising. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:15:03 PM by One-Sheet »