Author Topic: I want to try to linen back a poster.  (Read 37435 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: I want to try to linen back a poster.
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »
Cant you do like bruce, use an auction website service but one that allows you to have other sellers auction through your auction service. That would be better than building a new site for 25K. You can still retain the pages you like on your current site after you off load the auction part for a monthly fee I presume.

I'm all about ownership brother

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Charlie and Sil--

When are you guys each planning on the backing attempts?

-Jeff

Charlie

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
Charlie and Sil--

As soon as I rent my house... Probably April....

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
well, it was professional back when it was built.. but then the previous owner let a non-professional do some work and that's when the problems begans. Too bad I can't spend $25,000 to get it replaced

Look I am not judging that website and the others you run/own except to say at no stage was that design ever been built by a professional web designer - OK, if the person who did it got paid then technically... Nor am I going to get into a discussion about replacement costs, you have your advice and that's it.

The point I was making is that there is a bunch of people in this thread (me included) who want to have a crack at backing their own posters, I think everyone has enough intelligence to not try to back their precious BAT and I simply doubt many if any want to take it on as serious living - but if we (my angle) can back a $50 poster that needs it to save it and I am confident from trying my hand at a few of my throw-a-ways then that's what it is all about.

Telling us do NOT do it is like telling a guy not to paint his house or a woman not to knit that sweater or you not to fix your old car, if we can then why not, we all know it may not come out in which case we can always revert back to the professional

I am sure for many it will be a nice circle to complete for many to complete in our hobby as well.
David

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2012, 09:51:32 PM »
Charlie and Sil--

I'm going to do an old daybill, mainly because it is smaller thus easier to handle and the materials for a one off will be be cheap rather than bulking buying because I am probably not as confident as Charlie in going the whole hog and getting all the materials up front
David

Bruce

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »
I very much admire all of your enthusiasm (all of you wanting to do this), but I think that Rich, like I, has seen a LOT of mediocre to terrible restoration that was done by well-intended amateurs.

But I wish you guys the best of luck, and urge you to stick to worthless posters at first, and post many images of your early efforts.

If they don't turn out too well, you can always sell them to Thierry. He loves backed posters!

Bruce

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »
Overall, I think its a cool project. 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 12:12:04 AM »
Well if stacks of 1931 one sheets can survive in a roof wheatpasted together then what harm can you possibly do?

Take the power back!
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »
It's on now....   

Again good ol' Dad...  Now if I could just rent my damn house...