Author Topic: Captain America  (Read 7317 times)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Captain America
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
I have a 1990 Captain America poster that measures 27" x 40" I was wondering if anyone can tell me how much it is worth?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
Re: Captain America
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:47:52 AM »
Thank you I will check that out. Are the prices on that website accurate or can the poster be worth more?

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:59:00 AM »
Thank you I will check that out. Are the prices on that website accurate or can the poster be worth more?

Those are actual sales prices, so chances are very good that unless your copy is lined with gold, it's going to run in that average.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »
You also need to note that these prices tend to run over a period of years.  They reflect an overall up and down trend for poster prices over the years.  Since this movie is 1990 vintage, they will also reflect an initial spike  when the movie was hot and also a dip in prices a few years later when people were lining birdcages with it.  Finally, note that most of the ones Bruce sold were either for the teaser or the argentinean version.  If you have a regular release 1 sheet, all bets are off as Bruce hasn't sold one, unless it was in that bulk lot.

My point is that you need to understand Bruce's database.  Look toward recent sales and also watch condition and styles.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »
There is no regular release one-sheet for the USA, as the movie was pulled here and released directly to video.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 06:17:57 PM »
Well how can I tell if this is authentic so that I can determine what the value is on this?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »
Well how can I tell if this is authentic so that I can determine what the value is on this?

welcome1 to APF, rdavey.
The first place you should probably start is by measuring the poster.  That particular poster (like Bruce's emovieposter.com's listing says) is a full 27x41 inches.
If it is slightly less, then you can start to be suspicious.
I personally don't know of this poster having been reprinted, but you can check http://movieposterauthenticating.com/Movie%20Poster%20Authenticating.html
a website devoted to specific titles that are known to have been reproduced and the comparison photos of originals and reprints.  Many of the same issues, like fuzzy text, inconsistent image cropping, etc., are covered in great detail there.
Also, take a close look at Bruce's scan of the movie poster and compare it against yours, to make sure all the fine type (copyrights, etc.) are the same as what you have on yours. Any differences are red flags that should be investigated further.
Additionally, you can help us help you if you post pics of the posters in question.
Let us know what you find out.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 09:14:57 PM »
Ok I will try and get it posted on here. Last time I tried it said that it was to big. So I will see what I can do to get it posted on here for everyone to see.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »
Ok I will try and get it posted on here. Last time I tried it said that it was to big. So I will see what I can do to get it posted on here for everyone to see.

To post pictures, you need something like a Photobucket or Picasa account, where you can upload your images and then paste the [IMG] code on the forum.
These accounts are free and take just a few moments to open and upload.
If you need any help, just PM me.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
You mentioned that your copy is 27x40? As Ted, mentioned, with real copies needing to be 27x41, that could be your red flag right there.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »
I measured it and it is 27x41 single sided.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 10:27:45 PM »
I am working on the photobucket right now so will have something soon for you.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
Here is that link and any information that you have about any of the other posters would be great as well.
http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/rdavey26/

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 11:40:25 PM »
Does anyone know why this one is bigger then most theatrical movie posters?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »
its not.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 12:02:59 AM »
Isnt the normal theatrical movie posters 27x40 or are they 27x41?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 12:25:56 AM »
depends on the date, until quite recently in poster terms the standard was (for US 1 Sheets) 27x41, then the standard changed to 27x40.
But some titles from all eras have been a bit bigger or a bit smaller.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 12:27:04 AM »
Chris

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 12:31:23 AM »
Oh ok I guess that makes more sense now. Thank you for all your help everyone. Im new to this and still learning.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 12:39:08 AM »
Oh ok I guess that makes more sense now. Thank you for all your help everyone. Im new to this and still learning.

No problem at all!  There are many other useful articles on LAMP http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/ besides the one I posted - check them out.
Chris

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 12:47:01 AM »

It's definitely a lot to take in all at once, but I think you're doing it the right way by having a frame of reference in a poster that you actually have in your hands.  It's pretty exciting following the path.  Have fun with it, and don't be afraid to ask questions.  You're doing exactly what I did years ago in terms of learning.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
I will do so for sure. I started my collection about a month ago and have obtained right around 50 posters. Some I have gotten from the theaters and others from a lady that was a manager at a theater. Most of my posters are double-sided. I am going to keep collecting lol. Found myself a new hobby. I recently purchased some such as Braveheart, In the Line of Fire, Home Alone, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Dragon the Bruce Lee Story and many more from a lady for 5 dollars a piece. I hope I did not get robbed lol. I have also obtained some Disney posters as well such as The Lion King, Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds end, Cars 2, Brother Bear and many more. The disney ones I obtained for free from Disney. I am hoping they are all worth something lol. Not that I intend to sell any of them unless the price is right lol.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 01:18:24 AM »
I will do so for sure. I started my collection about a month ago and have obtained right around 50 posters. Some I have gotten from the theaters and others from a lady that was a manager at a theater. Most of my posters are double-sided. I am going to keep collecting lol. Found myself a new hobby. I recently purchased some such as Braveheart, In the Line of Fire, Home Alone, Pulp Fiction, Schindler's List, Dragon the Bruce Lee Story and many more from a lady for 5 dollars a piece. I hope I did not get robbed lol. I have also obtained some Disney posters as well such as The Lion King, Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds end, Cars 2, Brother Bear and many more. The disney ones I obtained for free from Disney. I am hoping they are all worth something lol. Not that I intend to sell any of them unless the price is right lol.

At 5 a piece, or free, it's hard to beat the price.  Be careful with condition on new posters.  If they're not damned near mint, they are not worth anything except the value you place on them as wall art.  "Older" ones like the Captain America you have you can get away with a wee little bit of wear, but even what you have showing in the pics you posted is too much.  As you browse the auctions and the posters in the collections of members of this site, pay attention to condition so that you get a bearing on what is truly "collectible condition". 
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

guest8

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 08:40:52 AM »
At 5 a piece, or free, it's hard to beat the price.  Be careful with condition on new posters.  If they're not damned near mint, they are not worth anything except the value you place on them as wall art.  "Older" ones like the Captain America you have you can get away with a wee little bit of wear, but even what you have showing in the pics you posted is too much.  As you browse the auctions and the posters in the collections of members of this site, pay attention to condition so that you get a bearing on what is truly "collectible condition". 

I learned this lesson from one of Bruces auctions .. When I first started collecting I bought a poster rated as "Good" condition and when I got it there were all sorts of flaws.. Then I read up on the rating scales  .. Good doesnt always mean its in good condition .. in Bruces auctions "good" actually is a below average rating..  Its been while since i looked but I think his scale goes something like this .. Poor, Fair, Good, Fine, Very Fine and Excellent.. Always look at pictures and unless you honestly, truly never intend to sell anything make sure you buy one that is in a desirable condition .. Anymore I dont look at something unless its Fine/Near Mint/C7 or better .. Unless its hard to come by in any condition then all bets are off :)

Heres a good run down of the different types of rating scales ..
http://www.learnaboutmovieposters.com/newsite/index/articles/conditions.asp