Author Topic: I'm boycotting linen  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
I'm boycotting linen
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:25:35 AM »
I know, I know modern movie posters should never be linen-backed in the first place, but I'm done. I recently purchased a Halloween Blue Box poster on linen from an asshole who said "only the folds were restored". When I got the poster, it was probably a C5 before restoration because I could see the restoration lines all over the poster not just at the fold lines. Fuck linen, or rather fuck "modern restored linen-backed posters"!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: I'm boycotting linen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:20:24 AM »
chop top.. you don't understand his meaning.. only the folds WERE restored
the rest of it was covered up

:P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:00:25 AM »
Yes, clearly there WAS a communication breakdown. Good call.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:53:54 PM »
I know, I know modern movie posters should never be linen-backed in the first place, but I'm done. I recently purchased a Halloween Blue Box poster on linen from an asshole who said "only the folds were restored". When I got the poster, it was probably a C5 before restoration because I could see the restoration lines all over the poster not just at the fold lines. Fuck linen, or rather fuck "modern restored linen-backed posters"!

Hey Ryan,

do you have a pic of this poster, by any chance, that you could post?

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 11:28:30 PM »
Not his poster (obviously) but this is a linen backed poster I have that is too modern to be backed, its the clay based paper stock, the ink cracks at the folds and there is no way to make it look right, touching up the fold lines will MAYBE improve, but never be invisible (or nearly) as can be done on matt paper stock.
This was a gift to me, and I love it, and the backer (and gift giver) gave it her best shot, but its impossible to make glossy posters (look) new.
It did need it as apparently it looked like a dog shat on it, so needed a bath. Actually I think the hardest part is the black areas, you can paint black but it doesnt have the same gloss as the original ink.

Great film, great poster, might tack it to my wall and enjoy.

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

raulleaf

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
I am a bit confused by the fuss regarding linen.  Are we saying:

Linen backing is bad because it screws up the originality of the poster?

or that

Linen/restoration sucks because it doesn't cover up flaws good enough to look good on the wall?

or that

Linen sucks because you can't really tell what condition the poster was in before it was linen backed?

What are we trying to achieve with linen backing; increased value? improved presentation? better preservation?

Its a poster; let it be what ever it wants to be.  If you don't like it buy another one. Right?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:29:26 AM »

or that

Linen/restoration sucks because it doesn't cover up flaws good enough to look good on the wall?

or that

Linen sucks because you can't really tell what condition the poster was in before it was linen backed?

What are we trying to achieve with linen backing; increased value? improved presentation? better preservation?

Its a poster; let it be what ever it wants to be.  If you don't like it buy another one. Right?

Well...I think each situation is different and of course each collector gets a poster backed for a wide range of reasons - you've basically covered them all but there is no "simple explanation" as context is key!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:14:17 AM »

or that

or that

In addition to Chris' comments -- unlike newer or modern posters, finding another copy of a vintage or rarer piece is not as simple as going out and buying another copy. It could be months or years before a certain title could show up again. IMO, backing should only be done as a means to conserve and protect a fragile or failing poster from complete loss or deterioration. Backing to simply lessen the appearance of fold lines, or to back a new poster that doesnt need it at all, is like throwing money away.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 03:30:03 AM »
I've been thinking about this issue a lot. This may sound crazy, but I think backing certain posters, aside from the preservation aspect, can compliment the look of the poster. For instance, for some artwork that has a grainy, rugged or textured look to it, backing the poster can boost that effect.

One example that comes to mind is The Outlaw Josey Wales. That is about as rugged as a movie poster can be both in subject matter and design. I have this very poster on linen with just the folds touched up. The grain of the starch and the texture of the linen boosts the overall look and feel of the poster. Josey Wales is also one of those posters that you'll likely never find rolled and looks way better with the folds touched up, while the art still allows for hiding of the restoration lines-unlike a solid black poster like Halloween, which I have but will never put on linen.

Another example of a poster that may look better on linen is Mad Max. That poster also has a very rugged, stylized feel to it and the artwork allows for easy restoration hiding. Just some thoughts. Yes, this also means I'm not boycotting all linen, just most of it!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:33:24 AM by Chop-Top »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »
I've been thinking about this issue a lot. This may sound crazy, but I think backing certain posters, aside from the preservation aspect, can compliment the look of the poster. For instance, for some artwork that has a grainy, rugged or textured look to it, backing the poster can boost that effect.

One example that comes to mind is The Outlaw Josey Wales. That is about as rugged as a movie poster can be both in subject matter and design. I have this very poster on linen with just the folds touched up. The grain of the starch and the texture of the linen boosts the overall look and feel of the poster. Josey Wales is also one of those posters that you'll likely never find rolled and looks way better with the folds touched up, while the art still allows for hiding of the restoration lines-unlike a solid black poster like Halloween, which I have but will never put on linen.

Another example of a poster that may look better on linen is Mad Max. That poster also has a very rugged, stylized feel to it and the artwork allows for easy restoration hiding. Just some thoughts. Yes, this also means I'm not boycotting all linen, just most of it!

Interesting thought here, Chop. Have you done any posters of your own to see if this helped with that look you were thinking would be achieved?

I wouldn't back a poster for that reason... but to each his own and that's all that matters.  :)

And if you did try this, were the results successful, visually?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:39:55 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 05:44:16 PM »

It did need it as apparently it looked like a dog shat on it,

The dog ate processed humans before shitting the poster?
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Hallucination Generation

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 07:09:38 PM »
I'm boycotting wool.

No reason.

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 02:53:43 PM »
Well I'm boycotting boycotts and intend to back all of my posters with linen AND wool.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 02:57:55 PM »
Well I'm boycotting boycotts and intend to back all of my posters with linen AND wool.

clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »
...and I'm backing the fronts too.
Nick
Utter gent.

Mirosae

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »