Author Topic: Michael Jackson's Thriller Jacket Auctioned for $1.8M  (Read 5507 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Michael Jackson's Thriller Jacket Auctioned for $1.8M
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »
June 27, 2011

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — A famed black-and-red calfskin jacket that Michael Jackson wore in the classic "Thriller" video has sold at auction for $1.8 million.

Darren Julien, president and CEO of Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills, says the jacket was purchased Sunday by Milton Verret, a commodities trader from Austin, Texas.

The jacket is one of two Jackson wore during the filming of the 1983 "Thriller" video. Jackson wears the jacket in a scene with a troupe of zombies who rise from their graves and break into a dance routine.

Verret says the jacket will be sent on tour and used as a fundraising tool for children's charities.

A portion of the sale price will go to the Shambala Preserve, a big cat sanctuary caring for two tigers Jackson one owned.

-Jeff

DreamWarrior

Re: Michael Jackson's Thriller Jacket Auctioned for $1.8M
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »
A portion of the sale price will go to the Shambala Preserve, a big cat sanctuary caring for two tigers Jackson one owned.
Awsome. Tigers need all the help they can get. It's too bad so many have to be in captivity. :'( At least they won't be butchered for the fur and other parts.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:05:22 PM »
We had three Tigers born here in Syracuse NY, in May.  They should be on exhibit sometime in August or September.
I'll be at the zoo Wednesday am for the unveiling of their Asian elephant exhibit, a long-overdue upgrade after the tragic drowning of a newborn pachyderm two years ago.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Tiger-cub-triplets-born-at-Rosamond-Gifford-Zoo/IZNyAn1A00Kg0751xiS6AA.cspx

I think it's awesome that Tippi Hedren (The BIRDS, MARNIE) set up the Shambala Preserve.  She has been a tireless activist for animals (particularly big cats) and her efforts should be supported by all those who care about the future of these great animals.  I think Jacko would be real happy to see that his clothing will generate some money for Hedren's work.

Check out her videos and visit her website...

http://www.shambala.org/

One of my greatest memories -- about 30 years ago -- was playing with 5 white tiger cubs behind the scenes at the Bronx Zoo.  It was an incredible and unforgettable experience for me, and I've bottle-fed pumas, napped with cheetahs and raised a dozen black bears. The fate of all large carnivores is in our hands -- and they are disappearing fast. If any of you poster ho's have excess bucks, there are many worthwhile foundations out there that need your support.

DreamWarrior

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
Great post Ted, you da man! I'm hitting the blackjack table this weekend and hope to bring home some dough to donate.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:52:18 PM by DreamWarrior »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »
Great post Ted, you da man! I'm hitting the blackjack table this weekend and hope to bring home some dough to donate.

Best of luck at the table, DW.
If you score for the wild things, it will be time and money well spent.
 thumbup

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »
I never understand these people, "the Jacket is going on tour"!!!   Why didn't he just donate the 1.8 million instead? I don't think the Jacket will make that kind of money on tour........... Still it may depend on it's warm-up act, and backing group..... :-\
It's more than a Hobby...

DreamWarrior

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
Best of luck at the table, DW.
If you score for the wild things, it will be time and money well spent.
 thumbup
Thanks Ted. If I hit it really big I'm also gonna get screenwriter software to finish my screenplay.  8)