Author Topic: "Tricked out" movie posters - posters with unique physical characteristics  (Read 40447 times)

Dr Hackenbush

Re: "Tricked out" movie posters - posters with unique physical characteristics
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 12:38:12 PM »
You need to get out more Mel.  Back in the 60s they made this really cool black light poster for Majin, and there is also one for Gamera vs. Barugon from the same studio.

That's cool as hell, Sean.  I know Marvel issued a few black light posters in the early/mid 70's, but those were commercial posters and not for movies

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: "Tricked out" movie posters - posters with unique physical characteristics
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 02:01:48 PM »
So how 'bout some pics of those posters UNDER black light?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Alright Mel,
when looking for something else I ran back into these black-light posters for Gigantis (1959 - the earliest blacklight I am aware of) and Majin (1966).
So I went ahead and tried to get photos for you:

then while shooting I noticed the Nightmare Before Christmas lobby I had hanging up had some cool reflectivity in the logo and other places (but the photo didn't turn out as well)

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Dread_Pirate_Mel

I ran back into these black-light posters for Gigantis (1959 - the earliest blacklight I am aware of) and Majin (1966).
So I went ahead and tried to get photos for you:

The black light era lives again!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic

Cool black light designs, too bad they swiped this GIGANTIS art from BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

I'll add some trippy triptychs. Here's the latest from Cars 2:

A "duo"tych? Were these actually printed? Never seen one for sale:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:58:51 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Disheveledamethyst

I'll add some trippy tryptychs. Here's the latest from Cars 2:

I brought this poster set up on the Animation Posters thread. I'm still trying to get it - the work that went behind creating it is really impressive for an animation fan:

Featured Characters
Tokyo: 130 posed characters, 2 simulated crowds
London: 145 posed characters, simulated traffic
Italy: 140 posed characters, simulated crowds
Total: 415 posed characters

Composition
Total shots: 20 cameras and locations per poster = 60 individual shots
Total staff: 20-25 people: CS TDs, layout artists, master lighters, matte painters, simulation TDs
Total time to complete: 5 months

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
I brought this poster set up on the Animation Posters thread. I'm still trying to get it - the work that went behind creating it is really impressive for an animation fan:

Featured Characters
Tokyo: 130 posed characters, 2 simulated crowds
London: 145 posed characters, simulated traffic
Italy: 140 posed characters, simulated crowds
Total: 415 posed characters toys available at a store near you...

FTFY... It's the Lucas approach to merchandising.  Can I interest you in a Spaceballs: The Flamethrower?

BTW, have you ever won anything in a Pixar Projectionist contest (2nd prize is always an autographed adv poster)?

Disheveledamethyst

FTFY... It's the Lucas approach to merchandising.  Can I interest you in a Spaceballs: The Flamethrower?

BTW, have you ever won anything in a Pixar Projectionist contest (2nd prize is always an autographed adv poster)?

No, I haven't. Nor have I ever heard of this contest. What is it?

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
No, I haven't. Nor have I ever heard of this contest. What is it?

For every Pixar reelease they have a contest that is only for projectionists.  The grand prize is a trip to and tour of Pixar Headquarters.  Second prize (100 given away) is an adv poster of the film autographed by the director and sometimes the producer - a note on Pixar letterhead comes paperclipped to the poster).  Just for entering, they usually send out a consolation prize (baseball cap or some such).  I have seen two of the posters, Ratatouille and Up (I have this one), but I believe they started with The Incredibles...

In the film cans/hard drive case of every print is a plastic case with the pixar equivalent of baseball cards.  Each card has a character from the movie on the front and general Projectionist info on the back - Toy Story 3 had a really nice lenticular card.  Somewhere on the cards they tell you to go to website and enter a password to enter the contest.

Disheveledamethyst

So that's what those damn cards are... I have a whole stack going back to Cars. I'll have to make sure I get involved this month!

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
I can appreciate this one Mel

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
Surprised this one hasn't been posted yet. I'm having difficulty flattening it around the bite mark, but still a cool poster.

Witty signature goes here.

Through the Stones

Surprised this one hasn't been posted yet. I'm having difficulty flattening it around the bite mark, but still a cool poster.

That is interesting!  Is that on paper or mylar?  I'm trying to think of how they achieved that bite pattern.  What type of machine?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

I like the "shark bite" poster.  Here's the other Dancing poster, all "aglitter".....

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:16:05 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder

The trick with this poster, which is on thicker than normal paper, is finding one where the jagged bites are not torn or folded.

Threenero

That is interesting!  Is that on paper or mylar?  I'm trying to think of how they achieved that bite pattern.  What type of machine?

It's called a Die cutter.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
I remember yeahs ago Bruce had a jaws poster with a large chunk missing and the sales pitch made it sound like what they have done here.  Maybe the stole his idea.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder

It is paper. I've seen the poster listed as 'die-cut' but don't know if that helps. I imagine there was a large press the would simply come down on the stack and shear away the bite area. Just a guess.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
The trick with this poster, which is on thicker than normal paper, is finding one where the jagged bites are not torn or folded.

Fortunately mine has neither tears nor folds.
Unfortunately the poster was rolled too tight so it's been a beach to flatten.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Here is another die cut example.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Through the Stones

Here is another die cut example.

I think that bug has ulterior motives here...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
It's a she bug, this is the female version of top gun.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
It's a she bug, this is the female version of top gun.

Don't tell anyone else Ari
Chris

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
I remember yeahs ago

Ari, have you been drinking?